Reliability? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 2:24 pm Thread Starter

Reliability?

I have been wanting one of these for some time and planned to purchase one in the next 4 months or so, but after searching your great forum I am now scared off because of the fd failure and clutch and slave cylinder problems. Do these effect all years? Basically, talk me into one. Am I overreacting and the problems are fare and few between, or am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 2:34 pm
BMW Guru

Re: Reliability?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePower
I have been wanting one of these for some time and planned to purchase one in the next 4 months or so, but after searching your great forum I am now scared off because of the fd failure and clutch and slave cylinder problems. Do these effect all years? Basically, talk me into one. Am I overreacting and the problems are fare and few between, or am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs? Thanks

Bikes break, even BMW's. I've bought two used ones and I will buy another in a couple years.

If possible find a used on that has extended warranty on it and just ride it. There are lots of people here with well over 100k on their bikes, but they do require regular maintenance and occasional repair (what doesn't though)

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 2:37 pm

My 2003 LTE now has over 94K miles on it. It has been in the dealers shop 1 time for a reverse sensor under warranty.....it took them all of 15 minutes to change it. Other than that I have changed the springs out on the shocks for a total of about $300 and done regular maintenance, tire changes, and fluid changes myself.

I have had no clutch problems or leaks, no final drive problems, or any other significant problem. Everything works on the bike to this date.

I do think one key to success with these bikes is to ride them regularly....keep the seals exercised and the battery up.

I hope that helps you with your decision.

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Go to any bike specific forum and you'll find out all the uglies on that particular marquee. Any vehicle you're going to buy is going to have its share of failures. The LT is a relative small spectrum of the complete motorcycling world. You come here you're going to hear all the horror stories. There are folks on the site that haven't had any of the issues that you spoken of and some that had double ups on a failure. I know some folks on this site that spend $1400 a year just in tires. I've had two FD failures, two clutch replacements and a number of tire sets over the last 5 years and 90,000 miles. I've ridden some other bike brands and nothing speaks to me like the LT, especially when momma's on the back.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, I am still thinking of it. I don't want a Goldwing, and the only other Tour I would want is the Victory Vision Tour but only the 09+ model so that is about $10k more than a used LT. So, I would like more feedback. I agree about only hearing the negative, I have been on an Avalanche forum for 6 years and love my truck but you do hear rants about problems, almost all of which I have not had. Is there better years for reliability? I know the model differences but not reliability between the years. Seems the <05 may be the way to go, or is that not true? Thanks
post #6 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 3:37 pm

2005 LT Only in the shop once for the first owner for a fuel door latch replacement. I'm second owner; change fluids, tires, and on the second battery. That's at least as good as my automobiles. Spent $950 for timing belt and water pump on my Tundra; they're bullet proof or so I hear.

Just ride the bike and wear a big smile.

Bruce
post #7 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 3:50 pm

Yes.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #8 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 4:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
Yes.
Yes to which question? How about this bike? Is the price right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9976&viewitem=
post #9 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 5:40 pm

"...am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs?"

Yes.

Its a great bike, in my opinion. Its also maintanence intensive for many.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #10 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 6:34 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
"...am I going to spend $15k for a bike then $1.4k every year or so for repairs?"

Yes.

Its a great bike, in my opinion. Its also maintanence intensive for many.
I disagree on this one. 4 years ago I bought my 2000 Lt with 13,200 miles on it. It's been in the shop 1 time for a dead battery. I do ALL My own repairs. I work on my friends LT's with them. I go through 2 sets of tires every year to year and a half. at $350. per set. In 4 years I figure I've invested $2800.00 in tires , oil ,filters and such. Now farkels are a different matter. My guess would be over $5000.00 but that includes a Bushtec trailer, Rick Mayer seat and so on and so on.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by Steve_R; May 1st, 2009 at 6:24 am.
post #11 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:05 pm

If you are afraid to buy something because it might break, you best stay in bed. At least then all you have to worry about is the ceiling falling in on you.

Life is to short to waste time worring about things you can not control and a certain percentage of everything has issues. Maybe you will be one of the 96% with no Final Drive failures.

Test ride ALL the bikes that tweak your interest, buy the one that makes you smile.

If you can afford it, BMW's are the "Ultimate Driving/Riding Machines".
Lots of cheaper rides on the market, some are very nice but nothing on the market compares to the BMW's ride and safety features.

Buy used if on a budget (02 or newer, model year change in 05) and learn to do your own regular maintance.

If it breaks, fix it and ride on. It is worth every penny.

My 02 has 68K with no major problems. Been from coast to coast twice and would not hesitate to jump on and head for your place immediatly after posting this.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #12 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Not to worried about the model change, but why 02 or newer. I'm a good 6'3 195lbs so I should be able to handle the bike.
post #13 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Super Moderator

If you want the bike, buy it. If you're going to be scared because something "Might" happen to a device with more than one moving part sell everything you own except your rocks and hammers and move into a cave.

