Please tell me your secret! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 6:51 pm Thread Starter

Please tell me your secret!

Hi there,
greetings from Tigre (20 Km north from Buenos Aires, Argentina).
About two months ago I bought a 2001 LT with 50,000Km on it. My previous bike was a 1150GS, but had to sell cause my wife hated her seat. I bought a silicone mat, a lambskin with wool on it.... but this did not make her feel more comfortable. Soon i realized that if she decided not to come along on my rides any more, it also meant I soon would have to retire from biking as well! Having this in mind, we went to a BMW dealer to look for a new bike for HER. The search criteria was quite simple: the pillion' s seat had to be comfortable: no matter if new or used nor Oilhead or K series... we were JUST looking for a SEAT
First bike we made a test ride on was a brand new 1200GS (I was reluctant to give up the GS' s !)... but she disliked it. When I was about to get on a 1200 RT she saw the 1200LT, pointed her finger on it and said: THAT IS THE BIKE I want to ride on from now on! To make a long story short: that very day we drove off on board of this super cruiser. That very weekend we made a short trip (400 KM) to the sea. Every time we came to a stop or slowed down she kept telling me how comfortable her seat was and how much she hated the GS' s. I smiled assuming that each comment added bonuses to my "motrocycle driver life expectancy". The trip was great, but every time I drove at low speed or braked to a full stop I felt unsecure with the handling of the bike. I remembered having had the same feeling with a 2001 Suzuki Marauder. The worst part was when I had to make a sharp turn (actually a "U" Turn) on a street, here I thought: this is it.. it's doing what IT wants and not what I want!!! The disaster I predicted did not happen, but sooner or later it will fall. Now, after having made a 9 days / 4,000Km trip I must say I like this bike a lot... but still feel unsecure and a little frightened when making sharp turns ! Question: how he heck do YOU do it???? Or is there an aftermarket HINGE to be placed in the middle of the bike for making it behave properly on turns?
Best regards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 7:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Please tell me your secret!

Welcome to the world of the LT Cosme,

I successfully avoided the "The Drop" for almost five years. Concentrate and never hit the brakes with the front wheel turned. Practice tight turns in the parking lot until you are comfortable with the clutch in the "feathered zone" and the RPMs up but not overly pulling the bike in the slow, high tilt manouvers. Do this first one up to gain confidence then persue two up.

I did finnally drop it - two up while attempting a bit of a U-turn from a parking lot onto a two lane. Looked to my left - all clear then a quick look right followed by the lean to the left and another look - there was a car. Had to hit the brakes while leaned and down she gently went. Wife did a four point landing and we were both fine. Bike was OK as well but my pride was a bit damaged and so was my no-drop record.

Enjoy the LT

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 7:25 pm

Here's what I do for slow speed control:
Increase rpms and slip the clutch and drag the rear brake.
I basically control the bike's speed with the rear brake.
This allows much finer control of speed and balance making slow speed handling with two people on board easier.

Practice that, you may find it helps.
Enjoy the ride.

post #4 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 7:37 pm

dido on "dragging the rear brake" helps alot
post #5 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 7:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieVT
Here's what I do for slow speed control:
Increase rpms and slip the clutch and drag the rear brake.
I basically control the bike's speed with the rear brake.
This allows much finer control of speed and balance making slow speed handling with two people on board easier.

Practice that, you may find it helps.
Enjoy the ride.
Absolutely.

Hold RPM at 2500 by slipping the clutch, right foot controls the speed.

Oh yeah, keep YOUR HEAD UP and look where you are going - not where you ARE. Relax and take a deep breath, it works just great.

I could SWEAR you get some gyroscopic help from the engine, even though the physics of our Brick says it ain't so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #6 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
Absolutely.

Hold RPM at 2500 by slipping the clutch, right foot controls the speed.

Oh yeah, keep YOUR HEAD UP and look where you are going - not where you ARE. Relax and take a deep breath, it works just great.

I could SWEAR you get some gyroscopic help from the engine, even though the physics of our Brick says it ain't so.
Alright Shealey - don't read further!

I agree, Ron. It may not be gyroscopic, butt instead hygroscopic, microscopic, telescopic, or just plain scopic, butt more twist in the grip or sumpthin', helps me git around the bend.
post #7 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Tight turns? Like in the ERC box? Turn your head, second gear, clutch fully released, and drag the rear brake. I don't tease the tigers with the dry clutch; brake pads are cheaper.

