Intermittent Speedometer - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kswingman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old May 4th, 2009, 1:41 am Thread Starter

Intermittent Speedometer

All last summer the speedo on my K1200LT would work fine at the start of a ride, then jump around intermittently about 15 min to 30 min into the ride, then quit. Of course, that means no Cruise either. Feels like a bad connector. Just remove nose fairing, and checked connector at instrument panel, and connector under passenger seat. Before I remove the gas tank to check the main electrical "centre" I thought I'd ask to see if anyone else has experienced a similar issue?
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old May 4th, 2009, 2:51 am

Re: Intermittent Speedometer

What year LT?

If it is pre 2002, there is a well known, and easily fixed problem. The speed sensor wire from the speed sensor on the final drive unit is zip tied to the brake line, and at the front of the rubber section, near the swing arm pivot, the wire gets cut on the metal ferrule it is zip tied to.

Remove the small fairing piece in front of the right side case, and you can see it. Cut away the insulation, solder in a short jumper, wrap it with a split piece of rubber hose to prevent future cuts, zip tie it back, and ride.

If the bike is 2002 or later, the speed sensor is part of the ABS system, so this fix does not apply.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 42 Old May 4th, 2009, 7:14 pm

I have seen this problem many times before, the crown piece that is pressed onto the final drive gear that makes the impulse for the pick up has come loose. Remove the speedo pick up ,take a screwdriver and stick it in the hole and feel if the castle type peice moves when you turn the rear wheel. It is pressed on and they do come loose. the fix is to open the rear drive, pull the large gear out, if the peice is loose remove it, take a punch and make several punches into the shaft and then drive the piece back on.
Joe

post #4 of 42 Old May 4th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman007
I have seen this problem many times before, the crown piece that is pressed onto the final drive gear that makes the impulse for the pick up has come loose. Remove the speedo pick up ,take a screwdriver and stick it in the hole and feel if the castle type peice moves when you turn the rear wheel. It is pressed on and they do come loose. the fix is to open the rear drive, pull the large gear out, if the peice is loose remove it, take a punch and make several punches into the shaft and then drive the piece back on.
Joe
First, we do not know what year his LT is. The cut wire or the loose sensor ring is only applicable to pre 2002 LTs. If it is a pre 2002, it is far more likely that it is a cut wire, as this happens OFTEN. I cannot recall more than one, possibly two postings about a loose sensor ring on the axle shaft, exceedingly rare, and a LARGE number of postings about the sensor wire being cut on the brake line, very common.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #5 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 12:01 am

Quote:
... the crown piece that is pressed onto the final drive gear that makes the impulse for the pick up has come loose...
As dshealey says, it all depends on the vintage of bike. However, I had exactly the problem described by rocketman007 on my mid-90's K100RS. Have been blaming electrics and it took me a long time to find the mechanical failure.
Resolved it by opening the drive and epoxying the sensor gear onto the shaft. Nowadays I'd use the gear-repair Locktite.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 8:37 am

Smile Re: Intermittent Speedometer

It is of course difficult to diagnose a problem with out hands on the bike. But in my 35 years of working on BMW in a dealership, I have only had the broken wire one time. it was on my bike and occurred from not being careful when removing the rear tire and letting the caliper hang and put tension on that wire. However I have seen at least 15 different times on several different models where the sensor ring has come loose. You cannot make a snap judgement simply by the number of posts on this site, because not everyone with a problem has a computer or uses this site. Lets be fair and be real and not get an attitude. Just because its on the internet does not make it true. It is a simple test to determine what is wrong. The purpose of this site is to help each other, not to show whos the smartest.
post #7 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Quote:
It is of course difficult to diagnose a problem with out hands on the bike. But in my 35 years of working on BMW in a dealership, I have only had the broken wire one time. it was on my bike and occurred from not being careful when removing the rear tire and letting the caliper hang and put tension on that wire. However I have seen at least 15 different times on several different models where the sensor ring has come loose. You cannot make a snap judgement simply by the number of posts on this site, because not everyone with a problem has a computer or uses this site. Lets be fair and be real and not get an attitude. Just because its on the internet does not make it true. It is a simple test to determine what is wrong. The purpose of this site is to help each other, not to show whos the smartest.
Well, for the LT the cut wire is very common. Probably at LEAST 50 (probably many more) different posts on this site and it's earlier iterations by people having the problem. I was the first to have it here and post about it and it's repair. There have been very many since. The issue on the pre 2002 LT's is that the wire is zip tied tightly to the front fitting of the rear rubber brake line, right over the sharp edge of the ferrule around the rubber hose. Also, this is right at the pivot of the swing arm, so as the swing arm moves up and down over bumps the sharp edge cuts through the wire.

