GPS installed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old May 4th, 2009, 1:45 pm Thread Starter

GPS installed

I just installed a Magellan 6000T GPS on my LT this morning. I got this Magellan Model for a pretty good price last December as it was a discontinued model. This Magellan model has both touch screen and external button controls, which makes it pretty bulky for a car GPS ...probably the reason why it was discontinued, but which makes it actually pretty good for motorcycle operation ....although it is not water proof. I decided to install the GPS on the right side panel rather than on top of the dash board. I hard wired it so as it turns on automatically when I turn the contact on. The GPS is pretty well protected by the side screen. I rode for 30mns on the highway with some heavy rain and the GPS did not even get wet.
Next step will be to connect the audio through the LT intercom so as to get the GPS instructions through the headphone. Not sure yet if I will use the bluetooth or wire connection for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	22900   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	22901  

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old May 4th, 2009, 2:12 pm

Re: GPS installed

I bought a unit (Garmin Nuvi 360) that was not waterproof, and put it on the bike. That's not what killed it - the vibration did. The Nuvi was not rated for motocycle use because it's not waterproof, nor vibration rated.

I hope the same issue doesn't bite you!

I now have a Garmin 2730 (same as the 2820, but without Bluetooth), which is "motorcycle rated".

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
post #3 of 3 Old May 4th, 2009, 2:35 pm Thread Starter

Re: GPS installed

I have been using this GPS on my bike for several trips already on battery and not hard wired. I was using the suction stand on the gas tank. Hopefully it will not get much more vibration now that installed it on the side panel.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in