I finally found the guts to do it! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2009, 2:56 am Thread Starter

I finally found the guts to do it!

First let me say thanks to all those experienced LT riders who have posted helpful hints for us new LT owners.

A couple weeks ago I bought an '01 LTC with 7800 miles and sporting a Hannigan Astro sidecar. Before I made the purchase I spent a lot of hours on this forum reading post after post about the goods and the bads of the LT. I wanted one in the worst ways as it has to be one of the coolest looking tourers ever made. But all of the negative posts about final drive failures, maintenance costs, repair costs for failed ABS units, etc had just about discouraged me from taking the plunge. But to buy a GWing after falling in love with the idea of owning an LT? Seemed kind of like a pretty severe compromise to me. One of the members responded to my hand wringing post with the reminder that although highly publicised on this forum the failures are actually reasonably rare. A 1 in 25 chance of experiencing final drive failure is acceptable to me. Thanks for the sanity check.

So, I put 925 miles on it in the first weekend I owned it riding 2 up with the sidecar on. Much easier to pilot on the Interstate than around town with the sidecar attached.

Today I finally found enough intestinal fortitude to take off the sidecar (it really does only take 10 minutes to do this) and try a ride without the training wheel! My goodness gracious! What a ride! I have owned a lot of bikes in my lifetime (never a sport bike) but this thing corners like it's on rails! Access to the freeway begins with a 25 mph constant radius 180 deg right turn. This was my first curve so I started at 25 mph and gently rolled the throttle on as I went through the curve. When I looked at the speedo as I was rolling out of the curve I was at freeway speed of 60 mph. It was as easy and as comfortable as if I was going 25 - 30 mph. The rest of the ride was the same way. This bike is so solid that it instills a certain confidence that makes riding a pleasure.

Around town? I'm 5' 8" with a 28" inseam. With the seat in the low position I am close enough to flat footed at rest that I'm reasonably comfortable with the fit. What really made the difference for me around town was the advice of the forum members regarding proper technique for keeping the caged beast upright when at rest. Without this advice I am sure she'd have wallowed her way to the ground shattering my confidence in my ability to handle her about town.

I work night shift and this is a night off for me so maybe I'll sign off and go for a ride!

Thanks to all once again for the advice and instruction.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2009, 3:46 am

Re: I finally found the guts to do it!

Welcome to the asylum Loren!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2009, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the purchase, Loren. Every time I begin to think about a different bike, I fire up the LT and within a mile of riding, it's all love again! I've owned many bikes over the years, but the LT is special. What a bike. Enjoy.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:04 am

Yup! You discovered what makes the LT such a great bike. Even with all it's challenges, it is SUCH a great riding bike. It really does put a smile on your face that's very hard to wipe off!

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:29 am

Yes, WELCOME and how about a picture of the bike with the sidecar attached. I've had an interest in adding a sidecar and look forward to seeing yours with a review of how it handles.

The big difference between this bike and all of the others I've owned is that this one is ridden. Others I was content to wash and look, this one I ride. Dirtiest bike I've owned.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 15 Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
First let me say thanks to all those experienced LT riders who have posted helpful hints for us new LT owners.

Today I finally found enough intestinal fortitude to take off the sidecar (it really does only take 10 minutes to do this) and try a ride without the training wheel! My goodness gracious! What a ride! I have owned a lot of bikes in my lifetime (never a sport bike) but this thing corners like it's on rails! Access to the freeway begins with a 25 mph constant radius 180 deg right turn. This was my first curve so I started at 25 mph and gently rolled the throttle on as I went through the curve. When I looked at the speedo as I was rolling out of the curve I was at freeway speed of 60 mph. It was as easy and as comfortable as if I was going 25 - 30 mph. The rest of the ride was the same way. This bike is so solid that it instills a certain confidence that makes riding a pleasure.

{snip}

Loren
You just had to drink the Kool-Aid didn't you?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #7 of 15 Old May 3rd, 2009, 7:52 am

Garage

Congrats Loren for the good purchase... it's just the start, you'll enjoy it every day more

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #8 of 15 Old May 3rd, 2009, 7:58 am

It truly is a nice bike, and the folks in the neighborhood are pretty nice too. Welcome to the ride!

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #9 of 15 Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:56 am

It's sort of like a fungus....................they grow on ya'.................
post #10 of 15 Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:57 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all for the welcome. As I write this I am nearly 250 miles from home enjoying a quick lunch. Miss Aubergine is cooling down in the parking lot getting ready for the return ride. I can hardly wait!

As for pictures I will get a few up on photobucket this week.

A review on riding with the Hannigan sidecar? This week.

The Kool Aid? I did indeed partake of the mauve Kool Aid! I love mauve Kool Aid!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #11 of 15 Old May 4th, 2009, 8:57 am

Loren

Betcha leave that sidecar off more than it's on! Certainly it will be great for the long trips, but two-up for weekending is the nuts!

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #12 of 15 Old May 4th, 2009, 9:10 am Thread Starter

I think you're right V-RodPete! Except that my wife is scare to death of "tipping"(cornering). The bike will probably have 75,000 miles on it before she will ride without the sidecar.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #13 of 15 Old May 4th, 2009, 9:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt

The Kool Aid? I did indeed partake of the mauve Kool Aid! I love mauve Kool Aid!

Loren
I drank the green kool-aid and man, was it sweet! Congrats.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 15 Old May 4th, 2009, 11:00 am Thread Starter

I think you're right V-RodPete! Except that my wife is scared to death of "tipping"(cornering). The bike will probably have 75,000 miles on it before she will ride without the sidecar. But you know what? If that's what it takes for her to ride along then I love my sidecar!

BTW: finding a place in the garage to park the sidecar is tough. The thing is huge!.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

post #15 of 15 Old May 4th, 2009, 11:12 am

I too have a Hannigan Astro GT attached and loving it. Once I got used to it, riding in town , heavy traffic, stop and go...none of it is a problem and the rig is a lot more visible to other drivers. Do you have the Steerlight--easy steer option? Hannigan told me that it is not advised to ride the bike without the sidecar--hence the position of the front fork has been changed and solo ride could be dangerous. It supposed to make steering 60% easier.
Enjoy your rig
Les

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in