Just my technique and $0.02

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #8 of 37 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Watch this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsdzdm35lbI

Next, you "go where you are looking"... so do not look down..

on an ABS motorcycle, the brakes do not "engage" really hard at low speeds.... but, if you press the brake "quickly", the ABS senses that as being a bit of a "panic" and has a tendency to overapply..

So, "drag" the brakes BEFORE you enter the turn and keep pressure "steady" ... keep RPM high enough such as over 2500 RPM to have the power "reserve" to move the bike when you release the clutch...

Next, use the clutch to adjust your speed in the turn...and try to keep it steady..

I went to a parking lot and started with a "wide" turn and kept working my technique until comfortable with the radius.

Another tip is to move your weight onto the pegs.. yes, stand just a bit.. that will also help lower the center of gravity....

Hope this helps..
post #9 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:48 am

You've been given several good tips. When I first got mine I was terrified. I flew from California to New York to pick up my LT from a friend who lived in Manhattan. Without so much as a test ride or any LT experience I started my cross country ride home during Manhattan rush hour in a rain storm on a street covered with large steel construction plates. My friend just shook his head, I don't think he expected me to make it in one piece. As soon as I crossed the New Jersey border I encountered the worst cross winds I have ever ridden in and they literally followed me across the country without letting up until I crossed into Arizona. I was miserable and ready to sell it the day I got home. 100K later the only way I'd part with my LT is to make room for a new one. It's 90% mental, once you learn to trust the bike you will be amazed at what it can do. Low speeds aren't a real issue, neither are spirited rides through the canyons. With a little practice and a few of the listed tips here and you will be amazing yourself and the friends you ride with. Have fun.
post #10 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 3:27 am

My biking days were almost over when I first dropped it with the Lass on the back - it broke her shoulder!
Dropped it twice more with her on - she knows how to fall properly now.
It is a LONG way up from that pillion seat.to the floor

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #11 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 5:03 am

Just remember...

The wings on the sides are very durable.
Do not try to save her when she goes down.
Just guide her heavy a$$ to the ground.
No need to strain your back and get hurt over a drop.

You are going to eventually drop it.
It will be OK we all get to experience this when owning one of these large monsters.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #12 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 7:29 am Thread Starter

Thanks to all!!!!

Next Monday you will get some news from me! I will spend the entire weekend doing turns on an empty parking lot. In order to get relaxed enough I figured out that a sequence like 1 right turn / 1 pint of beer / 1 left turn / 1 pint of beer might help. What´s you idea about this????

What about the body attitude? you only advised to keep the head up and look to the point I am driving to. Should I keep one foot down and drag it during the turn or is it better to keep it on the pegs once the bike started? Body straight or slightly bent to the inner of the curve?

Thanks, Cosme

There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, "Yes," you know he is a crook.
Groucho Marx
post #13 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 7:45 am

Keep the feet up - spot that mark you want

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #14 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc
Thanks to all!!!!

Next Monday you will get some news from me! I will spend the entire weekend doing turns on an empty parking lot. In order to get relaxed enough I figured out that a sequence like 1 right turn / 1 pint of beer / 1 left turn / 1 pint of beer might help. What´s you idea about this????

What about the body attitude? you only advised to keep the head up and look to the point I am driving to. Should I keep one foot down and drag it during the turn or is it better to keep it on the pegs once the bike started? Body straight or slightly bent to the inner of the curve?

Thanks, Cosme
Using your feet during a turn is known as "paddling". Its a substitute for good riding technique and a sure way to eventually injure yourself.

The first thing I think of when I see a rider paddling is ,

the next thing I usually hear is

followed by and

and me

Just relax, keep breathing - its amazing how many people unconsciously hold their breath when trying to learn a new skill - and concentrate on being smooooooooth.

Nuttin' to it!

Oh yeah, did I mention KEEP YOUR HEAD UP?

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Apr 29th, 2009 at 8:09 am.
post #15 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:46 am

Good job, Ron. I never knew one could tell a story with the smilies!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #16 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
Good job, Ron. I never knew one could tell a story with the smilies!
Yea! Ditto! I've had my laugh for the day, Ron, thanks.

2002 K1200LTC
post #17 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:22 am

"I agree, Ron. It may not be gyroscopic, butt instead hygroscopic, microscopic, telescopic, or just plain scopic, butt more twist in the grip or sumpthin', helps me git around the bend."

Now thats a great lead in for a high school science class!! arharh, gawd thats funny...

I don't understand either, did a woman design the LT??

