Sticky front right caliper - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:20 am Thread Starter

Sticky front right caliper

My front right caliper is sticky which produces a rubbing sound and sometime (but not always) a burning smell. My front pads are pretty thin and due to replacement soon but I am wondering if putting brand new pads will not make the problem worse. Any suggestion in fixing this sticky caliper problem? Anyway that I can lubricate my caliper piston so it retracts more easily or do I really have to change the caliper?
Thanks

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:27 am

Re: Sticky front right caliper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpac
My front right caliper is sticky which produces a rubbing sound and sometime (but not always) a burning smell. My front pads are pretty thin and due to replacement soon but I am wondering if putting brand new pads will not make the problem worse. Any suggestion in fixing this sticky caliper problem? Anyway that I can lubricate my caliper piston so it retracts more easily or do I really have to change the caliper?
Thanks
Had a stiking rotor on my car...heat caused the lube to burn and wouldn't push the other side of the rotor away from the pad (this is a Lexus rotor) and had to disassemble it and clean out the gunk. Based on that experience I suspect you might need to do something similar if the problem is caused by something like that. Only a guess on my part.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:30 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpac
Thanks
Pull the caliper and remove the pads. Then remove the "pucks" (2 on each side) & clean the calipers with "brake clean". Next use a VERY fine sand paper (800 grit or finer) and clean the pucks. You can also use a scotch bright pad but clean lightly as it is more abrasive. Then put it back together. If it still sticks then you will need to rebuild the caliper.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:36 am Thread Starter

OK will try that Thanks

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:51 am

If you remove the pucks you will have to bleed the system. You can clean the pucks in situ if you are careful and do not push them all the way out you will expose enough to get at any exposed / dirty surfaces. Make sure the caliper surfaces that the pad can contact do not have any build up on them as that could also prevent the pad moving back.

Regards

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

I would suggest new piston seals as long as you have it apart. Since you'll need to bleed the system after the work you may as well do both sides at the same time. Many times a problem with one side means the other may not be far behind. A little extra effort and some caution are always good with brake systems since the job they perform is the most important one on the cycle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:06 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advises folks. I will replace the pads by the same token. My LT is a 99 model so no linked brake lines which is good news as far a bleeding the brakes. Any suggestion for the pads beside OEM? I found this http://www.beemerboneyard.com/cl2430sbk5.html
Are these good pads?

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:14 am

Looks like you got some very good advice on the rotor problem. The linked brakes wouldn't be a problem bleeding even on the newer LT's for the front brakes....it's the rear braking system that gets FAR more complicated. Good luck.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:23 pm

I had a similar problem, i replaced the callipers with reconditioned ones, it turned out to be that the pads were sticking, i had EBC replacements, the friction surface was bonded on slightly out of square, this combined with a bit of heat under heavy braking was causing things to tighten up/sieze, issue went when pads replaced, if you have a build up of crud it could cause the same issue, probably not this!!, but worth a check.
Regards
Stevie
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 7:05 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahamw
If you remove the pucks you will have to bleed the system. You can clean the pucks in situ if you are careful and do not push them all the way out you will expose enough to get at any exposed / dirty surfaces. Make sure the caliper surfaces that the pad can contact do not have any build up on them as that could also prevent the pad moving back.

Regards
No the pucks are between the pistons and the pads the just fall out ,no need to bleed the system unless you remove the pistons.

Stevie Shreeve
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:36 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
No the pucks are between the pistons and the pads the just fall out ,no need to bleed the system unless you remove the pistons.
Yep or you are cleaning them and you pop one out DAMHIK.
Use wood spacers to extend them out and clean them. It is a maintenance task I do every year to see the condition of things and clean the pucks.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #12 of 12 Old May 3rd, 2009, 8:46 pm Thread Starter

I removed both front calipers today and took the old pads out. I pressed the brake lever to get all brake pistons out to their almost max and cleaned the calipers and pistons with brake cleaner. I lubricated the sides of the pistons with some drops of ATF oil and pushed them completely back by using the old pads and a clamp. Put new pads on, put the calipers back and went for a short ride. The brakes worked like a charm. No more rubbing noise and no more sticky pads. I went for a 200 miles ride today and no problem anymore.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in