Fall over experience - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:03 am Thread Starter

Fall over experience

Greetings,

For those of you have experience falling over, is there any advice you can provide? I fell over once, while stoped. I just stepped off and let the bike go. I wasnt hurt. Anther LT rider told me that he fell over at a stop light, and pinned his foot under the bike. He was hurt and burnt by the asphalt.

1. What is the best preparation advise for the "Likely" low speed or stopped fall over?

2. Same question, except with a pillion??

I know this sounds crazy, but have you ever practiced a fall over in a controlled environment, discussed it with the pillion, developed code words, etc?

If you have fallen over, while two up, can you elaborate?

Next weekend, we are starting our longest trip to date. Middle Georgia to Washington DC, via the Blue Ridge Parkway, and back to Georgia on the Outer Costal Highways, and Outer Banks.

Just trying to prepare for everything.

thanks
Dale

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:27 pm

Re: Fall over experience

If going low speed enough, why not put your feet down and "crawl" through the turn? They don't laugh as long at you.

Ask your passenger to dismount the bike if turn is dangerous. They don't laugh as long and no one gets hurt.

If pillion happens to be aboard, tell her to watch to the "inside" direction of the turn, just over your inside shoulder... and should the bike start going down, just lift the "inside" foot/leg, pointing toe away from the bike... that way as it goes over, she will be able to "step" off.
post #3 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 1:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Smile Re: Fall over experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Greetings,

For those of you have experience falling over, is there any advice you can provide? I fell over once, while stoped. I just stepped off and let the bike go. I wasnt hurt. Anther LT rider told me that he fell over at a stop light, and pinned his foot under the bike. He was hurt and burnt by the asphalt.

1. What is the best preparation advise for the "Likely" low speed or stopped fall over?

I know this sounds crazy, but have you ever practiced a fall over in a controlled environment, discussed it with the pillion, developed code words, etc?

Next weekend, we are starting our longest trip to date. Middle Georgia to Washington DC, via the Blue Ridge Parkway, and back to Georgia on the Outer Costal Highways, and Outer Banks.

thanks
Dale

Well, I don't have experience falling over so maybe I shouldn't comment, but I will.

My first bit of advice is to practice, practice and practice so that you don't fall over in the first place! I still believe that is the best solution and I don't consider a fall-over to be inevitable as do many.

Second, if you do start to go over, don't make a Herculean effort to save the bike. Get your feet out of the way and hop off as gracefully as you can as she goes over. Most bike parts can still be replaced for less than the medical costs of a broken ankle.

Brief your passenger the same way. Let them know that if the bike starts going over to stay with it until they can step off with no danger of getting caught under the bike. Often it is better tostay with the bike longer rather than try to jump too soon.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 6:12 pm
Super Moderator

5 Drops in 6 years

1. 2 getting on a trailer - one high in the air and one low (don't trailer anymore)
2. 1 drop all by myself - in an angled parking lot just off Blue Ridge Park Way
3. 2 drops with my wife on back - one in Boston and one at CCR in Braselton

All the drops were at 0 miles per hour.

With my wife on back when I dropped the monster she just calmly stepped off the bike as it laid down slowly - it was a nonevent.
She had arm rests down and she just folded them up with her elbow with no issues. Then of course proceeded to direct traffic!!

On all the drops try to step off and let the bike hit the tarmac - do not try to save it.
I was not so lucky on the low trailer drop my foot got trapped since I was 1/2 on the trailer and the over designed foot peg by BMW gave up its life and saved my foot.

As I recall while the bike was going down I just said "get off" - we did not rehearse just a natural reaction.
We have an intercom and thus this helped in the communication.

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 7:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In addition to all that has been said, I might also suggest you order a copy of the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD by Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. It is very well done and loaded with tips and drills on how to control your bike as slow speeds. Like many things, your confidence will increase as you practice and learn the new skills. No more worrying about or preparing for dropping the bike. Good luck!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #6 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 8:27 pm

Thumbs up Re: Fall over experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Greetings,

thanks
Dale

Funny you should ask.

