Extended Warranty will not pay for slave cylinder failure?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Extended Warranty will not pay for slave cylinder failure??

Hello all,
My clutch slave cylinder just failed and leaked causing me to get clutch replacement. Iíve currently have an extended warranty with ďStar SportĒ Diamond Coverage, which Iím glad I purchased. (paid for itself with this particular event). Star Sport paid for everything except the slave cylinder. Iíve kinda disappointed that the extended warranty company would not cover this. Has anyone else had this experience and if so did your extended warranty company pay for the slave cylinder and if so any advice on how I can get my extended warranty company to pay for this part?

Thanks in advance.

Eddie,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't steal my Identity.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Austin, TX
2003 K1200LT-E/Silver
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 12:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Extended Warranty will not pay for slave cylinder failure??

When I purchased my extended warranty, it was specifically noted that it did not cover seals or consumables such as brake pads. I expect your leaky slave cylinder would be considered a seal for this discussion. Check the wording in your contract. Good luck.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #3 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 12:46 pm

When I bought it I made sure my extended warranty covered seals as a busted engine or tranny seal would take out the clutch.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #4 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

The Warranty repair for the clutch did cover everything except the slave cylinder, just wondering if they paid for everything else why not this part?

Eddie,
Don't steal my Identity.

Austin, TX
2003 K1200LT-E/Silver
post #5 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 2:27 pm

On a 1200lt this is considered a consumable item, along with anything in contact with them.

2005 K1200LT Graphite Gray (2nd Clutch 25,000 miles)
post #6 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info. now it all makes sense.

Thanks again.

Eddie,
Don't steal my Identity.

Austin, TX
2003 K1200LT-E/Silver
post #7 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 5:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

In the big picture you are probably damned lucky they paid for any of it. They could have tried to weasel out by saying the clutch slave was a seal failure and therefore any consequential damages caused by its failure are excluded. That's not how it should be but that's how many of the mechanical warranties are when you look closely.

post #8 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 6:15 pm

Talking Re: Extended Warranty will not pay for slave cylinder failure??

Do I have to keep saying it????????

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No limit on miles (card says 999,999 miles)
Dealer who has presented two claims for more then cost of policy
No problem getting paid
No runaround dealing with claims people
Plan adds 5 years after warranty expires
And they have plans for bikes out of factory warranty

I get nothing for saying this

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Last edited by tobiwan; May 1st, 2009 at 6:20 pm.
post #9 of 28 Old May 1st, 2009, 6:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_jumptd
The Warranty repair for the clutch did cover everything except the slave cylinder, just wondering if they paid for everything else why not this part?
Good question; they don't offer the seal as a separate part. A couple of bucks for a seal they don't offer separately (and it wouldn't take an MMI-trained mechanic to replace it) vs $135 for the end item. Hmmmm, no wonder it's "consumable."

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #10 of 28 Old May 2nd, 2009, 1:10 am

Just out of curiosity, what was the charge of the clutch replacement Star Sport paid for, and what was the charge for the slave cylinder they didn't pay for? This one event would have cost you as much or more the the cost of the extended warranty? Thanks, dwillie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_jumptd
Hello all,
My clutch slave cylinder just failed and leaked causing me to get clutch replacement. Iíve currently have an extended warranty with ďStar SportĒ Diamond Coverage, which Iím glad I purchased. (paid for itself with this particular event). Star Sport paid for everything except the slave cylinder. Iíve kinda disappointed that the extended warranty company would not cover this. Has anyone else had this experience and if so did your extended warranty company pay for the slave cylinder and if so any advice on how I can get my extended warranty company to pay for this part?

Thanks in advance.
post #11 of 28 Old May 2nd, 2009, 8:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobiwan

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No problem getting paid

The link posted above does not offer much help. How does one obtain coverage from this outfit?

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

post #12 of 28 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 4:45 am

Quote:

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No problem getting paid

I was just starting to consider the RPM ONE warranty and saw the above and went to the RPM One site and saw the folliwing exclusions.

DIAMOND COVERAGE Ė
Includes PLATINUM, plus the following:
We will pay You, or reimburse You, for the reasonable cost to repair or replace any Failure of all parts of Your Vehicle, except for those components and conditions listed in the
Exclusions section of this Contract.

EXCLUSIONS:
ANY PART NOT ORIGIALLY COVERED FOR THE FULL TERM OF OR SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED BY THE MANUFACTURER WARRANTY. THE FOLLOWING PARTS:

BATTERIES; AUDIO EQUIPMENT; ACCESSORIES; TIRES; CLUTCH PLATES; BENT SHIFT FORKS OR BENT VALVES (UNLESS CAUSED BY FAILURE OF A COVERED COMPONENT); STUCK VALVES DUE TO CARBON BUILD-UP, SNOWMOBILE SKIS/TRACKS/CLUTCH BELTS, CLUTCH WEIGHTS/ROLLERS/PINS/BUSHINGS, WHEELS UNDER SNOWMOBILE TRACK; HYFAX/SLIDE RAIL; MIRRORS; HOSES; COOLANT; BELTS; LUBRICANTS; BULBS; ANODES; CABLES; FUSES; FINAL DRIVE CHAINS, BELTS OR SPROCKETS; SHOCK ABSORBERS; FLUIDS (UNLESS REQUIRED TO REPAIR A FAILURE OF A COVERED PART); SEALS AND GASKETS ON NON-COVERED COMPONENTS; SEALS AND GASKETS FOR USED VEHICLES UNLESS THEY ARE REQUIRED TO REPAIR A FAILURE OF A COVERED PART OR SEALS AND GASKETS ARE SPECIFICALLY LISTED AS BEING COVERED.

