Buying one this weekend - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old May 1st, 2009, 11:13 pm Thread Starter

Buying one this weekend

I have looked at several bikes and found this low mileage 2002 LT for $9k, it only has 12.5k miles, serviced within the last 6 months and new tires. I got him down to $8,500. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old May 1st, 2009, 11:15 pm Thread Starter

Re: Buying one this weekend

BTW, does anyone know what the name of this color is?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02 K1200LT 01.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	22869  
post #3 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:14 am

Does it come with any extras, "farkles?" Does it have the GPS and tank bags included? If it is just the custom; to add the tank bags is a couple hundred dollars and the GPS is about 500 for a new one.

Here is an LTE on the classifieds for $9500 with a few extras.
http://www.bmwlt.com/classifieds/sho...ct/1357/cat/14

If the bike has the GPS it may be a little dated. I have an 03 with the GPS, I did not know to check for the adapter to update the maps. You can buy the City Navigator III non NT to update the old GPS but you need the adapter cord.

The bag liners are nice but not necessary.

If the bike you are looking at is the LTC it is priced resonable, if it is the LTE then it is a good price.

Just my .02

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200

post #4 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 1:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadent50
I believe the color is called Anthracite.

Tim Barstow

2004 GSA Silver
2007 X Challenge
post #5 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 3:48 am

This is mauve, just like Ken's 99 only much cleaner!
Given that it is a buyer's market I am sure you can negotiate the price down further.
Be sure to check hat the ABS systems works. The ABS red light should be flashing when you turn on the engine, and it will continue flashing until the wheels get in motion.
If you don't see any ABS light at all I would suspect the ABS unit is shot and the seller just disconnected the warning light.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 5:59 am

Seems like a decent deal. I was watching one real similar to that on ebay. Maybe the same one. I decided on an 05 I picked up for $11.5k. No farkles except a corbin heated seat. Did have intercom and alarm which the seller didn't know about.
post #7 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 6:40 pm

Sound good. Check the radio and make sure ALL the speakers work, and check the rear latch cover to make sure it is not cracked/ broken. Take to a BMW dealership and have them inspect it.
post #8 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 7:36 pm

Buy It !

That is a great price. Considering the few remaining new LT'S you will save 12 grand.

My 02 LT has 160K on the ODO with a long life expectancy in the future.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #9 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information and advice. I am also looking a 1999 with 11k, asking $8k, haven't spoken to the owner yet.

Any pros and cons about the year differences?
post #10 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 8:21 pm

I'd consider the 2002 more seriously; only (like, only is a little) $1,000 more but 3 years younger and integrated brakes. No boost in HP/TQ till you look at the 2005 and newer, which also has the hyd. center stand.

I paid $8700 2 years ago for my '99; independent ABS, which I do prefer, and had 18k on it. Now has 46k and have had zero problems.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #11 of 42 Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:36 pm

I bought my 2002 LT-C 3 years ago for $8800. Try for a lower price. I saw a 2003 locally for $7200 a couple months ago. $9k seems a bit much for a 2002 in comparison.
Ons thing I have noticed is "most" of the stereo problems on here (one channel going dead) have on the late 2002's and up. It seems to be the ones with the CD head unit that have more of a problem. I have a cassette deck and other than a wire chaffed through and caused the left rear speaker to be intermittant, it has worked fine.
post #12 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 12:53 am Thread Starter

I'm an owner! Thanks for all the advice. It's Mauve, name turned me off at first, but after I saw it and the excellent condition it is in, I bought it. Paid $8,500, not bad, especially that it has only 12k miles. Needs a front tire and a service, other than that it is nearly perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200 1.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	223.7 KB
ID:	22910   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200 3.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	294.0 KB
ID:	22911  
post #13 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 1:47 am

You got a great deal, appears to be an LTe
Check to see if recalls have been addressed?.
Ride it like you stole it, it really likes it when you keep the rpm's 4-6K in the curves.

Things to add:
1. HID low beam (so you can see in the dark)
2. Motolights (so you can be seen durring the day)
3. Headlight protector (expensive to replace, cheap to protect)
4. Convert front and rear turn signals to dual element bulbs so they are on full time.
5. Canisterectomy
6. Cut the brown wire
7. Tether the mirrors (can not buy complete replacements any longer).

This is the must do list, lots of other things you may chose to do.
All this can be found on this site by searching "Technical".

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #14 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 8:55 am

Congratulations on your new ride. It sure looks nice and eager to take you on years of new adventures. Keep the maintenance up and she'll keep you smiling for a few hundred thousand miles.

