Help - Still Sputtering - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:15 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Help - Still Sputtering

Before I get to the issue, a little history of how I got here. A week or so ago, out of nowhere, my 04 LT with just over 13K miles stalled at idle while warming up. On the 20 mile trip home, she stalled at every stop light as I decelerated. By the time I got home she no longer stalled but was running a little funny (can't really explain the symptoms). Fast forward to a few days ago, while cruising she was sort of sputtering, making a popping sound - almost backfiring. She was idling around 1000 rpm.

My initial thought was that it was a bad tank of gas, so I decided to let her idle and burn off the gas in the tank. After a few minutes I remembered reading various threads here regarding the "woosh" sound when opening the fuel tank. (Incidentally, I noticed there was water dripping from a tube at the back of the bike, which I later found out to be connected to the canister). Opened the tank, and sure as heck, she wooshed for about 4 -5 seconds. Using knowledge from the HOW I deduced that the tank vent line was not clogged, which left the canister.

After doing the canisterectomy last night (easy!), she was idling a little higher (about 1100 - 1200 rpm) but I still heard some popping in the exhaust. I completely removed the gas cap and started her back up and she continued to do the same (therefore I do not believe the issue to be a tank venting issue).

On the ride in this morning, I noticed that she ran a little better than she had for the past few days; not sputtering as bad, but it is still "popping" occasionally especially when I let off the throttle, so the problem did not go away completely. May have been my imagination, but I felt she ran poorer as she warmed up. Opened the gas cap when I arrived and did not hear a woosh.

About 400 miles ago, I did the 12k service myself (about 1k late) - fuel and air filters, spark plugs (torqued them in properly), and all of the fluids. She has run like a clock for those 400 miles, until about a week ago.

I'm still running the same tank of fuel so I have not completely ruled that out yet (I use this gas station almost exclusively for all my vehicles and have never had a problem).

What else could it be and why would it just come on like that?

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 1:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Red face Re: Help - Still Sputtering

Is it possible one of the spark plug wires is not on properly? Also, you should never have the woosh at the gas cap. So....there may still be some vent problem.
Just my .02

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #3 of 24 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 2:42 pm Thread Starter

Re: Help - Still Sputtering

No vacuum since I did the canisterectomy.

I'll be checking the plugs as soon as I can get the plastic off, but I don't think that's it. It's not misfiring that bad. But hey, you never know! Thanks.

Ray "Razman"

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist

post #4 of 24 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 6:48 pm

From everything you've said it still sounds like a fuel problem
I would try running some fuel injector cleaner through her,
if it works you'll know it in 10-20 miles.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 24 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 8:32 am Thread Starter

Thanks Hans. I thought about trying that as I was riding in this morning. I'll be heading to Pep Boys to pick some up.

Ray "Razman"

post #6 of 24 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by razman10
Thanks Hans. I thought about trying that as I was riding in this morning. I'll be heading to Pep Boys to pick some up.
I'm thinking that the ECM has "adjusted" for the clogged canister by pushing extra fuel that you now don't need any more - that is, you're running rich. It will probably correct itself over time, but you might want to consider disconnecting the battery for an hour, reset the TPS and try again. I'll bet it runs 100% better after resetting the ECM.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 24 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:29 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
From everything you've said it still sounds like a fuel problem
I would try running some fuel injector cleaner through her,
if it works you'll know it in 10-20 miles.
I'm at about 100 miles, still no change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
I'm thinking that the ECM has "adjusted" for the clogged canister by pushing extra fuel that you now don't need any more - that is, you're running rich. It will probably correct itself over time, but you might want to consider disconnecting the battery for an hour, reset the TPS and try again. I'll bet it runs 100% better after resetting the ECM.
Thanks Pete. I'll give it a try.

This is frustrating! She runs well at high RPM's; the only issue is when cruising between 2 - 3 thousand RPM's. Also noticed that she sputters more when running hot.

I'm almost ready to take her to the stealer, I mean dealer.

Ray "Razman"

post #8 of 24 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Ray
I don't know if this still applies with a 2004
but do a search for "brown wire"

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #9 of 24 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 9:12 am Thread Starter

It appears that the brown wire has already been clipped on my bike. There are two capped brown wires very close to eachother near the right side bike frame. They were like that when I bought the bike. I've always assumed that was the "magical brown wire" that had been cut.

Ray "Razman"

post #10 of 24 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 2:05 pm

Oxygen Sensor?
post #11 of 24 Old Apr 30th, 2009, 5:27 pm

How about the fuel regulator on the rail?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #12 of 24 Old May 1st, 2009, 9:24 am

I had a very similar problem with my bike. I turned out to be an intermittent ignition coil.
At first I too thought fuel problems. Everything checked , no fuel or pump problems. Finally went back to the ignition sysem and found the problem.