Granted, dealer mechanics see some things more than others, but by the same token the collective large number of owners of one particular bike on this site see FAR MORE of a particular problem than any one dealer ever will. Remember, there are thousands of LT owners on this site, no one particular dealer will likely ever see more than a couple hundred different LT's, if that.

This site is probably the largest single cross section of LT's on the planet, and we have had prpbably 50-100 cut sensor wires, and as far as I know, only 2 sensor rings come off. Neither is relevant on the 2002 and later LT's. That is far more statistical data relative to the LT (not other models) than any one dealer can ever hope to amass.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #8 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 5:57 pm

Point well taken, has the cause of the problem been found yet?
post #9 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 7:24 pm

I can confirm what Dave Shealey is talking about, having had that EXACT problem with my 99LT on a recent trip from New Jersey to Florida. The speedometer fluctuated, then began to read low (read 0.7 miles for a 1 mile distance), and finally stopped working altogether. I cleaned out the speed sensor (of course, while doing that I torqued off the bolt holding it in place!!! Things never go as planned) but rode it back to NJ without any speedometer/cruise/mileage odometer. When I got home, I disconnected all the ties holding the speed sensor wire to the frame and indeed there was a break in the wire from the sensor to the speedometer. There are two wires, one of which is the ground (brown), and one was broken. I spliced them together and now the speedometer, cruise etc work perfectly.

I appreciate the advice from Dave Shealey and also from John Zeiler (I was with him at the North Carolina spring Training Conference- he identified the cause of the problem as well). Experience can never be duplicated.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ
post #10 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 11:33 pm

I was yet another "broken wire speedo/cruise control failure" victim. Thanks to the fine folks on this site, I found and repaired it quickly. Thanks to all...

Darrell

'00 BMWK1200LT
'05 Triumph Tiger
IBA #16091
BMW-MOA #125320
post #11 of 42 Old May 15th, 2009, 1:04 pm Thread Starter

Smile Re: Intermittent Speedometer

Thank you all for the great replies! The bike in question is a 2001. I now lean toward the "broken wire" theory...when the speedo does work intermittently, applying the brakes causes it to read normal during the brake application....then revert to being flaky again when the brakes are released.
I had to leave the LT in Vancouver when I found a PC800 for my wife to ride, and brought that home in my trailer. Will go retrieve my bike in two weeks...I can hardly wait to try your suggestions!
thanks so much again!
post #12 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:28 am

I just started experiencing the same problem on my 2000 LT. I was told by the deaaler it may be related to the infamous rear failure but I was skeptical. That didn't make any sense to me. Anyway, MANY THANKS to all who provided some reasonable insight into this issue. I will be checking the wire to see if that is the problem. As a note, my LT would fine for a few miles, then the speedo needle would drop suddenly, regain its position, drop again and so forth. It hasn't, to this point, completely stopped working. I will post my findings later after I have a look.
post #13 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 9:46 am

Thumbs up Re: Intermittent Speedometer

+1 with Dshealey, we had this issue with one of the LTs in our club a few years ago.

Jim in GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 9:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl160
+1 with Dshealey, we had this issue with one of the LTs in our club a few years ago.
+2 - it was my bike.