As for what you "must" do? The best advice I've ever heard was to tell the new owner to ride the whiz out of it then decide for yourself what you'd like to improve on. I know in my case the seat is TERRIBLE, while the rest of the bike is perfect. Even after one seat rebuild (from a company that "specializes" in long distance comfort seats) the front seat is so uncomfortable that it would be banned by the Geneva convention if POWs were forced to ride on it. So fix what needs fixing and enjoy the rest.

One thing I do agree on is the lighting issues. The stock lighting on the LT could use some sprucing up. Also either Motolights or PIAA (my personal favorite) are a great investment to your safety by increasing your visibility to other motorists. Also, you'll notice that when you see a set of Moto's or PIAAs coming your way they're nearly always on a BMW.

Hopefully the rain will stop for a few days and you can go enjoy your new bike. You're gonna love it!
post #15 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 10:33 am
Lifetime Supporter

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the forum. As you'll find, there are experts here that can pretty much help you through any mechanical/technical challenge you may have. Enjoy and yeh, ride it like you stole it!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun in the woods)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #16 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 12:25 pm

Congratulations on the new ride. I also bought a low mileage '02 last year and I've been smiling ever since.

Now on to Doug's must do list. Doug, what are you doing??? You just don't tell someone to snip the brown wire. How's he ever going to appreciate the increased power in the turns on the hot days and the better 'coastablility' of the bike between gears if he's already snipped the wire and doesn't know the difference. Let him ride the bike for a few thousand miles and get to know it's characteristics. Then when he's not so giddy and starts to think he knows everything about his new love...that's when he should snip the brown wire. Of course, the brown wire may already have been cut by the previous owner since it has 12k on the odometer.

I cut my brown wire a few days ago after having ridden it for 7000 miles. I would notice the hesitation on occassion but it didn't bother me. Just for the fun of experimenting, I cut it and went for a ride. The difference was immediately recognized when I shifted from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd. The bike coasted better between gears and there was no slow-down as I applied the gas in the next higher gear. I had just bought a whole new and better bike for free. The brown wire will never be connected again on my bike. Smiles keep getting bigger.

My advise to you. Don't park under the big 'M' at the McDonald's, or the Ferry docks or under the big lights in the parking lot at the Walmart or any other place that has a lot of overhead gull and pigeon traffic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #17 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 12:48 pm

Quote:
Mauve.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

post #18 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 12:49 pm

I think thats a great deal on an LTE especially..

how do folks only put 12k on an 02?? thats a new bike pretty much.

My 02 didn't start running super smooth until it had 40k miles on it, finally started breaking in

Sure does make my bike look cheep though, with 126k on it, yikes! sounds like I'd have to give it away, at least, thats what my buddy is hoping for
post #19 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbikin
I think thats a great deal on an LTE especially..

how do folks only put 12k on an 02?? thats a new bike pretty much.

Hey George, with the 7000 miles I've ridden since I bought mine in October of '08, my odometer is now reading 8555. After riding throughout the winter and spring, it makes me wonder as well...."How can anyone let one of these bikes just sit around?"

I look for any excuse to get on mine. The family is starting to get annoyed, oh well. Why take the van when you can make 10 trips on the bike for the same amount of mulch? I installed cup holders just so that I wouldn't get hit with the "We can't take the bike because the meal comes with a drink and there is nowhere to put it!" excuse.

I paid $11,000 for mine. I suggest that you part out your LT when the time comes. As for me, I'll ride mine until I can't pick it up off the parking lot anymore.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
post #20 of 42 Old May 5th, 2009, 6:31 pm

Quote:

Official answer is Mauve. I just totaled my 2002 a few weeks back.

I called it Electric Plum or Heavy Metal Mauve, just becuase...

I'm just saying...

Glenn
Virginia Beach VA and Washington DC

2006 K1200LT "Phoenix Helena": Dark Graphite (#946)
2005 K1200LT "Dolly": Dark Graphite (#946) - Totaled July 2011
2002 K1200LT "Helga"-totaled Apr 2009
Iron Butt Membership # 45813

<By Motorcycle>

<By Car or Ship>
post #21 of 42 Old May 6th, 2009, 12:14 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I got to put about 200 miles on it since I bought it on Sunday. The guy who had it before me, the second owner, bought it from a dealer. He did very little to it, and owns an airplane so he didn’t get to ride it much. It has an intercom and some fork mounted driving lights, haven’t tried either yet. In addition to this bike I have an ‘07 Harley Ultra. The Ultra is a “cool” bike and I enjoy riding it, short rides that is, but I got this bike for the longer and some short rides too. What a difference between these bikes!! The BMW is such a joy to ride, so smooth and comfortable. Before the Ultra I had a ’04 RT1150 that I bought new and sold it a few years later. I had always missed the RT, but I wanted a “cooler” looking and sounding bike. But now I am happy and lucky to have both.

As far as the intercom, I really don’t want to have two separate headsets, so is there a way to get an adapter so I can use them on both?