Here is what to do.
Get a good timing light, one with the inductive pickup. Place the pickup on a plug wire. Start the bike and watch the flash of the timing light. If the plug is firing the light will be flashing continually. If it is misfiring you will see the light flash in a ragged pattern. This will indicate either the plug is bad, the plug wire is bad, or the coil is bad. Do this on each plug wire. If you find one "stuttering" change the spark plug and see what happens.

Your problem seems to be when your riding, here is where you get to test your skills.

Hook up your timing light as normal but make up a power lead from the battery to power the timing light as you ride the bike. Make sure all the wires to the light are someway secured and tied up so they don't interfere with the operation of the bike. With the light connected to a plug wire take the bike out for a test ride. With the bike warm and up to speed where you experience the problem pull the trigger on the timing light and watch the flash pattern, again it should be very smooth. If is even a bit ragged you have a plug miss firing for some reason. Check each plug wire with this method.

Try it and see what happens.

Jim Woodring
Monroe (Fly Speck), Tennessee
2001 K1200LT Canyon Red
1988 K100LT Tobacco Brown
1976 R60/6 Red
1975 Norton Commando Black with oil spots
post #13 of 24 Old May 1st, 2009, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I'm going to call the dealer and make an appointment to bring her in. I have about 2 weeks left (12 days actually) left on the "Pre-Owned" warranty that the bike had when I bought it.

I'm just not going to go crazy trying to figure it out with a warranty remaining.

(If we were having this conversation next month, I'd be all over it. But for now, that's what the warranty is for.)

Ray "Razman"

post #14 of 24 Old May 1st, 2009, 12:55 pm

Have you tried the TPS reset, which can be done without disconnecting the battery and only takes 20 seconds to perform?

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #15 of 24 Old May 4th, 2009, 8:49 am Thread Starter

Yes, thanks for the suggestion though!

I've scoured these boards and tried just about every suggestion anyone has had for any problem similar to mine.

I have to say that she is running better than she was when this all started, but she's still not 100%. She's no longer "popping", just a slight sputter between 2000 & 3500 rpms.

The earliest I can get her in the dealer is May 19th - a week AFTER my warranty expires! Since they do not have an opening before the warranty expires, they put in their notes that they'd honor the warranty anyway. I'll report back when I finally bring her in.

Ray "Razman"

post #16 of 24 Old May 4th, 2009, 11:38 am

Don't rule out a dirty injector or injectors. I've had instances where an injector begins to foul...and the problem only manifests itself in a very narrow RPM range. In other words, the spray pattern coming out of the injector gets a bit lop-sided, the spray inconsistency can vary greatly depending on the pulse-width (load/RPM), which can mean that it affects one RPM range much more than others. Best of luck. Let us know how you get on with the dealer.

Regards,
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #17 of 24 Old May 4th, 2009, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

I bought a bottle of fuel system cleaner and ran it through (between two tanks full) and nothing.

I'll let you know what the dealer says.

Ray "Razman"

post #18 of 24 Old May 4th, 2009, 2:50 pm

Raz,
If mild backfire sounds like unburned fuel is getting into the exhaust. Be curious to see if it is fuel or spark issue. As some others have stated a partially plugged injector or a bad plug/wire would cause this and trying to determine which can be a PITA.

best of luck with the stealer

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #19 of 24 Old May 20th, 2009, 11:31 am Thread Starter

Just got off the phone with the service dept at the dealer. They could not recreate my problem (even though I "played" it for them when I dropped it off). He mentioned he could hear a hissing sound so he suspects a vacuum line could be off.

Would a vacuum line being off cause this issue I'm having?

Ray "Razman"

post #20 of 24 Old May 20th, 2009, 11:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Would a vacuum line being off cause this issue I'm having?

It certainly could as it most likely would impact only one cylinder, causing a lean mixture in that cylinder.

post #21 of 24 Old May 20th, 2009, 12:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks Dean.

The only How difficult is it to check the vacuum lines? How many are there?

Ray "Razman"

post #22 of 24 Old May 20th, 2009, 1:04 pm

never done this on beemer but 2 find vacum leak on cars i take a little propane tourch and attach a peice of rubber hose a couple ft long start up the car turn tourch on but dont light it wave it around all vacum lines if 1 is cracked or un hooked she will rev up good luck
post #23 of 24 Old May 20th, 2009, 2:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I don't know how many lines there are but getting the covers off and back on will likely be the big part of your bill if it is a vacuum leak. Fixing a popped off or split hose just takes a minute or two once it's found.

post #24 of 24 Old May 21st, 2009, 7:57 am Thread Starter

I'll be doing it myself.

Once I get the Tupperware off, will I need to take the fuel tank off?

Pardon my naivety, but are the throttle bodies accessible without taking apart the engine?

Ray "Razman"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in