If David says to tighten the bolts on your license plate to make your radio work properly - just go tighten the dam bolts.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #15 of 42 Old Jun 24th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl160
+2 more, BOTH my 99 and 2000 had the wire go TU. Very common.
post #16 of 42 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 11:08 am

It just happened today on my '07. Just noticed the speedometer needle is on 0 all the time, odometer not ticking miles either and the cruise will not engage.

Because it is still on warranty, I'm taking it to the dealer. IRV Seaver is closed Mondays, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Will post an update when it's fixed.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2005 LT Gold (traded in for '07)
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #17 of 42 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 12:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
It just happened today on my '07. Just noticed the speedometer needle is on 0 all the time, odometer not ticking miles either and the cruise will not engage.

Because it is still on warranty, I'm taking it to the dealer. IRV Seaver is closed Mondays, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Will post an update when it's fixed.
BJ
BJ - I'm not sure, but you may have a different cause than the one described in this thread. Seems to me sumpthin' was changed after '04 or '05 that eliminated the wire/cable failing at that ferrule location. I don't have a clear recollection of it, but I'll do some searchin' and see what I find. Stay tuned, and prolly someone else with a better memory than me will be along shortly.
post #18 of 42 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
BJ - I'm not sure, but you may have a different cause than the one described in this thread. Seems to me sumpthin' was changed after '04 or '05 that eliminated the wire/cable failing at that ferrule location. I don't have a clear recollection of it, but I'll do some searchin' and see what I find. Stay tuned, and prolly someone else with a better memory than me will be along shortly.
It changed in '02 Dick. That is when BMW dropped the speed sensor on the final drive, and now gets the speed signal from the ABS system.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #19 of 42 Old Jul 6th, 2009, 5:03 pm

Well,
It's been a week since I left it at the dealer and so far they could not fix it.
They tried a connector and a new sensor, but that did not work. They may have to take it apart and look into the harness.
Next possible update day is this Wednesday - will keep you posted.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #20 of 42 Old Jul 17th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Well, it's been almost 3 weeks since I left it at the dealer and the speedometer is still dead. They keep replacing parts whatever they may think of, including the turn signal relay, but it did not fix the problem so far.
I don't think they have any clue of what to do about it.
In this time frame, they could have replaced avery single part on the bike if they wanted to.
I think I'm going to take the bike back today and go another shop, hoping they have better trained or more experienced technicians.
This is getting plain ridiculous, fixing speedometer for 3 weeks!
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #21 of 42 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 12:15 pm

Finally as of today (over 3 weeks in the shop) the bike is fixed.
It turned out to be a faulty ABS control module.
Here is the explanation I got from the dealer:
The speed signal comes from the wheel's ABS speed sensor and gets to ABS control module. From there it should go to the speedometer module, but it did not leave the ABS module because of some internal failure.
I was told this was the first time they have seen this kind of failure.
Hope it helps someone in the future when troubleshooting this kind of problem.
BJ

BJ
2015 R Nine T
2007 LT Storm Grey
2007 G 650 Xchallenge
post #22 of 42 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjedruszczak
...It turned out to be a faulty ABS control module... I was told this was the first time they have seen this kind of failure...
Oh, yes, the infamous "first time ever seen problem". Why do they always attempt to insult our intelligence?

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #23 of 42 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 9:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwalker
Oh, yes, the infamous "first time ever seen problem". Why do they always attempt to insult our intelligence?
Well I'll have to admit this is the first time I have seen this particular failure mentioned even on this board.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #24 of 42 Old Aug 6th, 2009, 5:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus
I was yet another "broken wire speedo/cruise control failure" victim. Thanks to the fine folks on this site, I found and repaired it quickly. Thanks to all...
+1 on that. I had the same problem. A little searching on this site and a few minutes in the garage and problem solved! How much do you think the dealer would have charged for this repair?
Appreciate the help guys!

