BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Down she goes!

3K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  dfinazzo 
#1 ·
Normally I wouldn't share embarrassing stuff like this, but I am on day 3 of a series of bad days....

1) Spent 2 days resurrecting my laptop - finally had to do a full reinstall of XP. Lost all My Documents, bookmarks, etc. I think I need a disaster recovery plan.

Now for the latest 'incident'.

2) Went to Hobby Lobby for more PineWood derby supplies - I hate to think what we have in that car. Anyways, as I pulled to the end of the parking aisle, i started a slow turn to the right. Apparently it was to slow and "Down she goes!". Fortunately a good samaritan was there before I could get up off the ground and helped me right the beast. Now for the bad news. Right side JPeg is really scraped and bolts appear bent, right side black bumper is scraped, and right side lower fairing is holed.

Since I lost my bookmarks, I don't recall the URL for the company that sells the JPegs so I can price repair parts. Also, if you know of a source, in addition to ebay, for tupperware, I'ld appreciate it.

PS - put in a new Odyssey battery Friday - piece of cake!

See less See more
#4 ·
gulfxray said:
Things will be ok until SWMBO realizes I am not hurt ;)
How long do you have to wear the cast? :D

#6 ·
dshealey said:
How long do you have to wear the cast? :D
Good one David! I gimped around for a couple hours and took some Ibuprofen to complete the charade.... Only my pride was hurt...

It was another of those slow motion things -- I just didn't give her enough gas as I let out on the clutch and she started rolling then died... At least I knew enough not to jam out my leg and try and hold her....

#9 ·
gulfxray said:
Good one David! I gimped around for a couple hours and took some Ibuprofen to complete the charade.... Only my pride was hurt...

It was another of those slow motion things -- I just didn't give her enough gas as I let out on the clutch and she started rolling then died... At least I knew enough not to jam out my leg and try and hold her....
I realized about .03 seconds into the drop that she was goin and my leg was about as sturdy as a toothpick under a cement truck.....i basically just stepped off.....
and as for pride being hurt--at least you had a valid reason--how do i tell others that my mind wandered??? hehe hell, it does that all the time......

Uhoh.....

#10 ·
gulfxray said:
Thanks Dave -- I'll definitely look into it...
Shawn - I don't know which, the computer crash or the bike crash, are more of an issue for you right now, I've been both places, and neither is any fun.

But I can recommend Acronis True Image for total system backup, for when that issue gets to the top of your list. I've had several crashes in the past and lost data that was important to me. I decided to try to devise a system to prevent that happening again, to the extent possible. True Image makes a mirror image of your hard drive(s) that you can use to totally restore the drive, or just selectively explore an image you've made and restore single/multiple files from that image.

I run a new image about once a week, and keep the three latest ones on a different hard drive on my system. That way, if my C: drive goes south, I can simply install a new drive and restore my latest image on it and go on down the road. It's worked for me for the past couple of years. I've had to totally restore my C: drive at least once, maybe twice, and it's worked as advertised.

"gulfxray"? Would that be derived from an airplane N number, by chance?

Dave

#11 ·
I use Symantic GHost to backup and reimage machines. I am in the business and it seems to work very well. I too have had many XP crashes and it pisses me off everytime. I finally decided to separate important data from the Operating system. I have three hard drives. 1 for the op sys, 1 for my pics and the third is a backup of all m pics. I am a photographer as well as computer guy. I am contemplating seeting up an array.

Good luck.

#12 ·
Lzyellodog said:
I use Symantic GHost to backup and reimage machines.
I used to use Symantec software, but haven't for several years now. Their product "activation" scheme is a pain, and apparently is problematic for many users, judging by the comments I see on Google "Groups". What I like about Acronis True Image is that it runs under Windows. Many other competing products require rebooting into a DOS-like environment before they can do their stuff.