Any thoughts?

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #13 of 28 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 6:08 pm

Look like a lot of ambiguous exclusions that would have to be settled by a small claims expert if it came to such....

Years ago I was told that the BIG PRINT gives it to you and the small print takes it away.....

It does not look like they cover everything except their butts.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by DanDiver; Jul 27th, 2011 at 9:30 pm.
post #14 of 28 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Quote:

RPMone www.RPMone.com

No exclusions
No co-pay
No deductions
No problem getting paid

If their extended warranty service is anything like their maintenance service agreement customer service, I would not go near them with a 10' pole.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
post #15 of 28 Old Jul 27th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Caveat Emptor on "pre-paid service contracts"...

I've always felt that you're better off investing in a BMW shop manual and some quality tools - yes - even if you have to buy "special tools" - rather than an extended "warranty."
(which is actually just a pre-paid service contract - not insurance or a warranty.)

Many, many of them go out of business on a regular basis or will fight you tooth and nail on even reasonable claims. The incentive for a dealership to hard sell you is phenomenal, they pocket up to 50% of the premium up front. It's by far and away the most profitable item a dealership can sell - and once the contract is signed they wipe their hands clean.

They also purposefully make the legalize in the contracts so hard to decipher it would take Alan Dershowitz to decode it.

Food for thought:

Extended warranties, how they work

continuation of article:

Extended warranties, how they work: terms and coverage

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:25 am

Re: Caveat Emptor on "pre-paid service contracts"...

For the most part, I agree. BUTT - butt occasionally, there are exceptions. I think Turner would argue with us a bit, Ron.

Click here for his thread. I'm way way past warranty on ole Toad, butt if'n I were in the replacement market, I'd look hard at Interstate STAR when I got near the end of the factory warranty. Plus, like you, I'd invest in the shop manual and a coupla odd tools, as I did with ole Toad.
post #17 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:37 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
For the most part, I agree. BUTT - butt occasionally, there are exceptions. I think Turner would argue with us a bit, Ron.

Click here for his thread. I'm way way past warranty on ole Toad, butt if'n I were in the replacement market, I'd look hard at Interstate STAR when I got near the end of the factory warranty. Plus, like you, I'd invest in the shop manual and a coupla odd tools, as I did with ole Toad.

My searching must be the pits or Star Interstate is really making it hard to be located.... I've googled um and can't get to a corporate web site for more information. Anyone have a clue as to how to get a hold of them?

Not ready for the service, just trying to FIND them.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #18 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:48 am

I agree with you Ron, I have never bought an extended warranty on anything. I always figgered that if anything major was going to fail, it would be during the initial warranty. Of course a clutch would be the exception. I am a firm believer in doing as much of my own wrenching as possible, that way I know what has been done and do not have to take somebody's word for it. On the other hand, I have a son that is very bright but can't hammer a nail in straight. He has ext. warranty on his GSA and it has paid off. He is brighter than I am and makes a lot of money ,Just sayin.

Bill
Eastern Virginia (Middle Peninsula)
K3ZXV
05 Honda Sabre 1100
04 Triumph Speedmaster , Black with
California Sidecar Friendship II
99 K1200LT, Basalt Gray "DELILAH" (SOLD)
99 R1100RT ,Glacier Green (SOLD
)
post #19 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 7:56 am
Lifetime Supporter

Dan,

Try this link, look under "sport".

http://www.inds.com/consumers_products_services.asp

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380
post #20 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Sure, there's always exceptions Dick - BUTT ya' gotta go with the research. I'm not a gamblin' man. Here's what 'ya get when you spin the roulette wheel on a totally unregulated biz:

(This may be talking about cars, but I feel pretty confident you can extrapolate the numbers for motorcycles since we're pushing $30K these days for top end models.)

"Concern about future repairs is what mainly drove people to sign up for an extended service plan, but for the most part, their worst fears did not materialize. Plans were used by 58 percent of buyers, and the average repair savings were less than what they paid for the contract. Only about a third of all respondents who bought an extended warranty actually used their plan to cover a serious problem."

(WOW - talk about margins - that's a phenomenal "business" model - no wonder so many shady characters are drawn to it)

"Another way to look at this is through the experiences of people who had vehicles four to six years old and who did not have extended warranty coverage. Analysis from our extensive reliability database showed that only about 4 percent of those cars had repair costs of more than $1,700 in a one-year period, and fewer than 1 percent had $3,700 in such costs."