Never heard it run, only saw it in person once before in a parking lot at work, never thought about buying one...it took the wife 10 SECONDS to say "this is it"...and I'm sure she was waiting only so I thought she actually thought about what she was saying.

Didn't matter, she made the decision in the showroom from the pillion seat of that sliver 02 sitting under the spotlight. She's never looked back either, still loves it after 126k miles.

And thats on the stock seat!

Regarding drops, my approach...don't worry about it. I've dropped my bike so many times I've lost count. I only did damage once when I lowsided (bent the brake lever). Its made to drop. It ain't made to catch on the way down however, let it go

If doing a u-turn is a problem at all, I revert back to the y-turn, much easier on iffy roads/dirt,etc. You'll come to grips with it over time..and miles.
post #18 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:55 am

Hi Cosme,

Great advice above. The bike is actually easier to handle than she seems capable of.

If you want my advice drop her as soon as you can, with your wife onboard. She only falls to about a 45º angle, and there is no point in trying to stop her. The first time is always the most difficult and embarrasing, after that it´s part of the ride.

P.S. I sent you an e-mail regarding the spanish language LT site.

Simon
post #19 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:39 am

Two years driving two-up on the LT and she tipped once. The wife quickly jerked to the right at a stop light. Caught me unexpectly, but if i were on a smaller, lighter bike i could have easily countered the weight.

But you get used to it, and better at it. This really is the best bike in the world, but it's a bit much to handle.
post #20 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:44 am

Welll....the last drop I had, the wife was trying to get on the back. I was trying to keep the two cups of fresh, hot coffee in-tact while they were sitting on the console

So the wife starts to get on the back, before I can say anything over it goes, arharh...I lost BOTH cups of coffee! what a tragedy....had one sip before the demise.

some guy ran over to help us get the bike up (on a slightly angled park lot), all I could do is say thanks and whine about the spilt coffee....fresh, hot, mmmm...gone!

not a scratch on the bike from that one by the way..

None of this was nearly as much fun as dumping the wife in the #2 lane of I-20 in Dallas at the I-20/W-35 interchange last Nov, unexpected ice storm. She didn't even know what hit us, she was just on the ground, arharh..I won't be trying that again anytime soon
post #21 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Now I have the feeling that a real MACHO is the guy who drops the LT and does not feel embarrassed for letting it happen!! This is a confession: some years ago we made a trip to a little town at the sea side in my GS. Trip was OK, no special remarks. Two months ago I visited this place again, and upon arrival I noticed that the main entrance to the village was a SAND road. Still on the pavement I turned and told my wife that it would be no problem to deal with it the same way we had done it with the GS. I engaged the 2nd gear for prevent it from slipping, and rode slowly into the road. 10 meters ahead, the LT capsized (it was a weird feeling: as if it had slipped sidewards while trying to make a complete overhead turn) Meanwhile, the bike rested on a 45º angle. Putting it up again on 2 wheels on slippery sand was something to remember! Finally I sent her to the hotel in a cab while I drove it at low speed with great care and awesome stress to a safe parking ground. In this trip I learned not to drive LT´s in sand ... and how difficult it can get to put her back in 2 wheels if ground is slippery!

Cosme

There's one way to find out if a man is honest - ask him. If he says, "Yes," you know he is a crook.
Groucho Marx
post #22 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Impossible if slippery...if it wasnt' for those nice Texan's I'd still be layin' in the middle of I-20! Well, most Texans that is, I'm not sure about some of em here...err...never. mind

Really though, two folks jumped out of their cages in front/behind me, came over, helped the wife up (too slippery to stand), helped me upright the bike and walk it to the shoulder out of traffic, thats above and beyond duty IMHO.

