Cruise control won't hold - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 5:48 am Thread Starter

Cruise control won't hold

any idea what to look for? I set my cruise control and it will hold until there is a need for more acceleration or deceleration. it will release if under any load. any suggestions?

As always, Thank you in advance

Rick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 K1200LT C New to me 4-06-09
2002 Honda VTX 1800- SOLD
1983 Honda Goldwing interstate - SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 6:35 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Cruise control won't hold

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesdad
any idea what to look for? I set my cruise control and it will hold until there is a need for more acceleration or deceleration. it will release if under any load. any suggestions?

As always, Thank you in advance

Rick
Most the time it's the "clutch " Micro switch. Remove the cover on the underside of the clutch lever. You will see the switch , just loosen the screw , push the switch tight against the clutch then tighten the set screw. Mine did the same thing last year.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 7:24 am

Rick,
on mine the switch on the throttle bodies failed. I believe there 4 micro switches that can shut off the cruise.

Clutch, front brake, rear brake, throttle. Any one of these could be causing the problem.

If your hearing is good I believe you should be able to hear them click if they are working. Hopefully some one with more knowledge can confirm this.

good luck

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT

post #4 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 10:11 am

Two responses so far and they are only telling you where there failures were. Click Here for the cruise control diagnostics. Since yours seems to happen on either speeding up or slowing down it could be the switch on the frame rail.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Two responses so far and they are only telling you where there failures were. Click Here for the cruise control diagnostics. Since yours seems to happen on either speeding up or slowing down it could be the switch on the frame rail.
When I ran the diagnostics it showed NO FAULTS so I started with the clutch switch first. It was loose and moving it closer into the leaver did the trick.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Your sig indicates that you've only had this bike less than a month, so just want to make sure not to overlook the obvious...like that fact that if you roll-off the throttle manually, this will cause the cruise to disengage. Sometime when I hit a bump, I don't even realize that I've done it (rolled off the throttle), but I have. IT sounds like another problem here...but I just want to make sure to mention this OEM functionality.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #7 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
When I ran the diagnostics it showed NO FAULTS so I started with the clutch switch first. It was loose and moving it closer into the leaver did the trick.

If you an switch it on and it has no faults, it's cable might be too loose.
I had that in my bike. I took left fairing off and went to drive.
During driving I was settign cruise and I took it's cable in to my hand (a littlebit acrobatic was needed). I was feeling in my hand that it was pulling cable quite a long time. So there was too much play in it. It was long way to adjust and it was cancelling adjusting process after speed was dropping some 10 km/h (about 6 mph).

So, I was adjusting cable play to be smaller and it has worked fine afterwards.

Regards
Leiboshi
post #8 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I've had problems with the cruise on my '02 twice. Once was the micro switch in the clutch lever. The second was more insidious and intermittent, but I finally traced it to a battery ground cable that wasn't tightened by the morons masquerading as techs at Victory BMW in Chandler AZ. Not that I am holding a grudge.

Motor On ,/'

post #9 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 2:32 pm

Hi Brycesdad,

When I bought my '03 LT "Silver Bullet" last year,I was sometimes experiencing the same thing with my cruise control.The problem went away after,my sticky throttle cables got replaced with new ones.If your throttle is stiffer than normal,that could be the cause.Hopefully it's just a loose switch!

Good luck,Robert.
post #10 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm Thread Starter

OK, alot to think about. first, the throttle cables are kind of tight But, the cruise didn't do this when I first got the bike. It could be the micro switch. I'll look into that possibility. I had the throttle bodies off for the breather hose replacement so I may have bumped something there. also had the cables removed for throttle body removal. it is kicking off with no throttle input from me.. could I have changed the cable adjustment? I didn't move any cable thumb screws. Thank you for all the replies.

Rick

2001 K1200LT C New to me 4-06-09
2002 Honda VTX 1800- SOLD
1983 Honda Goldwing interstate - SOLD
post #11 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesdad
OK, alot to think about. first, the throttle cables are kind of tight But, the cruise didn't do this when I first got the bike. It could be the micro switch. I'll look into that possibility. I had the throttle bodies off for the breather hose replacement so I may have bumped something there. also had the cables removed for throttle body removal. it is kicking off with no throttle input from me.. could I have changed the cable adjustment? I didn't move any cable thumb screws. Thank you for all the replies.

Rick
Yes you may have unknowingly changed the adjustment on the cables. I don't remember what the adjustments are but I am sure some one will chime in.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #12 of 27 Old May 6th, 2009, 9:43 pm

I had 2 cruise control issues:

1: speedometer cable coming off of the rear wheel is zip-tied to the rear break line. Metal end of that hose rubs the insulation of the speedometer cable, until the wire breaks or shorts. This problem/cure I found searching this site.

2: switches at clutch. Only mine didn't involve the mounting screws for these switches, but an insect part (may have been a housefly, or portion of a honey bee) interfering with the free motion of one of the switches.

Both had the same symptoms: cruise control would not always hold, even on a level road.

If I had a problem when it called for accel/decel, I would suspect a stiff throttle cable, or the actuator for the cruise control, binding. Its trying to adjust the throttle, but gave enough force for long enough, and didn't get expected results, so gave up. I had similar issue with an automobile, many years ago. It used vacuum to pull the throttle, and the vacuum line had a crack; it tried to pull throttle, didn't get desired result, and disengaged.

...Bob
2001 K1200LT der LadungsTräger
1978 GL1000
post #13 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 3:37 am

My Cruise Control seems to work fine, but nontheless I have just done the Diagnostic test mentioned above..