What is involved and how expensive is it to replace or update the headlight?

Motolights, I think it has this on the fork tubes.

Where can I get a headlight protector?

How difficult is it to convert the turn signals?

What is; “Canisterectomy”?

What is this “brown wire” you mentioned? I don’t think the previous owner disconnected and modified anything, but I will.

The tethered mirrors I heard about from one owners of the bikes I looked at. That will get done sooner than later.

Any other tips or advice is really appreciated.
post #22 of 42 Old May 6th, 2009, 12:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennM86
Official answer is Mauve. I just totaled my 2002 a few weeks back.

I called it Electric Plum or Heavy Metal Mauve, just becuase...

I'm just saying...
I agree, currently I prefer Purple with some Gray in it. Although "Electric Plum" sounds good.
post #23 of 42 Old May 6th, 2009, 8:06 pm

Quote:
What is this “brown wire” you mentioned? I don’t think the previous owner disconnected and modified anything, but I will.

The brown wire is the 5 second fix for a slight hesitation that you may notice when coming out of a corner on a hot day. It also cured my issue with accelerating when switching gears...it always seemed like the bike would slow down and then speed up as I was re-engaging the clutch after a shift. My bike seems to coast much better now, without so much engine braking.

I never really thought it was a problem. I thought that I needed to practice working the clutch and throttle to get smoother operation, but that little brown wire sure made a difference. The wire lets the Motronic computer chose a second fuel map. More information can be found by searching for 'hesitation' or 'brown wire'. The wire is easy to find under the driver's seat near the battery.

Chad Albrecht
post #24 of 42 Old May 6th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Wink Re: Buying one this weekend

You do have Moto Lights already on the Bike, and they are great for helping those cage drivers to see you as much as providing additional lighting for your driving at night.

For the Canisterectomy see this thread, with a word doc attached by David Taylor:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1
It is from the Hall Of Wisdom (HOW). It is definitely worth the little time that it takes!

Welcome to our fold and enjoy the ride!

HTH,

John
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice and encouragement. I got to put about 200 miles on it since I bought it on Sunday. The guy who had it before me, the second owner, bought it from a dealer. He did very little to it, and owns an airplane so he didn’t get to ride it much. It has an intercom and some fork mounted driving lights, haven’t tried either yet. In addition to this bike I have an ‘07 Harley Ultra. The Ultra is a “cool” bike and I enjoy riding it, short rides that is, but I got this bike for the longer and some short rides too. What a difference between these bikes!! The BMW is such a joy to ride, so smooth and comfortable. Before the Ultra I had a ’04 RT1150 that I bought new and sold it a few years later. I had always missed the RT, but I wanted a “cooler” looking and sounding bike. But now I am happy and lucky to have both.

As far as the intercom, I really don’t want to have two separate headsets, so is there a way to get an adapter so I can use them on both?

What is involved and how expensive is it to replace or update the headlight?

Motolights, I think it has this on the fork tubes.

Where can I get a headlight protector?

How difficult is it to convert the turn signals?

What is; “Canisterectomy”?

The tethered mirrors I heard about from one owners of the bikes I looked at. That will get done sooner than later.

Any other tips or advice is really appreciated.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #25 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
You do have Moto Lights already on the Bike, and they are great for helping those cage drivers to see you as much as providing additional lighting for your driving at night.

For the Canisterectomy see this thread, with a word doc attached by David Taylor:
http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...&sb=5&o=0&vc=1
It is from the Hall Of Wisdom (HOW). It is definitely worth the little time that it takes!

Welcome to our fold and enjoy the ride!

HTH,

John
Thanks John! So what is the benefit to the "Canisterectomy"?
post #26 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 11:24 am
Lifetime Supporter

Mauve-O-Less color you have there. Enjoy the new ride.

post #27 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 2:15 pm

Wink Re: Buying one this weekend

It will prevent you having major problems such as a tank collapsing in on itself if the canister ever gets full of fuel. And that has happened to many in the past when they accidently overfilled the tanks and the overflow runs into that cannister! After the canisterectomy you simply have the drain going overboard instead of into the canister!

Besides causing the tank to collapse, which may or may not happen, the clogged vent line creating the vacuum in the tank will cause the engine to run horrible, and die a lot.

It really is a simple thing to do in order to prevent one possible problem on the road in my opinion.

John
Quote:
Thanks John! So what is the benefit to the "Canisterectomy"?

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #28 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 2:26 pm

I had the 2002 K1200LTE, color is mauve.

Did you get the E model? Has the navigation and communication system.
post #29 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 4:00 pm

02 model year has the highest rear drive failure rate. I would stay away from 02.

