Got the much needed service done, thanks to many of you on this forum. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old May 4th, 2009, 10:08 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up Got the much needed service done, thanks to many of you on this forum.

Last October, the wife and I rode our '00 LT from east Tennessee to Death Valley and back. The route wasn't exactly direct as we went via Lubbock, TX to Denver, CO then back through Montrose and Durango, CO and then through Monument Valley, the Grand Canyon down to Williams, AZ and out old Route 66 through Oatman, AZ, up through Laughlin, NV, over to Pahrump and on into DV. The return, after a 10 day business meeting in Vegas, was more direct down I-40 back to the Knoxville area.

All in all, the trip was better than great except that not too long after entering Arkansas on the way out, we filled up and the bike started running like garbage. Thinking it was a load of bad fuel, I kept riding and after 100 miles or so, it started running better. Then, every time I refueled, it ran like crap for the first 70 to 100 miles. Also, I noticed that it wasn't venting very well by the "whooshing" sound when I took off the gas cap. I spent an extra day in Lubbock taking the Tupperware off and running the fuel vent lines to be sure they weren't pinched or blocked. Turns out that it was a bad cannister and I didn't have the time, or patience, to fix it on the road, so we sputtered along for most of the trip.

Then, came the cruise control failing on the long slab ride home from Vegas. Oh what fun!! I did have a throttle rocker, but with the old style throttle cables it was still an unpleasant chore.

Last, but not least, the front shock finally let go after 75,000 miles (I know, that was WAAAAAAAY too long to let it go; and you're right) along with the steering damper. The last two days home the bike felt like it had a hinge in the middle of it and all the fun of riding it was gone. I had the rear shock rebuilt and resprung by GMD Computrak in Georgia prior to the trip, so it was (and is) holding up very well.

After returning home, I put the LT in the garage and let it sit until April; dirt, bugs, and all. In the meantime, I started searching this forum and collecting all kinds of useful information and got my parts together and tore Emil apart for some much needed repair. Thanks to lots of good information, I got the new throttle cables put on and even made it through the mod on the handlebar end. Next came the cannisterectomy followed by a steering damper rebuild costing only $14.09 instead of the $300.00 for a new or rebuilt unit. I couldn't find the 7.5 fork oil I was planning on using so I used some hydraulic jack oil I had and it is working better than ever. Finally, a Ohlins front shock off eBay for $350.00 finished off the much needed repairs.

Emil is all buttoned up and after a week of riding he is better than ever. The joy, nay thrill, of riding the LT is back and I just wanted to thank all those who took the time to post techniques, pictures, and just good, solid technical advice that makes do-it-yourself wrenching possible. I did stop in and ask the dealer how much it would cost to put the throttle cables and front shock on the bike and the labor charge alone was going to be $975.00. Both my BMWs (LT and RT) are awesome and this forum and its members are part of reason I love my bikes and the BMW community.

Thank you again to those who chose to make a positive difference by posting on this forum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old May 5th, 2009, 8:11 am

Re: Got the much needed service done, thanks to many of you on this forum.

Greg --- thanks very much for the positive post. Into each trip comes a leetle hiccup just to help us appreciate the good when the hiccups go away!! Made me realize how much me and ole Toad are a match, even with solving the past hiccups, and coming on strong after all is said and done.

Cheryl sez there's gonna come a time pretty soon when I'll be drooling over a replacement to ole Toad --- nope, won't be a replacement. A cousin maybe, so I'll keep ole Toad around for teachin' the young'un the good thangs in life.

Thanks again, Greg - good way to start a day. Take care; ride safe; enjoy the trip(s).
post #3 of 4 Old May 6th, 2009, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dick. It is usually a great day all day when they start out good. Thanks for the reply and don't worry, ol' Toad won't hold a grudge for long; Emil didn't.

post #4 of 4 Old May 7th, 2009, 11:36 am

I have to say that it was a great little story to start my day.
I was picturing in my mind the route you took, (having been there too), picturing myself on my LT (no name) listening to the sounds she makes as we ride, and I've done the same thing when mishaps arise: putting her away without a bath and letting her sit for a few days, maybe weeks, before I start operating.
And then I read that you got an Olhlins shock on EBay for under $400 and I was happy for you, as I have been searching for a front shock for a while now to replace my happily worn out one. Finally, I imagined the feeling of having the new shocks on and everything gone over and backing her out of the garage, smiles on our faces, ready to feel the fruits of our labor on the next right hand turn....
So thanks for the story.
I am off to Ebay now to keep looking for that Ohlins..I have a two week ride coming up on May 18 with a friend from Germany and I would love to have (no name) up to par for the trip!

2000 K1200 LT
1973 R75/5
1999 Honda Africa Twin (sold)
1999 R1100 RTP (sold)
1998 R1100 GS (totaled)
1991 R100 RT (sold)
1988 Honda NR250 (sold)
1983 Honda CB350 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in