Down she goes! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 5:51 pm Thread Starter

Angry Down she goes!

Normally I wouldn't share embarrassing stuff like this, but I am on day 3 of a series of bad days....

1) Spent 2 days resurrecting my laptop - finally had to do a full reinstall of XP. Lost all My Documents, bookmarks, etc. I think I need a disaster recovery plan.

Now for the latest 'incident'.

2) Went to Hobby Lobby for more PineWood derby supplies - I hate to think what we have in that car. Anyways, as I pulled to the end of the parking aisle, i started a slow turn to the right. Apparently it was to slow and "Down she goes!". Fortunately a good samaritan was there before I could get up off the ground and helped me right the beast. Now for the bad news. Right side JPeg is really scraped and bolts appear bent, right side black bumper is scraped, and right side lower fairing is holed.

Since I lost my bookmarks, I don't recall the URL for the company that sells the JPegs so I can price repair parts. Also, if you know of a source, in addition to ebay, for tupperware, I'ld appreciate it.

PS - put in a new Odyssey battery Friday - piece of cake!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 6:09 pm

You can get the JPeg repair kit from Raffy at http://www.motogear4you.com/

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dave & John....

Just noticed the right saddle bag trim is buggered up also... What a weekend!

Things will be ok until SWMBO realizes I am not hurt

post #4 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Things will be ok until SWMBO realizes I am not hurt
How long do you have to wear the cast?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Lost all My Documents, bookmarks, etc. I think I need a disaster recovery plan.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/
post #6 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
How long do you have to wear the cast?
Good one David! I gimped around for a couple hours and took some Ibuprofen to complete the charade.... Only my pride was hurt...

It was another of those slow motion things -- I just didn't give her enough gas as I let out on the clutch and she started rolling then died... At least I knew enough not to jam out my leg and try and hold her....
post #7 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 9:07 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass
Thanks Dave -- I'll definitely look into it...
post #8 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:12 pm

bummer!

Glad you're okay!.. parts can be easily changed, on the bike.. not so easy on us.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 28 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:27 pm

Quote:
Good one David! I gimped around for a couple hours and took some Ibuprofen to complete the charade.... Only my pride was hurt...

It was another of those slow motion things -- I just didn't give her enough gas as I let out on the clutch and she started rolling then died... At least I knew enough not to jam out my leg and try and hold her....
I realized about .03 seconds into the drop that she was goin and my leg was about as sturdy as a toothpick under a cement truck.....i basically just stepped off.....
and as for pride being hurt--at least you had a valid reason--how do i tell others that my mind wandered??? hehe hell, it does that all the time......

Uhoh.....
post #10 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 11:13 am

Quote:
Thanks Dave -- I'll definitely look into it...
Shawn - I don't know which, the computer crash or the bike crash, are more of an issue for you right now, I've been both places, and neither is any fun.

But I can recommend Acronis True Image for total system backup, for when that issue gets to the top of your list. I've had several crashes in the past and lost data that was important to me. I decided to try to devise a system to prevent that happening again, to the extent possible. True Image makes a mirror image of your hard drive(s) that you can use to totally restore the drive, or just selectively explore an image you've made and restore single/multiple files from that image.

I run a new image about once a week, and keep the three latest ones on a different hard drive on my system. That way, if my C: drive goes south, I can simply install a new drive and restore my latest image on it and go on down the road. It's worked for me for the past couple of years. I've had to totally restore my C: drive at least once, maybe twice, and it's worked as advertised.

"gulfxray"? Would that be derived from an airplane N number, by chance?

Dave
post #11 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 12:18 pm

I use Symantic GHost to backup and reimage machines. I am in the business and it seems to work very well. I too have had many XP crashes and it pisses me off everytime. I finally decided to separate important data from the Operating system. I have three hard drives. 1 for the op sys, 1 for my pics and the third is a backup of all m pics. I am a photographer as well as computer guy. I am contemplating seeting up an array.

Good luck.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

My Blog

post #12 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lzyellodog
I use Symantic GHost to backup and reimage machines.
I used to use Symantec software, but haven't for several years now. Their product "activation" scheme is a pain, and apparently is problematic for many users, judging by the comments I see on Google "Groups". What I like about Acronis True Image is that it runs under Windows. Many other competing products require rebooting into a DOS-like environment before they can do their stuff.

I have 3 HDs too, BTW. One can never have too many hard drives.
post #13 of 28 Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 5:39 pm

You would figure that after over 100K on a bike (30K on the LT) one would be less-inclined to "fall over"! But, I made the same mistake on the BRP last year with two HD in tow (that's why we stopped-to wait for them) and as I re-entered the parkway, looked over my left shoulder and didn't have enough gas on the throttle and down she went, wife hanging on and all! Slow motion. Tried to hold her up (both of them) and luggage, almost worked!

Embarrassed no, was more upset that I bent the J-Peg bolt on the left side!

So, moral of the story, glad you are ok and it is a simple fix for the J-Peg bolt.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #14 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 10:39 am Thread Starter

If anyone is curious, here is what the hole the J-Peg will punch looks like...

