What about 09 Models? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old May 1st, 2009, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

What about 09 Models?

I am a proud owner of a 2009 LT and now have 2200 miles on it. I love the bike. Have added a Russell seat (good decision) and a few other items. I grew up with BMW bikes as a kid. Our family went on vacations on our BMWs.

My question is this: Considering the recurring maintenance problems on this forum do the 09 models have any upgrades, updates, engineering changes, etc. from the factory that fix some of these know issues?

I did have a center stand problem that the dealer fixed as a warranty item, but other than that, just smooth riding. I am just getting to know this bike but the problems relayed in this forum do make me nervous. I don't expect to have any problems but would like to know if any of the consistant issues on this forum have been addressed by BMW in the later models?

Thanks for all of the great information!

1973 BMW
2006 Honda V4
2009 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old May 1st, 2009, 3:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: What about 09 Models?

Ken,

The only issues with the later bikes that I am aware of are leaking slave cylinders on 05 units @ 18K or so. Only on late 05 also not the early ones (built in 04).

The small taper bearing on the OTHER side of the crown gear has been known to spin due to a loose fit. Most likely a mfg issue that has been corrected? I have only seen a few of these on 05's compared to the big bearing failures that the 03 and earlier suffered from.
I am at 48 K on my 05 and have had one seal leak on the output of the tranny. I had no internal leaks when I drilled the weep hole for the slave last fall. Have not seen a lot of problems with the 06 - 09 models (other than your center stand).

You do read a lot of doom and gloom here but there are also many more that have gone 150K with absolutely no issues at all so I like to think there is a chance for the same.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old May 1st, 2009, 5:19 pm Thread Starter

John,

Thanks. I have no buyers remorse. I went riding last Saturday for 5 hours and didn't want to go home. The rain is ruining this weekend but I have other trips planned.

This is the most fun I have had in a long time and the bike is the best I could have purchased. I am looking forward to all of the miles ahead!

I appreciate your input and certainly your help on the few issues I have had. I plan to go to Johnson City in July and still considering CCR later this year.

I am one happy rider!

Ken

post #4 of 8 Old May 1st, 2009, 6:48 pm

Questair1,,,
Don't worry about your BMW reliability, its as good as any other bike and better than allot out there.... Knock on wood but I'll have had mine 5 years in August an no warranty claims....

Stop worrying about what if it breaks and do your pre-flights every morning and enjoy it, there isn't anything better out there.......................Pete
post #5 of 8 Old May 1st, 2009, 7:21 pm

I'm nearing 36k miles... don't worry.. enjoy..

do your pre-flight (or pre-fright) and ride like you fly... with your head out in front.. ahead of the machine, in the wind...
post #6 of 8 Old May 1st, 2009, 10:23 pm

I've got a hair over 10,000 miles on my 09. The fuel gauge stuck at about 1/2 tank shortly after I took initial delivery last June. Repaired the following month during first service. No other issues until several weeks ago when the central lock would no longer lock the oddments box. All other cases lock and unlock except the oddments box, go figure. Also the owners manual storage/vanity mirror in the top case broke one of the pivot hinges.

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #7 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2009, 4:36 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by questair1
John,

Thanks. I have no buyers remorse. I went riding last Saturday for 5 hours and didn't want to go home. The rain is ruining this weekend but I have other trips planned.

This is the most fun I have had in a long time and the bike is the best I could have purchased. I am looking forward to all of the miles ahead!

I appreciate your input and certainly your help on the few issues I have had. I plan to go to Johnson City in July and still considering CCR later this year.

I am one happy rider!

Ken
Rain, what's rain got to do with it. Leaving here for the GA Mountain Rally in about 15 minutes, in the rain. YeeHaw!!!

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2009, 2:15 pm

Thumbs up Re: What about 09 Models?

I'm on my second LT; my 08 had a problem with the ignition shortly after leaving the dealership the day I bought it. Other than that, no problems. I've owned many bikes from most large name manufacturers over the years. As age would have it, I'm not as comfy on a cafe' style sport bike any more, but as far as touring, this is an awesome bike!

These bikes are the best money can buy, think about it. They have over 80 years of BMW development behind them (and we all know how the German engineers love to over-engineer things...). The LT is in it's 12th year run! It also has more toys and options than most bikes; therefore more chances of having issues. The FD issue I believe is at 4%? Take a look at other bike forums; you'll find that overall, 4% for one specific problem is relatively small.

Bottom line; take a look at the touring bike alternatives out there today and you'll see, the LT is the way to go! (IMHO)

FYI - Just ask my buddy who bought a new Gold Wing two weeks ago; it's so heavy that he can hardly get it on the centerstand!

Kevin

2015 BMW K1600GTL (current ride)
2012 BMW K1600GTL
2008 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW K1200LTC
1999 BMW R1150RT
1998 BMW R1100RT
1997 BMW R1200C (2)
1996 BMW R1100R
1995 BMW R850R
1994 HD Road King
1993 HD Fat Boy
1991 HD Dyna Wide Glide
1990 Ducati Monster
1988 Triumph Speed Triple
1986 Yamaha Vision
1986 Honda 1000 Interceptor
1985 Motto Guzzi Le Mans Mk IV
1983 Honda Sabre V65
1980 Kawasaki 400LTD

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in