Doug

2001 Pacific Blue LT
1992 750 Nighthawk
1985 VF700S Sabre
1976 CB550F SS
1973 CB350 Four
1972 Yamaha 250
MOA #134470
post #25 of 42 Old Aug 7th, 2009, 8:38 am

My 2000 LT Hannigan Trike has all the symptoms described here regarding the intermittent speedometer. It has been to Blue Moon BMW 4 times to fix the speedometer and cruise control. They currently have the trike and have had it for 3 weeks. They have replaced the two speed sensors and the speedometer and it still has the problem. Last week the BMW rep came to the dealership and stated that he could not figure it out. They had planned on returning the trike to me not fixed because they had no further ideas.

I found this posting yesterday and printed out this entire thread, scanned it and emailed it to the service manager. The I called and told them to read every word of the thread for possible solutions.

I bought this trike on May 20, 2009 and Blue Moon in Norcross, GA has had it 35 of the 77 days I have owned it - without a resolution to the problem.

Any other thoughts on things to check? I will let you all know the outcome if it gets fixed.

Thanks.

Bob
post #26 of 42 Old Sep 3rd, 2009, 3:29 pm

thanks for the info and thanks for keeping this stuff searchable. 2000 LT and the break was right where they said it would be. Both leads were nearly broke through. Cut it and resoldered both leads then put shrinkwrap over it and alls well.

Next the slipping clutch. But that can wait for the cold months.

This list is invaluable!
post #27 of 42 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 8:48 am

My '01 LT is doing the same thing as described at the beginning of this post. Speedometer needle seems ok for most of the time but every now and then drops 5-7 MPH and quickly comes back. Each time it does this if I have the cruise on, it kicks off. I hope to get behind the RH side panel to check and see if I have the rubbed wire problem. I will take pics and post them if I do.

Troy

2001 K1200LT-I
75,000+ miles
Grip Puppies
RAM mount for iPhone
RAM mount cupholder
DODK64 Floorboards (driver & passenger)
Alaska Leathers Sheepskin covers
Avon Storm II Ultras
ScalaRider G4 Powerset
NGK Iridium IX DCPR7EIX spark plugs
Spiegler SS Brake lines (fronts only installed so far)
Creative Concepts extended rear brake pedal
post #28 of 42 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 10:15 am

My 2000 lt had that problem last summer. Due to the fine folks sharings on this web sight, I quickly found and repaired the problem...broken wires at the upper tie point.

2000 Maroon [Canyon Red] K1200LTC
2006 DL650 [Red]
post #29 of 42 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 11:35 am

To improve the "Cruise-control Troubleshooting Tutorial Video" (see this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61130 ), I would really like to get pictures or a video-clip of the damaged speed-sensor wire on a first generation K1200LT.

If possible, I think it would be better to show a picture before (to show location), another picture while the wire insulation is split open to show the damage inside, and finally a picture after the repair.

Thank you !

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #30 of 42 Old Jul 31st, 2011, 3:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor
To improve the "Cruise-control Troubleshooting Tutorial Video" (see this thread: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61130 ), I would really like to get pictures or a video-clip of the damaged speed-sensor wire on a first generation K1200LT.

If possible, I think it would be better to show a picture before (to show location), another picture while the wire insulation is split open to show the damage inside, and finally a picture after the repair.

Thank you !
See if this pic by Mark Neblett is a start. There may be others back in the archives, butt I'm just starting to look, so will be awhile if there are.

Edit: I did find some others that I *think* are pics relative to the situation; however, all I get to look at is a box with a X in it.
post #31 of 42 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 6:02 am

Dick, thank you for your help !

To save you some time, I should have mentionned in my post that I had already done a pretty detailled search a few weeks ago.

Came up with same result as you did. That single picture is a good starting point, but I was looking for more, including a open / damaged speed-sensor wire.

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #32 of 42 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 9:28 pm

Well, tonight I finally had the chance to work on my bike and see if I could fix the "bouncing speedometer needle" which was causing my cruise to kick off constantly.

Here's the link to the video I took of what my speedometer was doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XR-cT5Zw7A

The pictures below show what I found, how I fixed it and how I re-mounted it.

After cutting the zip-ties I found the cracked sleeve (black) over the brown and yellow wires for the speedometer.

After cutting away some of the sleeve you can see that the yellow wire is the one that was damaged. It was right at the bend where the wires were zip-tied to brake line at the frame mount.