Quote:
I have looked at several bikes and found this low mileage 2002 LT for $9k, it only has 12.5k miles, serviced within the last 6 months and new tires. I got him down to $8,500. What do you guys think?

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #30 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 4:09 pm

if it runs as good as it looks you got a good deal!!!!!
post #31 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 5:54 pm

Lightbulb Re: Buying one this weekend

Quote:
I'm an owner! Thanks for all the advice. It's Mauve, name turned me off at first, but after I saw it and the excellent condition it is in, I bought it. Paid $8,500, not bad, especially that it has only 12k miles. Needs a front tire and a service, other than that it is nearly perfect.
Let's talk about having a tech session. Where in L.A. are you located?
A 12K service can cost you a bundle. Besides you have to watch out when it comes to dealers in SOCAL. I have had my issues with BMW (Honday really) of Hollywood and I paid dearly for patronizing their business.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #32 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 10:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_gg
Let's talk about having a tech session. Where in L.A. are you located?
A 12K service can cost you a bundle. Besides you have to watch out when it comes to dealers in SOCAL. I have had my issues with BMW (Honday really) of Hollywood and I paid dearly for patronizing their business.
SCV. I took the bike to local shop that works on all kinds of bikes; S&W Cycle. They're working on it now, I'm forwarding them the "Canisterectomy" tip, and will search out the “brown wire” trick, and send it too once I find it.

I really appreciate all the tricks and advice, please keep them coming.
post #33 of 42 Old May 7th, 2009, 10:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehaughn
I had the 2002 K1200LTE, color is mauve.

Did you get the E model? Has the navigation and communication system.
How do I find out if it is an "E" model? I has a communication setup, but no nav or bracket.

Mauve was not my first or second, or even third choice, but this bike is so clean, so tight, it was tough to pass it up.
post #34 of 42 Old May 8th, 2009, 5:49 am

Cadent 50, I just bought an '01 with a Hannigan Astro sidecar and 7850 miles on the clock. Mine is also mauve which wasn't my first choice (Oceran Blue does it for me) but with or without the sidecar people stop me to compliment the bike. Both design and surorisingly the color. People seem to really like mauve. Especially the ladies. It has become a very close second for me colorwise and I am growing to like it more each day. It is different than any other factory color out there and it is a very rich looking color.

And besides, purple is the color of royalty right? I have named her Miss Aubergine (Fr. for eggplant). Maybe I should call her Princess Aubergine.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am enjoying mine. I don't understand how anything so darn heavy can be so nimble in the twisties and look so good sitting still! I guess some things in life you just accept the way they are and enjoy the heck out of them!

Vive le (la?) BMW LT!

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #35 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 3:08 am

please post pictures asap! We wanna see your ride!

Ben Cohen
VA Tags BMW LT
2002 K1200LT in black and Chrome
post #36 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 6:56 am

He posted a couple of pictures on the 12th entry on this thread. More are always appreciated. I enjoy the pictures because they all look like my bike in some way.

Chad Albrecht
post #37 of 42 Old May 9th, 2009, 9:17 am Thread Starter

I should have it back today, it's been at the shop all week, new front tire, changing fulids, 12k service, and the two updates offered here, the brown wire & the canisterectomy.. I hope to take a short ride later today, and post some photos tonight.
post #38 of 42 Old May 15th, 2009, 3:42 pm

the color is metalic mauve
post #39 of 42 Old May 15th, 2009, 5:51 pm

I have a 2002 LTC and have not done any of the canisrectomy or brown wire. Am I missing something here. You just go under the seat and cut the brown wire????? WTF What was the reason for having the wire in the first place. I can understand the fuel over fill problem but will cutting the brown wire improve riding performance??

I have been riding the Lt for three years no problems.

Al
Spokane WA
post #40 of 42 Old May 15th, 2009, 6:20 pm

Never mind I read the posts on the brown wire. Where are my wire cutters?? +

Al
Spokane Wa
post #41 of 42 Old May 15th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Let us know if you notice any difference. I rode mine for six months before the wire cutters came out. I was able to tell the difference right away. I see some posts where others could not tell any difference at all.

Chad Albrecht
post #42 of 42 Old May 15th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by spokane1200lt
I have a 2002 LTC and have not done any of the canisrectomy or brown wire. Am I missing something here. You just go under the seat and cut the brown wire????? WTF What was the reason for having the wire in the first place. I can understand the fuel over fill problem but will cutting the brown wire improve riding performance??

I have been riding the Lt for three years no problems.

Al
Spokane WA
If you do not have hot weather hesitation on throttle up from low RPM, then there is no reason to cut the brown wire. It does NOT give you better performance, only affects the mixture control on throttle advancement when the ambient air is over about 80 degrees F. When the wire is cut, you have to always use premium fuel or risk detonation in hot weather.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in