I saw an article awhile back that said Texas has the most residents who..never leave!! I guess I could see why, I had help all the way to the place I parked it for the next couple days waiting for the ice to go away.
post #23 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Hi there,
greetings from Tigre (20 Km north from Buenos Aires, Argentina).
About two months ago I bought a 2001 LT with 50,000Km on it. My previous bike was a 1150GS, but had to sell cause my wife hated her seat. I bought a silicone mat, a lambskin with wool on it.... but this did not make her feel more comfortable. Soon i realized that if she decided not to come along on my rides any more, it also meant I soon would have to retire from biking as well! Having this in mind, we went to a BMW dealer to look for a new bike for HER. The search criteria was quite simple: the pillion' s seat had to be comfortable: no matter if new or used nor Oilhead or K series... we were JUST looking for a SEAT
First bike we made a test ride on was a brand new 1200GS (I was reluctant to give up the GS' s !)... but she disliked it. When I was about to get on a 1200 RT she saw the 1200LT, pointed her finger on it and said: THAT IS THE BIKE I want to ride on from now on! To make a long story short: that very day we drove off on board of this super cruiser. That very weekend we made a short trip (400 KM) to the sea. Every time we came to a stop or slowed down she kept telling me how comfortable her seat was and how much she hated the GS' s. I smiled assuming that each comment added bonuses to my "motrocycle driver life expectancy". The trip was great, but every time I drove at low speed or braked to a full stop I felt unsecure with the handling of the bike. I remembered having had the same feeling with a 2001 Suzuki Marauder. The worst part was when I had to make a sharp turn (actually a "U" Turn) on a street, here I thought: this is it.. it's doing what IT wants and not what I want!!! The disaster I predicted did not happen, but sooner or later it will fall. Now, after having made a 9 days / 4,000Km trip I must say I like this bike a lot... but still feel unsecure and a little frightened when making sharp turns ! Question: how he heck do YOU do it???? Or is there an aftermarket HINGE to be placed in the middle of the bike for making it behave properly on turns?
Best regards!
Welcome to the world of the world's finest touring bike, and most exasperating.
There is definitely a learning curve with the LT. The key is, as stated by others, avoid ever hitting the breaks with the front wheel anything but straight. And, when stopping keep you head up and looking straight ahead. It will help you make smooth comfortable stops each time. Then practice low speed turns in parking lots, etc, both with two up and one up. You'll get very comfortable with the LT and learn to love her as most of us have.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #24 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Great info. Especially the rider procedures. However, Can someone please explain to my wife the proper thing to do or not do, if the bike starts to go. We ride 2 up, and havent fallen with her on yet Should she jump, or just hang on? Is there a common procedure, like we use for getting on and off? Has anyone ever practiced with their SO?
post #25 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 5:30 pm

You can do all the things the members told you to do. Or you can do what I did--I would never be forgiven if I dropped my wife. I attached a side-car and despite my aprehensions about loosing the fun of riding--it did not happen. I am loving it-my wife is more comfy and I can carry everything but the kitchen sink.
Best of luck
Les
post #26 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 6:10 pm

Dale,

I can´t really answer that question. As you can imagine the bike goes over in a ( more or less ) controlled manner. You instinctively put your leg out to basically balance yourself whilst the bike falls. I suppose she does the same thing whilst holding onto me at the same time.

We have never really tumbled to the ground ourselves.

After the bike has fallen, I brush myself off whilst she lifts it up again.

She is around 5´2" if that is any help.
post #27 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
Great info. Especially the rider procedures. However, Can someone please explain to my wife the proper thing to do or not do, if the bike starts to go. We ride 2 up, and havent fallen with her on yet Should she jump, or just hang on? Is there a common procedure, like we use for getting on and off? Has anyone ever practiced with their SO?
It's been my experience that she will have little in the way of time or thought in the event of a get off. I myself vividly remember a time I hit a slick spot and the bike slid out so fast I was briefly in mid air, still in a riding position with nothing under me. It was a very strange feeling of confusion followed by a painful landing. As a passenger, she will most likely be the last to know what's happening. It will be too late to take preemptive action. Physics and gravity will make most of her decisions for her. If there is a warning such as a wobble her reactions should mirror yours. Give the bike and rider a chance to find a safe path. Deliberate bail outs are rarely a good idea.
post #28 of 37 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 7:50 pm

The "best" thing is for the pillion rider to NOT move... Pick a spot to look, like in direction of the turn, just over your inside shoulder....then, "lock in"...before the turn starts.... and relax...

Have an agreement between you of a code word... that mean you are about to bail... If that happens, have her lift her inside foot and not try to catch the bike... or you.... and make sure the armrests are "up" out of her way.

Oh.. and be SURE she has better or equal rider gear...
post #29 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 7:24 am

thats good stuff. i'm worried about a fall over at low speed. it's almost happened a couple of times. i wonder if we should discuss the procedure and maybe even practice at home in the grass, or a padded mat, or something. "hell, i dont know"

she is a good rider with many years of no issues. however we had 10 years on goldwings. the LT takes more low speed talent. "what started this post"

we have the armrest that folds up and out to the side of the bike. I really see it posing a problem for her in a fall over.
post #30 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 8:28 am

Quote:
Thanks to all!!!!

Thanks, Cosme
Coming in on this a little late but wanted to comment on your question. Definitely want to keep your feet up. Catching your toe on an imperfection in the road surface when under forward motion can do funny thing to an ankle when it gets driven into a foot peg or other bike part.

