K1300S - OMG....it is insanely fast. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old May 5th, 2009, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

K1300S - OMG....it is insanely fast.

Brought my LT in for service today, and got a loaner to ride home - an '09 K1300S - talk about scaring the snot out of a guy.... 175 hp, 103 ft pounds of torque in a 500 pound bike... even at 1/2 throttle it was a rush!

But beyond the scary-fast performance, they put in a quick-shift feature where as on upshifts, you don't need to pull the clutch lever, but just click up on the gear shift. It is an almost instant shift - the fuel and timing is cut and the gears mesh within a fraction of a second - almost like a F1 race car. It didn't require you to crank on it full throttle for it to work, even a light throttle works and it is so incredibly smooth. Very impressive. I want this engine and this clutch on the new LT !!!! Awesome.

Scott

Scott

In the garage:
'12 K1600 GTL (took delivery 5/25)
'12 Ducati Monster EVO 1100
'08 Big Dog Pitbull
'79 Honda CX 500 Deluxe (restored)

Past:
'09 BMW R1200R
'09 BMW K1200 LT
'08 Victory Vision
'06 Yamaha FJR1300
'03 BMW K1200 LT
'02 Gold Wing 1800
'98 Yamaha Roadstar
'96 GoldWing 1500
'79 Honda CX500
'77 GoldWing 1000

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old May 5th, 2009, 11:19 pm
Just ridin'

Re: K1300S - OMG....it is insanely fast.

It is quite a bike. My wife just bought one with all of the options including shift assist. The K1200S is one of the sweetest bikes I have ever owned and the 1300 is improved in many not so subtle ways.

Michelle's new ride

She even lets me ride it from time to time

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #3 of 11 Old May 5th, 2009, 11:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
It is quite a bike. My wife just bought one with all of the options including shift assist. The K1200S is one of the sweetest bikes I have ever owned and the 1300 is improved in many not so subtle ways.

Michelle's new ride

She picked out a sweet color!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-

post #4 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 12:33 am

Yeah, it is a bit more powerfull than LT. I have K1200S as a second bike. It is equipped with turbo and intercooler, double fuel injection etc. So, no lack of power anymore.

Actually I have been thinking quite a lot how to install LT fairing into it. I love my LT, but I would like to have few more HP's n it. To combine these bikes would be ideal, but how to keep LT's driving position in KS frame?

Regards
Leiboshi
post #5 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 9:31 am
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallzee
She picked out a sweet color!
The photos don't do the color justice.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #6 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 11:18 am

Nice pictures of Michelle's new bike, is she going to be riding it to Jasper in June?

Oh and the next thing it looks like you need is a bigger garage to keep all those bikes in I see in the background of the picture!

Randy Ferras
K1200LT 05'

Randy Ferras
K1200LT, 05'
post #7 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 12:35 pm

It also stops rather well:

The latest Performance Bike (a UK mag) has a test on the ABS on the K1300S, ZZ-R14 and
CBR600RR, all pitted against a 675.

The shock result is that the K1300S is a demon on the brakes, tops the
charts in all the braking tests, for example in braking from 100 to 0
the K1300S only stopped 6m later in the wet compared to the dry, the
675 stopped 30m later (and 40m after the K1300S)!
+++

I had a shot of a 1200s once - managed to escape with my license (and wallet) intact. Also spoke to a police rider who had tried one and she reckoned it was one of the fastest real world bikes she had ever ridden.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #8 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy

Michelle's new ride

Beautiful bike..and wife . That shift assist sounds like it's the cats derriere.

What is the insurance like on a K1300S compared to a K1200LT?

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #9 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 1:38 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrasr

Nice pictures of Michelle's new bike, is she going to be riding it to Jasper in June?

Oh and the next thing it looks like you need is a bigger garage to keep all those bikes in I see in the background of the picture!

Randy Ferras
K1200LT 05'
Yes she is riding it to Jasper.

Both of us are counting the days.

Our limit for parking bikes inside is 5. If we get something else - something has to go.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #10 of 11 Old May 6th, 2009, 1:47 pm
Just ridin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnata
Beautiful bike..and wife . That shift assist sounds like it's the cats derriere.

What is the insurance like on a K1300S compared to a K1200LT?
Yes she is

The shift assist works at any speed or throttle and is a total hoot. You just have to trust it and not touch the throttle or clutch if you want it to work correctly.

Most companies are rating the K1300S as a sport bike at a fairly high rate. Dairyland still considers it a sport touring bike and the rate is about the same as the GT. It costs more to insure the K1300S than the K1200S, but that is due to the value difference in the two bikes. For us, Dairyland is still the best deal out there, but our policy went up quite a bit this year. Not due to any one bike, just an across the board increase at Dairyland.

Randy Prade
Aurora, CO

Just ride it!
Meet Riley

post #11 of 11 Old May 8th, 2009, 6:49 am

Thanks, Randy...will have to check out Dairyland.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in