I have 3 HDs too, BTW. One can never have too many hard drives. ;)

#13 ·
You would figure that after over 100K on a bike (30K on the LT) one would be less-inclined to "fall over"! But, I made the same mistake on the BRP last year with two HD in tow (that's why we stopped-to wait for them) and as I re-entered the parkway, looked over my left shoulder and didn't have enough gas on the throttle and down she went, wife hanging on and all! Slow motion. Tried to hold her up (both of them) and luggage, almost worked!

Embarrassed no, was more upset that I bent the J-Peg bolt on the left side!

So, moral of the story, glad you are ok and it is a simple fix for the J-Peg bolt.

#14 ·
If anyone is curious, here is what the hole the J-Peg will punch looks like...

I hate to be cheap, but what I think I am going to do is 'clean' the hole up a bit with the Dremel and not worry about replacing the lower fairing. By the time the J-Peg is back on, it is virtually invisible and it will save $95+.

Attachments

#15 ·
gulfxray said:
If anyone is curious, here is what the hole the J-Peg will punch looks like...

I hate to be cheap, but what I think I am going to do is 'clean' the hole up a bit with the Dremel and not worry about replacing the lower fairing. By the time the J-Peg is back on, it is virtually invisible and it will save $95+.
Just tell anyone who looks that Number three cylinder was running 3.7 degrees hot, and after wind tunnel testing the added circulation solved it. :D

Or, your right inner ankle was getting cold. :D

#18 ·
Sorry to hear about your misfortune Shawn....You can fix that little hole yourself..
They make repair kits for the new plastic body panels... That's all you need..
You can use it to repair the scrapes too.. A little putty, A little sanding, A little paint and noone will ever know you did it...Back in the 80's I was working for Mosler ( in Tulsa actually ) and got to B'ville often, We had kits to repair the RIM that all the newer Remote Transaction System units were starting to be made from...If nothing else you can use Conley Weld or JB for that matter .. A little piece of screen behind the hole will hold the epoxy in place until it dries.. Used to fix a lot of airplane nose cones with Conley Weld...It's made in Tulsa.

Holler if'n you need some hep'.....

John

#19 ·
Thanks for the ideas John! WHere would I find those body panel repair kits? Think AUtozone or O'Reily's would carry 'em?

Be glad when it warms up so I make it OKC and see some fo you guys...

#20 ·
Shawn,

How warm has it got to be ?

We've had 65 degree days about once a week, last weekend it got up to 70.

No iffin your talkin before the sun gets up, then that is understandable.

Iffin you said you wanted to wait until the wind got below 20mph, I could see that too.

;););)

#21 ·
Calling all you technical geniuses...

I have tried to look locally for the correct bolts to replce the 2 j-peg bolts that were bent during my little incident in January.

The variety of responses have been interesting, but sadly I've had no luck...

I was looking on McMaster-Carr and found this: # 90298A716 ...

The measurements look right to me, but I would like your opinion.

This is 18-8 Stainless Steel. They have a similar one from 316 Stainless Steel (97345A716).

Could I get by, safely, with the 18-8 bolt?

You can search by part number, or by description which is what I did to get to the actual drawings...
* Search on Shoulder Bolts
* Shoulder Diameter 1/2"
* Shoulder Lengthe 1 1/2"
* Self Locking None
* Head Style Socket

#25 ·
gulfxray said:
Normally I wouldn't share embarrassing stuff like this, but I am on day 3 of a series of bad days....

1) Spent 2 days resurrecting my laptop - finally had to do a full reinstall of XP. Lost all My Documents, bookmarks, etc. I think I need a disaster recovery plan.
I bought a USB to IDE converter for about 10 bucks on ebay, I just plugged and old IDE drive (40Gbt) into a USB port on the PC and copy and paste my Docs to it every week or so. Very cheap but not so quick backups. You can buy more expensive options, but it works a treat.

#26 ·
gulfxray said:
Thanks Mark... I went though my local Lowe's and didn't see them... I'll swing by one more time...
Hey, Bud - you got Tractor Supply stores in your 'hood??? You would not believe the inventory of bolts/screws/nutz/fasteners those folks have - at least the store here in Boerne has a great supply. HTH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.