As far a body position, you should load your weight to the outside foot peg and lean your body weight toward the outside of the turn. This will help counter balance the weight of the bike. For very slow, tight turns you can actually pick your butt up and physically move it in the saddle to the edge of the seat toward the out side of the turn.

Good luck with your practice.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #31 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 9:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen
Coming in on this a little late but wanted to comment on your question. Definitely want to keep your feet up. Catching your toe on an imperfection in the road surface when under forward motion can do funny thing to an ankle when it gets driven into a foot peg or other bike part.

As far a body position, you should load your weight to the outside foot peg and lean your body weight toward the outside of the turn. This will help counter balance the weight of the bike. For very slow, tight turns you can actually pick your butt up and physically move it in the saddle to the edge of the seat toward the out side of the turn.

Good luck with your practice.
good advise; thanks a lot!
II have the feeling of having driven all my previous bikes more by instinct than by technique. Driving Big Bertha will certainly need the opposite :-)

Groucho Marx
post #32 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:06 pm

Caveno,

Was your wife hurt? Did you have armrests? Did she bail, or just ride it to the ground. The time i fell "single up" I just sort of bailed off, or stuck my leg out and stood up when I it got to the point of no return.
post #33 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:25 pm

cfell,

that is an awsome video. I've watched it a dozen times. question, how did it get down? and are you naturally strong? I weigh a buck, 60, have bird legs, and sit behind a desk all day. Could I do it without droppin nuts?
post #34 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You will always fall from going too slow in a turn. Keep the speed up and if it starts to tip too far simply apply more throttle to straighten it up as you step through with your leg on the low side.

post #35 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 1:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnifong
cfell,

that is an awsome video. I've watched it a dozen times. question, how did it get down? and are you naturally strong? I weigh a buck, 60, have bird legs, and sit behind a desk all day. Could I do it without droppin nuts?
Hi, no, not very strong...I can't even swing a hammer with much authority!

The video is not mine it is of a member on this board.

To "demo" you can "ease" the bike over on to something soft like a carpet square to minimize scratching. The "outrigger" is designed to take substantial impact... but I wouldn't just "drop" the bike intentionally ...

With help of someone on front and rear along with someone on the "outboard" side to provide some additional counterbalance, the bike should go down easily.
post #36 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 2:22 pm

Welcome to the site and to the world of the LT!!

On the slow speed stuff - practice, practice, practice! There is a course in the US called Experienced Rider Course, taught by Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Included in the course is a 'U-turn box' (or 'figure 8 box) (painted on the pavement) that is 25 feet wide. After practice I am able to enter the box in one corner, make a full-lock u-turn to the left, then another to the right, then exit the box on the corner diagnonally across from the entry. As said earlier, the secrets are use the friction zone of the clutch, keep a few revs up, and drag a little rear brake, and LOOK where you want to be (yes, look way over your shoulder).

Argentina is on our list of places to see - have seen beautiful photos.

Ride safe!

Jim Taylor
Minneapolis
07 Black LT "Dancing Heart", 03 Quantum "Ice"
02 Black LTC "Raven" (RIP 8/26/06)
08 Can-Am Spyder (hers) (#731)
post #37 of 37 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 3:30 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorjn
Welcome to the site and to the world of the LT!!

On the slow speed stuff - practice, practice, practice! There is a course in the US called Experienced Rider Course, taught by Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Included in the course is a 'U-turn box' (or 'figure 8 box) (painted on the pavement) that is 25 feet wide. After practice I am able to enter the box in one corner, make a full-lock u-turn to the left, then another to the right, then exit the box on the corner diagnonally across from the entry. As said earlier, the secrets are use the friction zone of the clutch, keep a few revs up, and drag a little rear brake, and LOOK where you want to be (yes, look way over your shoulder).

Argentina is on our list of places to see - have seen beautiful photos.

Ride safe!
Hi Jim,
thanks for your kind and warm welcome!
This weekend I will do my best on an empty parking lot. A friend of mine will lend me some (no idea how they are called) PLASTIC CONES (?) to make my private practice circuit. In regard to Argentina: yes, it is very beautiful. I have just returned from a 9 days / 3,000 MI trip to the North West of the country where many breathtaking landscapes are to be seen. Last October I rented a Wing in California and drove around for about 1,500 Mi (101 HWY, Sequoia Nat Park Napa Valley, GRand Canyon, etc) and really must recognize yours is very beautiful as well!

Groucho Marx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in