Looking at this another way, there's a 96% chance you'll never recover even close to the initial cost of your average warranty during a claim, and a 99% chance you'll never need it for a catastrophic repair like replacing a transmission or engine.

It's been my personal experience that my older vehicles are actually MORE reliable as time goes on since I've fixed the known issues, not to mention they are usually MUCH less expensive to repair by an average mechanic since they do not need to be taken back to a dealer with proprietary computers. Parts are much less expensive as well. BUTT, that's another topic.

My take on the whole enchilada is that this is a purely fear driven purchase, pushed hard on unsuspecting consumers. BUTT then again I've often been accused of being one taco short of a combination platter.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #21 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 10:54 am

Agreed, Ron!!

(Nope, not the taco thang!!! ).
post #22 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I'm not a gamblin' man.
Throwing the "BS Flag" on this one... You own an LT, and we've all seen many of your "Ghetto Mods"!

Actually (knocking on wood, AND throwing salt over my shoulder), I agree with your assessment, and never buy extended warranties. Been lucky for the past 34 years (bought my first brand new vehicle at age 18)!

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #23 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:59 am

yummy, TACO!

2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц 2 March '12 -
2008 R1200GSA Dec'11 - March '12 (sold)
2009 K1200LT The Черный заяц Nov '10 - Nov '11 (sold )
2000 K1200LT Flying Purple Mile Eater May '10 - Nov '10 (sold)
2005 VTX1300s Nov '09 - Nov '10 (sold)

post #24 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 11:59 am

I opted for the Star Extended warranty when we bought our 03 with 25,000 miles on it. As mentioned above there are different levels, Standard, Platinum and Diamond. I took the Diamond plan which covers seals plus everything else specifically stated on the exclusions. Diamond also had no deductible with unlimited miles (I have 80,000 on it now).

So far I've had complete exhaust replaced (internally cracked), final drive replaced(excessive play and leaking), fork seal replacements (leaking), water pump(leaking), rear rotor (buttons worn) 02 sensor and I'm sure a few other items I've forgotten. I plan to take it in soon for the infamous rear trunk latch failure, I have no reason to believe they won't replace that either. It would also cover clutch replacement as long as the failure was caused by seal failure and not wear.The drag is that it expires after 7 years, for me that will be May 2012. Fiscally it has paid off for me and I'd do it again.

I got the bike and the plan in 2005 so I don't know if they've changed their policies since then.

Hopefully the expiration will coincide with the purchase of a new GT1600!
post #25 of 28 Old Jul 28th, 2011, 12:42 pm

I had a couple of friends who had no failures under the BMW motorcycle warranty, but had major failures during the extended warranties. Both were in the neighborhood of $6-7 grand in repairs over the duration of the warranty, completely covered except for a $50.00 deductible. Their approximately $1K investment in an extended warranty saved them 5-6K in repair costs. In both cases the companies covered the work promptly and without hassel. The BMW forums are filled with people like my two friends who have benefitted significantly from an extended warranty. These machines have a lot of technology and with it, high repair costs if they fail. On my previous LT (99) I turned down the offer of $900 to buy an extended warranty as was my practice. I had no failures under the BMW warranty, but had the main seal go costing me over $2,500 to repair. Had I purchased the warranty, which would have covered the repairs, I would have been $1,600.00 to the good and then still covered for any potential future repairs. While there are bad companies out there and horror stories of companies not making good on claims, there also are good companies as well.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547

Last edited by Gizmo1137; Jul 28th, 2011 at 12:44 pm. Reason: Content
post #26 of 28 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 10:24 am

I have had a general disdain for any sort of extended warranties for all my life, but in the last few years I may have had my mind changed. I got about double the cost of my truck's extended service contract, maybe more. It cost $1300 and they paid for one tranny and a major AC repair, besides various smaller things. Covered a rental in every case.

Recently when I bought my LT I considered one of the service agreements, and decided against it. Then I had the same clutch slave failure mentioned here. It would have been covered, and saved much more than the cost of the plan. I had specifically asked if the clutch slave was covered and had a yes in writing.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #27 of 28 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 10:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvarez
I have had a general disdain for any sort of extended warranties for all my life, but in the last few years I may have had my mind changed. I got about double the cost of my truck's extended service contract, maybe more. It cost $1300 and they paid for one tranny and a major AC repair, besides various smaller things. Covered a rental in every case.

Recently when I bought my LT I considered one of the service agreements, and decided against it. Then I had the same clutch slave failure mentioned here. It would have been covered, and saved much more than the cost of the plan. I had specifically asked if the clutch slave was covered and had a yes in writing.
I also am having a shift in thinking. I did not purchase one on my 09 LT, but I am leaning towards purchasing one before the 1-year is out.

Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
IBA # 8547
post #28 of 28 Old Jul 29th, 2011, 4:41 pm

Cool Re: Extended Warranty will not pay for slave cylinder failure??

My policy was purchased in 07. I can only speak to my experience and what MAX service people told me.

Have they modified newer contracts? Could be.

Like I said they have been good to me and both fixes were for more then the cost of the policy.

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in