Fuel Leak/Dump - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 7:33 pm Thread Starter

Fuel Leak/Dump

Traveling from Dublin Ga. to Aster Fl. for 1 day of fishing. 6 hours from home
Just turned onto state road 40. Smelt gas. Looked down and right foot and leg was soaked. Fuel was poring out to the rt fairing area. "panic set in." I could not pull over because of a low, and steep shoulder. So, I stuck my right leg straight out to get it out of the stream of gas, and trudged on.

BTW "you loose all style points" while passing the harley guys in that configuration.

Anyway, rode like that for 10 minutes until I could find a gas station. I figured if it didnt catch on fire in the first few minutes it might not

Made it to Aster without turning into a flame-ball. Worked on the damn motorcycle while my buddies fished, drank beer, and chasended me with comments, like "should of baught a harley etc." "All in fun." Only had the tool-kit. Pulled the rt side panel off and found a cracked "qd, snap together, connector just below the fuel tank." I removed it and installed a hose to hose barb from NAPA.

Worked good home, but now what?

Dale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 8:57 pm

Re: Fuel Leak/Dump

Getcha some of these:

At www.mscdirect.com, the part numbers are:
2 x 88080445 $24.81 each
Description: 5/16"SHUTOFF HOSE BARB LCD CPLING BODY IN-LINE

2 x 88080486 $15.30 each
Description: 5/16"HOSE BARB SHUTOFF LCD CPLING INSERT IN-LINE

1 x 9452K19 BUNA-N O-RING, PK $2.05 (100 in the package)

When you install 'em, be careful taking the OEM plastic ones out and make sure you get all the leetle bits and pieces. Then, install these metal ones - reverse one of 'em so you'll know which end goes to which end when you later separate 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Just turned onto state road 40. Smelt gas. Looked down and right foot and leg was soaked. Fuel was poring out to the rt fairing area. "panic set in." I could not pull over because of a low, and steep shoulder. So, I stuck my right leg straight out to get it out of the stream of gas, and trudged on.

BTW "you loose all style points" while passing the harley guys in that configuration.

Anyway, rode like that for 10 minutes until I could find a gas station. I figured if it didnt catch on fire in the first few minutes it might not

Made it to Aster without turning into a flame-ball. Worked on the damn motorcycle while my buddies fished, drank beer, and chasended me with comments, like "should of baught a harley etc." "All in fun." Only had the tool-kit. Pulled the rt side panel off and found a cracked "qd, snap together, connector just below the fuel tank." I removed it and installed a hose to hose barb from NAPA.

Dale
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong

Dale
Been running with hose barb from NAPA for almost a year now. Eventually will replace with metal quick disconnects. Try Beemer Boneyard.

Tommy
02 K12 LT - 251,000 Miles and counting
442,000+ BMW Miles and counting

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:26 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikertz
Been running with hose barb from NAPA for almost a year now. Eventually will replace with metal quick disconnects. Try Beemer Boneyard.
+ 1 on the beemer boneyard worth every penney. I also carry spares just in case I can be of help to others. DAMW

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:14 pm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in