I added a section of wire about 1 inch long and soldered it into the speedometer wires with heat shrink on each wire.

Then I covered the whole thing with heat shrink.

When I zip-tied the ABS and speedometer wire back in place I made sure it wasn't too tight and kept the wires away from any of the metal edges on the brake line. The yellow line in the photo is the speedometer cable.

Hope this stuff is helpful for someone else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken speedometer wire 1.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	32373   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken speedometer wire 2.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	32374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken yellow wire 1.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	32375   Click image for larger version

Name:	After repair.jpg
Views:	481
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	32376   Click image for larger version

Name:	After heat shrink.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	32377  

Name:	Wire re-mounted after fix.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	32378  

Troy

2001 K1200LT-I
75,000+ miles
Grip Puppies
RAM mount for iPhone
RAM mount cupholder
DODK64 Floorboards (driver & passenger)
Alaska Leathers Sheepskin covers
Avon Storm II Ultras
ScalaRider G4 Powerset
NGK Iridium IX DCPR7EIX spark plugs
Spiegler SS Brake lines (fronts only installed so far)
Creative Concepts extended rear brake pedal

Last edited by midwestrider; Aug 3rd, 2011 at 9:33 pm.
post #33 of 42 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestrider
After cutting the zip-ties I found the cracked sleeve (black) over the brown and yellow wires for the speedometer.
After cutting away some of the sleeve you can see that the yellow wire is the one that was damaged. It was right at the bend where the wires were zip-tied to brake line at the frame mount.
I added a section of wire about 1 inch long and soldered it into the speedometer wires with heat shrink on each wire.

Then I covered the whole thing with heat shrink.
The same thing happened on my '99 last fall, and the solution you posted was almost exactly the same repair I made. I did find that where the cable crossed from right side to left side, under the seat, that there was a few inches of extra cable(looped) that could be accessed by undoing a couple of zip ties and I was fortunate enough to not have to add any wire to the repair. Regardless, it has worked flawlessly ever since, (7,000 km and counting)
Problem solved.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #34 of 42 Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 10:16 pm

Hi Guys,

I have had the same speedo issues with the speed bumping around now and then. My LT is a 2000 with almost 60,000 miles. I've been meaning to check it and reading through the posts today I decided to crawl under and take a look. Mine too was worn through and the brown wire was worn almost all the way through with just a thread left. I didn't remove any, just trimmed the casing back a bit and used a marine solderless fitting with the heat shrink ends to seal it up. I used liquid tape to further seal then wire wrap to finish it off. All told it took about an hour. You have to remove the right side passenger footrest, open the right bag and take off the right side tupperware under the seat. I had to take off the right side tip over guard, chrome cover and loosen the right side tupperware next to the fuel tank. There are 4 #20 torx screws holding the right side cover to expose the connection and give yourself some room to work.

The longest time was putting it all together and remembering which length torx screws go where.

Very easy fix and allows you to get close to your bike and spend some quality time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1042.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	774.5 KB
ID:	32379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.JPG
Views:	316
Size:	570.2 KB
ID:	32380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1052.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	32381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1066.JPG
Views:	521
Size:	677.3 KB
ID:	32382   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	681.4 KB
ID:	32383  

Name:	IMG_1070.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	720.0 KB
ID:	32384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG
Views:	440
Size:	660.1 KB
ID:	32385  

John Jones
2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
post #35 of 42 Old Oct 28th, 2013, 11:23 pm

Unhappy Re: Intermittent Speedometer

Quote:
Joe
I am pretty sure this is my problem as well. I tested the Speedo with a audio tone generator and it is functioning properly. I put a used sensor in and still have the same issue ... The odds of two bad sensors is not probable but is a possibility. I pulled the sensor and looked in with a mirror and flashlight and I am able to stop the sending ring with an allen wrench.

