03 LT ABS Pump turns on for no reason - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

03 LT ABS Pump turns on for no reason

The ABS self-diagnosis test successfully completes itself but after traveling a short distance the general warning light turns on solid and the ABS warning light flashes 4 times per second. You need not apply the brakes for this to occur. The brakes work fine but if you kill the engine with the emergency shut of switch you can hear the brake pump motor running. I have to turn the ignition switch off in order to get the brake pump motor to turn off.

Dealer was quick to say I needed a new ABS unit. $2200 + 600 to install. When asked what goes bad in the ABS unit I was told the computer says its bad and thats all we can tell you. That sure didn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling. Looking to see if anyone else has had issue with ABS Integral units. Bike is out of warranty because of age not mileage, 16,790 miles no help offered by BMW to help offset the bill. Not the type of repair I expected for a BMW even though its 5 years old. Could there be a simple solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 10:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: 03 LT ABS Pump turns on for no reason

It is very rare but not unheard of. In this case the fault means one circuit is in residual brake function. Most likely cause is a fault in the "brain". May be able to find one used from a wrecked bike and save a few bucks. You could persuade the dealer to perform a full system flush but I would not hold my breath in this solving your problem, unless this has never been done on this bike. Then it just might do it. I go with annual wheel circuit and every two to three years on the control circuits. I always get black fluid out of my wheel circuits.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
It is very rare but not unheard of. In this case the fault means one circuit is in residual brake function. Most likely cause is a fault in the "brain". May be able to find one used from a wrecked bike and save a few bucks. You could persuade the dealer to perform a full system flush but I would not hold my breath in this solving your problem, unless this has never been done on this bike. Then it just might do it. I go with annual wheel circuit and every two to three years on the control circuits. I always get black fluid out of my wheel circuits.
John: what are you referring to when you say "wheel circuit?"

Tnx, Reid

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:59 am

Cool Re: 03 LT ABS Pump turns on for no reason

My 05 was doing something like this.
There were no flashing warning lights, on the dash but the brake lights were staying on and the ABS pump was running. People following me thought I was riding the brake. What was finally discovered was there was spur forming on the part of the brake lever that was applying pressure on the brake sensor. There was also some play in the brake lever such that going over bumps would activate the brake lights and ABS pump. MAX tried cleaning it up, and it worked for a while, it finally needed to be replaced. Brake lever and sensor.

no problem since, and maybe for you it is something simple like this.

HTH

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:51 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
John: what are you referring to when you say "wheel circuit?"

Tnx, Reid
The reservoirs and pumps that flows fluid to the wheel calipers from the ABS unit on Integral Brake Systems (2001-up). This is separate from the control ciruit which is the front lever and rear brake pedal and thier reservoirs that input to the ABS unit. No fluid mixes between the two circuits.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #6 of 13 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 8:48 pm Thread Starter

When I took the bike to the dealer to diagnose the warning lights I asked him to flush the brake system as it was due for that service but they said there was no sense as their analyzer indicated the pump was defective and in their opinion flushing the system would not cure the problem. I also checked to see if the brake light was on at the same time as the pump but they were not. Thanks for the suggestion though, I will take another look at the front brake lever for any anomalies.

Last edited by jroth3; Apr 28th, 2009 at 9:04 pm.
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 2:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Here is a picture of the "brain". May save a few bucks if one of the wrecking yards has a unit as they are usually very reliable. The sets of leads go to the solenoids and the pump motors. Most likely one of the drive chips is fried and keeps the pump running.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Overview 1.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	22827   Click image for larger version

Name:	Electronics internal board 6.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	22828  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 13 Old May 1st, 2009, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

John,

Thanks for the pictures, can you just change the brain or do you have to change the whole pump assembly?
post #9 of 13 Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:04 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

No source of supply. All things are rebuildable, after all they were first built right? But that depends on the manufacturers repair philosophy. Are the parts available separately, is there documentation to perform the task, is there a desire to perform the service and is it affordable.

Obviously there was none of this though brought into this product. It costs a great deal more to place the individual parts into a cataloged supply system. I suspect due to the low numbers of these units (hundreds vs. millions) that it was determined to not be cost effective to make them "repairable" as there would only be less than 100 - 300 units to repair over the life of the product.

These were all most like built on an assembly line over a one year period, or less and the line was shut down once all production and spare quantities were produced. Thus full consumption of all the manufactured bits and pieces.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #10 of 13 Old May 5th, 2009, 10:19 pm Thread Starter

Do you know of anyone who decided to bypass the pump and tube directly from the hand and foot levers to the brake calipers. I know all the the benefits that would be lost, but I'm curious if its been done and how the bike stopped?
post #11 of 13 Old May 6th, 2009, 3:26 am

My '99 went years ago, still use the bike, no ABS. Not sure if you can do that with your year though. At some point they went over to an ABS that HAS to be be working.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #12 of 13 Old May 9th, 2009, 8:53 pm Thread Starter

I'm assuming the brakes on the 99 were power assisted and if so did you notice a big difference stopping without the power assist?
post #13 of 13 Old May 10th, 2009, 6:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroth3
I'm assuming the brakes on the 99 were power assisted and if so did you notice a big difference stopping without the power assist?
No more effort required to stop the bike with ABS II, than with. It just scares the bejesus out of you when the rear brake locks up instead of the ABS kicking in. DAMHIK.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in