Everything goes as explained EXCEPT when rotating the rear wheel.

The Set light barely flickers without going out.

Should I leave it or does something need adjusting ?.
post #14 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 6:19 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
My Cruise Control seems to work fine, but nontheless I have just done the Diagnostic test mentioned above..

Everything goes as explained EXCEPT when rotating the rear wheel.

The Set light barely flickers without going out.

Should I leave it or does something need adjusting ?.
There has been a update to the test that states to ignore the rear wheel step. I don't remember the reasons off hand just that it is not used any longer.

Stevie Shreeve
post #15 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 6:47 am

I have this same problem. I'm sure it's the sticky throttle cable. Mine are really tough to operate. I'm changing them soon. I don't want to make any long trips this summer with the hard throttle. My hands are a little arthritic already. I doesn't help to also have a tough throttle...............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #16 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 8:21 am

Steve, thanks for that information ( ignore rear wheel step ).

Should I take it that the rest of the test is still valid ?.
post #17 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 8:24 am

Quote:
Steve, thanks for that information ( ignore rear wheel step ).

Should I take it that the rest of the test is still valid ?.
Yes altho when i tested mine eveything tested good but I still Had a micro Switch out of adjustment

Stevie Shreeve
post #18 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 9:56 am

May I ask which one ?.
post #19 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 10:23 am

Quote:
May I ask which one ?.
The clutch switch that he mentioned in the first reply in this thread.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #20 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 10:27 am

Mine (03) will disengage if it's cold to cool out and bike hasn't been ridden in a while. Usually, I can roll the throttle all the way to stop a couple times and it will start working properly. Running 60 +mph in 5th gear, you can do this w/o getting too fast or abrupt or anything. Give it a try. After the bike warms a bit, it does fine. Cables get to sliding easier.

might be the simplest fix yet.

Randy
post #21 of 27 Old May 11th, 2009, 10:29 am

If you find the throttle twists easier after it gets warm, then I would suggest changing out to the latest throttle cables. With latest throttle cable set on and the switches set properly, I've never had an issue with cruise working correctly.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

post #22 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 12:09 pm

I have a 02' LT and am having the same type of problems and went through the CC diagnostic test and this is what happened.

Note: The CC would engage but would cancel itself when going up hill, down hill or when trying to speed up or slow down by using the CC control.

- On number "5" when closing and opening the throttle, the "SET" light on the dash would not come.

- On number "7" when pulling the front brake, the "SET" light would not come on.

- On number "8" when pushing the rear brake down, the "SET" light would not come on.

CC Diagnostic test that was used:

1. With the ignition switch OFF, switch on the cruise control.Press and hold the SET button to the SET position and switch on the Ignition switch (LIGHT)
2. Release the SET button (LIGHT GOES OFF), move to RESET position (LIGHT)
3. Release the button (LIGHT OFF) switch OFF the cruise control switch (LIGHT)
4. Switch the cruise control switch back on (LIGHT OFF)
5. Close throttle. (LIGHT), release throttle. (LIGHT OFF)
6. Pull clutch lever (LIGHT),release clutch lever (LIGHT OFF)
7. Pull front brake lever, (LIGHT) release lever (LIGHT OFF)
8. Push foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON), hold for 5 seconds.(LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF), release foot brake pedal (LIGHT ON)
9. Rotate rear wheel (LIGHT SHOULD GO OFF/ON)
10. Switch off ignition.

I also took of the "micro-switch" cover under the clutch handle and looked to see if the switch was being engaged by the movement of the clutch handle, it seemed to be.

First question: is the "micro-switch" that is under the clutch handle supposed to be mounted with 1 or 2 screws? Mine only had one holding it in place and there was a second hole in the switch, need to know if there is supposed to be 2 screws holding it in place so it will not "spin/twist" out of adjustment.

Second question: With doing the CC diagnostics and three things not going according to the CC diagnostic procedures, what would the problem be and what can be done to fix it?

Thanks for the help

Jay
post #23 of 27 Old Apr 23rd, 2010, 9:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Once a fault is found the rest of the steps will not work. There are two switches, one that clicks with a small pull (CC) and the second with almost full pull (starter).

There is only one screw the other hole is the pivot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Four.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	27044  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #24 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 1:18 pm

Thanks john, would you know how to find what is causing the "fault" or where should I look for what is causing it?

Thanks

Jay
post #25 of 27 Old Apr 24th, 2010, 8:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Like I said the CC clutch switch (the bottom most or most visible in the pic) should make a "click" with about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of pull on the lever. Any thing less may trigger falsely. With that eliminated next is the same switch on the right side at the front brake. Same amount of movement for the "click". With that eliminated then all that is left is the one on the fuel rail. Requires left side tupperware removal and a little adjustment of the return cable until you get a distinct "click" forcing the throttle grip off past normal idle by about 5 degrees of rotation.

If it still does not work check the foot brake switch. It should move down at least a 1/4 inch or more before you hear the "click".

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #26 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 7:03 am

Thanks John, I am new to the maintenance on the bike, I will try all of those things today.

Jay
post #27 of 27 Old Apr 25th, 2010, 3:47 pm

Since you have a 2001, there is one other thing that could be your problem. If the speed sensor wire is cut by the brake line (a very common problem with pre-2002 LTs), the cruise control will kick out easily when the rear suspension moves. If you watch the speedometer, be sure the needle does not drop when the cruise drops out. If it does, that is a sure sign of a cut sensor wire. You can watch the speedo needle when riding over bumps to see if it acts erratically, the normal first sign of the wire being cut.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in