When I yell "she going over!" we both bail out and do the football shoulder tuck roll. Get up and start again. We just look at each other and laugh. Only done it twice in 60,000 miles though.

This is a tough bike in a gentle drop. A few battle scars, but no damage that requires fixing to get back on and go again!

PRIDE is the big issue, I feel!

Enjoy the bike!

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #7 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

thank you very much.

i like all of the info so far. it has more value "for the wife" when coming from someone who has experience it. "PS. she has figured out how to come here and read my posts, crap"

if we decide to practice a fall over in a controlled environment, ill try to video tape it. sounds crazy, but i want to experience it at home, not a 1000 miles away, with the help of some buddies to get it off us if it goes bad. i purchased a piece of 2 inch foam board today.

my son in law is a front seater on the Strike Eagle. He never intends to punch out, but they practice the routine repeatedly. it used to seemed stupid to practice for the worst, but the older i get, the more it makes sense.
post #8 of 10 Old May 3rd, 2009, 9:29 pm

I don't think that I would practice falling off. I would practice staying on! No sense getting hurt unnecessarily.

I've dropped the bike a few times when stopped because I did not pay attention to what I was doing. After a while it becomes second nature, but only with practice.

I do remind my self a lot to pay attention, especially at slow to stop speeds and look for obstacle when stopping like sand, oil, radiator fluid, twigs in the driveway, soft dirt and little bumps etc. Try not turning the wheel when stopping and don't expect at a stop for the forks to absorb your momentum.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 10 Old May 4th, 2009, 8:11 am

I dropped the bike once with my wife on it. I only had the bike about a month. We stopped early one Sunday morning in an empty parking lot to look at a map. Everything seemed fine, but there was a dip in the parking lot between the two wheels and I didn't realize it. It wasn't a big dip, but it was enough that when I put my left foot down there was no ground where I expected it. I'll never forget that feeling of helplessness and the instant anticipation of damaging my brand new bike (no damage, save a slightly scuffed wing). The wife did not exit gracefully, but only hurt her pride.

It got me to learn more and practice more. I found good info on line about making sharp u-turns on the beast and slow speed maneuvers. I took an MSF 2-up experienced riders course with my wife on the back through the drills. I read David Houghs book.

One tip I could give you is that as I come up to a stop 2-up I slow from a little farther away, mostly using the back brake close to the stop since mine are linked, while revving the engine only slightly - no more than 2000 rpm. This makes the engine act like a gyroscope and helps keep the bike straight up even if the wife turns her body or leans a little bit. After a while you'll know how much rev you need. This is the same technique used in the sharp u-turns. It takes practice and concentration, especially if you're trying to use your front brake handle too. But it's amazing how you can come to almost a complete stop with your feet up and no wobbling. Right foot on the break, left foot down, wife impressed. If you're a big man it's probably easy enough to hold the bike up at the stop. If you're not, a little rev will help you out.

Good luck,

rdog

Regards,

Rdog
'07 K12LT
post #10 of 10 Old May 4th, 2009, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerbiker
In addition to all that has been said, I might also suggest you order a copy of the "Ride Like a Pro" DVD by Jerry "Motorman" Palladino. It is very well done and loaded with tips and drills on how to control your bike as slow speeds. Like many things, your confidence will increase as you practice and learn the new skills. No more worrying about or preparing for dropping the bike. Good luck!
We were at a motorcycle show where he was performing. We had gotten there early and parked in the motorcycle only area. Well during the day we got real blocked in and the only way towards the exit was through his demo area. After the show he and his sound guy opened the fence for us. I had to execute a sharp slow turn to get out and as I did I could here The Motorman "See how easy that is? He just did it on a big touring bike WITH a passenger!" But I had learned it from being a "motorman" myself.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in