I hate to be cheap, but what I think I am going to do is 'clean' the hole up a bit with the Dremel and not worry about replacing the lower fairing. By the time the J-Peg is back on, it is virtually invisible and it will save $95+.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P2110011.JPG
Views:	111
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	1938  
post #15 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:32 am

Quote:
If anyone is curious, here is what the hole the J-Peg will punch looks like...

I hate to be cheap, but what I think I am going to do is 'clean' the hole up a bit with the Dremel and not worry about replacing the lower fairing. By the time the J-Peg is back on, it is virtually invisible and it will save $95+.
Just tell anyone who looks that Number three cylinder was running 3.7 degrees hot, and after wind tunnel testing the added circulation solved it.

Or, your right inner ankle was getting cold.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #16 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:39 am Thread Starter

That's a good one David... I imagine my V-Twin buddies will buy it! ;-)
post #17 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 11:50 am

post #18 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 4:31 pm

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Shawn....You can fix that little hole yourself..
They make repair kits for the new plastic body panels... That's all you need..
You can use it to repair the scrapes too.. A little putty, A little sanding, A little paint and noone will ever know you did it...Back in the 80's I was working for Mosler ( in Tulsa actually ) and got to B'ville often, We had kits to repair the RIM that all the newer Remote Transaction System units were starting to be made from...If nothing else you can use Conley Weld or JB for that matter .. A little piece of screen behind the hole will hold the epoxy in place until it dries.. Used to fix a lot of airplane nose cones with Conley Weld...It's made in Tulsa.

Holler if'n you need some hep'.....

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #19 of 28 Old Feb 11th, 2006, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas John! WHere would I find those body panel repair kits? Think AUtozone or O'Reily's would carry 'em?

Be glad when it warms up so I make it OKC and see some fo you guys...
post #20 of 28 Old Feb 13th, 2006, 3:02 pm

Shawn,

How warm has it got to be ?

We've had 65 degree days about once a week, last weekend it got up to 70.

No iffin your talkin before the sun gets up, then that is understandable.

Iffin you said you wanted to wait until the wind got below 20mph, I could see that too.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #21 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 3:28 pm Thread Starter

Calling all you technical geniuses...

I have tried to look locally for the correct bolts to replce the 2 j-peg bolts that were bent during my little incident in January.

The variety of responses have been interesting, but sadly I've had no luck...

I was looking on McMaster-Carr and found this: # 90298A716 ...

The measurements look right to me, but I would like your opinion.

This is 18-8 Stainless Steel. They have a similar one from 316 Stainless Steel (97345A716).

Could I get by, safely, with the 18-8 bolt?

You can search by part number, or by description which is what I did to get to the actual drawings...
* Search on Shoulder Bolts
* Shoulder Diameter 1/2"
* Shoulder Lengthe 1 1/2"
* Self Locking None
* Head Style Socket
post #22 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 3:44 pm

I found them at Lowes in the bolt drawer. Zinc coated with a socket type head. works fine. They had a specific name but I cannot remember what. $4.00
post #23 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Mark... I went though my local Lowe's and didn't see them... I'll swing by one more time...
post #24 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 4:36 pm

They have shelves of specialty fasteners in the hardware section.They are in drawers.
post #25 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Normally I wouldn't share embarrassing stuff like this, but I am on day 3 of a series of bad days....

1) Spent 2 days resurrecting my laptop - finally had to do a full reinstall of XP. Lost all My Documents, bookmarks, etc. I think I need a disaster recovery plan.
I bought a USB to IDE converter for about 10 bucks on ebay, I just plugged and old IDE drive (40Gbt) into a USB port on the PC and copy and paste my Docs to it every week or so. Very cheap but not so quick backups. You can buy more expensive options, but it works a treat.

Rgds
Mike

"For those that know, no explanation is needed,
For those that don't, no explanation is possible."

2001 K12 LT Toscana Green AKA Baby Sh*t Green
Kawasaki EN500 - been sold on!
Hardtail Chopper ( Honda CB 500 engine) in a box still!
post #26 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 9:25 pm

Quote:
Thanks Mark... I went though my local Lowe's and didn't see them... I'll swing by one more time...
Hey, Bud - you got Tractor Supply stores in your 'hood??? You would not believe the inventory of bolts/screws/nutz/fasteners those folks have - at least the store here in Boerne has a great supply. HTH.
post #27 of 28 Old Feb 25th, 2006, 11:04 pm Thread Starter

Ahhhhh... I think there may be one or two around... I'll have to check them out...

Been to Lowes's twice today... Actually, I am didn't buy anything either time - a personal record.. ;-)
post #28 of 28 Old Feb 26th, 2006, 10:31 am
Super Moderator

Cool

gulfxray,

In response to your concern over 18-8 versus 316 stainless steels. A wide range of 18-8 Stainless steels are also referred to as 304. The only difference in your application between 304 and 316 is corrosion resistance - both essentially have the same tensile strength. Generally, 304 is made up of 18% chromium and 8% nickel while 316 is typically made up of 18% chromium and 11% nickel. Thus 316 stainless steels have a higher degree of corrosion tolerance or better said when subjected to a normal oxidising environment 316 can repair itself faster due to its higher concentration if nickel.

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in