Any tips on the best way to rebuild this (without buying a Crown Gear set?)
post #36 of 42 Old Oct 29th, 2013, 12:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You can open the drive up on the bike and pull the cover/crown wheel assy. This will give you access to the reluctor ring and you can then fix it in place with some green loctite. Then put it all back together. Drain the oil first of course. Look in here for the handout on rear drive field repair as it will show you how to remove it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #37 of 42 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 12:42 am

Hi,

So my bike is a 1999 KLT.

I started having the problem with the speedometer when the bike got caught in a grove/opening in the road, started vibrating and I took a slide across the asphalt on the left side of the bike, sparks were coming out from under the bike from the friction.

The 2 red lights in the dash were flashing for a long time, a bike shop was nice enough to reset them for me for free.

The speedo/MPG computer and cruise first worked intermittently then stopped completely.

By the back wheel I see 2 sensors/wires. One on top of the drive shaft. The other is below the brake caliber.

I've unscrewed both and cleaned them, I also don't see any wire breakage.

which sensor am I looking for please?

And what is involved in tracing the wire? Do I have to remove ALL the Tupperware?

Photos would be helpful.

Thank you.
post #38 of 42 Old Mar 25th, 2014, 6:46 am

The pictures in post #32 and post #34 document the repair, and text in both explain what the problem stems from. A read thru this thread, beginning with post #1, should help a lot also. The task takes a little detail work with a soldering iron and some shrink wrap and tape to finish up, butt a very doable fix. There is also a good write up in the HOW forum, by David Shealey, who first reported the problem and the fix. A keyword search there should bring up the article. Good luck - plan on an hour or so for the fix, if you have the tools and a little patience.
post #39 of 42 Old Aug 6th, 2017, 11:50 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
You can open the drive up on the bike and pull the cover/crown wheel assy. This will give you access to the reluctor ring and you can then fix it in place with some green loctite. Then put it all back together. Drain the oil first of course. Look in here for the handout on rear drive field repair as it will show you how to remove it.
My 2000 K1200LT has been having the bouncy speedometer for probably a couple years now. I finally decided to take off the tupperware, find, and fix the issue. Well, I ended following and pulling out the entire cable, all the way to the connector under the seat. I don't see any corrosion or breakage in the cable at all.

I tried my best to take a picture down the hole. It does feel a bit like something might be loose in there. I'm not sure if anyone can tell just by looking if my issue is this "reluctor ring".

Also, this issue popped up shortly after I replaced the bearing in the final drive. So, I suppose it is possible I inadvertently shoved it down in while reattaching it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20676696_1965359967075330_2012680984_o.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	129834  
post #40 of 42 Old Aug 6th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Garage

So, my issue was this crown shaped ring just below the bearing. It was completely dislodged from the spindle and flopping around inside. It seems the sensor uses these teeth to get its reading. As suggested, I cleaned it off with brake cleaner, put some blue (medium strength) Loctite under it, and managed to hammer and chisel it back onto its seat. I slapped everything back together and now it works just fine.

You can see the "crown ring" in the attached picture just below the bearing. It is off of its seat, so it isn't straight. In the previous picture, down the hole, you can see a bit of the "teeth" on the ring. If you shove a thin screw driver down the hole and get it between the teeth it should prevent you from turning the wheel. If it doesn't, then your's may be dislodged like mine. If you flick the screw driver back and forth you might be able to feel and hear it giggle back and forth.

My only sadness in this process is that I will now come to know how fast I've been going these past few years and I may harbor a bit of guilt over it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_1.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	129898  
post #41 of 42 Old Aug 6th, 2017, 6:21 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Great job on the repair. Be aware that BMWs are notorious for speedos reading high. Cross check with a gps (on your cell phone even) and if it is off too much there is a fix but it involves removing the dash and putting a jumper on the circuit board.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #42 of 42 Old Sep 7th, 2017, 6:08 am

THANK YOU FOR THESE POSTS AND GREAT PICS TO SHOW WHERE THE PROBLEM IS!!! I picked up a 2000 K1200LT with under 40k miles for $2000 since the speedometer and cruise control did not work.... found the severed cable and fixed it and now speedometer and cruise are fine....and saved a ton of money!!!!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in