Follow your passion and ignore whining on Internet forums!!!!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #14 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:23 pm

Welcome PrimePower,

I had all the same worries as you concerning the LT. I did a lot of research and will admit that I has some trepidations about buying this model. But the lust of her beauty, performance and passion convinced me to take the jump. Bought an 01' w/ 53,000 from an older gentleman who had 3 other BMW's. They were all meticulously cared for by him and I was very comfortable with his level of maintenance expertise and the overall sale process.
So far all my fears have melted away. This is the finest bike I have ever ridden, hands down. The maintenance gremlins may rear thier ugly heads down the road, but for the time being, I am in MC heaven!

My advice: Buy it, Ride it, Enjoy it!
post #15 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:58 pm Thread Starter

Thats good to hear. I believe I will get one still, just timing is important. I am a Marine Engineering Officer in the Army and am moving to Williamsburg VA in June. So I would have to trailer it out there. I think for now unless it is a deal of a lifetime, I will wait till I get out there and maybe in a house, if I can wait.

On the maintenance, I can definitely work on vehicles, just don't want to be doing it all the time nor get stranded. My son got one of those chinese atv's for Christmas and I was working on it all week, well into the mornings just to get it to start for him on Christmas. I have it running strong now, but man what a pain. And it was new.
post #16 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 8:18 pm

Quote:
Thats good to hear. I believe I will get one still, just timing is important. I am a Marine Engineering Officer in the Army and am moving to Williamsburg VA in June. So I would have to trailer it out there. I think for now unless it is a deal of a lifetime, I will wait till I get out there and maybe in a house, if I can wait.

On the maintenance, I can definitely work on vehicles, just don't want to be doing it all the time nor get stranded. My son got one of those chinese atv's for Christmas and I was working on it all week, well into the mornings just to get it to start for him on Christmas. I have it running strong now, but man what a pain. And it was new.

Why would you possibly trailer it to VA. That would be a great ride in June.
post #17 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 8:28 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

If you got a nice buy lined up and it checks out, do it. Find someone in the area to look at it with you if you can.

Yep could break, then again not.

I paid 22,000.00 cash for a new 07 and then really started into the reading on this forum.

I probably suffered the biggest case of buyers remorse you could imagine.

15,000 miles later and nothing broke so far.

It had taken me a bit of time to love the bike, but I cant imagine ever being without it now.

I went out today in 90 degrees and carved a little valley up that has just been repaved. Fishing Creek Valley. Anyway turned the Hyper Pro shocks a bit tight and blasted it. Man she just gets a rhythm in turns and while I am not laying sparks, I am doing a 45 MPH valley road at 60-75, and I am really comfortable doing it on this beastly. I been doing a lot of RPM riding just trying to stay up in the 4 to 6 grand, in a gear that fits the road, with the least amount of braking for control, and just lean it around a bit. What a blast.

Anyway love the bike no question.

Believe me, I did not feel that way during my above mentioned buyers remorse.

Buy what ya want, ride it, and if it breaks, someone here will help you get it right if they possibly can.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #18 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 8:37 pm Thread Starter

I would have to trailer it, my truck will pull my camper. So my wife driving my car would have to trailer this. I have the trailer, and plenty of power just tying one of those down for 1200 miles doesn't sit well. If it fell, that would be terrible.
post #19 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 9:24 pm

First of all, welcome to Tidewater-you will do just fine down here. The two BMW dealerships close to you are Adventure BMW in Chesapeake, and Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg. Both are very well respected and have good connections for used bikes. There is a decent supply of LTs in Virginia-and northern North Carolina has a fair amount too. I would probably wait and see first if you can get a deal from Adventure on a used LT that they can do an extended warranty on for certified status-look me up when you are ready to ride!

Ben Cohen
VA Tags BMW LT
2002 K1200LT in black and Chrome
post #20 of 56 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Quote:
I would have to trailer it, my truck will pull my camper. So my wife driving my car would have to trailer this. I have the trailer, and plenty of power just tying one of those down for 1200 miles doesn't sit well. If it fell, that would be terrible.

There is a description on strapping the LT in the Forum. The chock is critical and the front is tethered by the front forks - NOT THE HANDLE BARS. Read the how to. I strapped mine in a small 8' trailer pulled by a Wrangler last month for a 1600 mile trip from MA to FL - no issues.
post #21 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:54 am

OMG, I just ran the "five and dime" yesterday, and the day before.... When you get to Williamsburg let me know. I'm up in the Prince George area near Jordan Point (it's one of the crossing points on the James River between Rte. 5 and Rte. 10 - hence the "five and dime"). The Williamsburg crossing point is more fun on the Jamestown Ferry. I've been looking for some BMW riding buddies. I meet hundreds of HD's on the ferry but very few BMW's or LT's for that matter.

I found an '05 in CA last year that I was going to purchase, but I was scared away as the owner showed how well the bike was maintained by bringing it to the local dealer and paying exorbitant amounts of money. After researching a little, I found that many people change their own fluids and perform some minor repairs. I ended up buying a nearly new '02 with 1600 miles on it last fall. I fixed the sticky throttle cable with some grease and changed the fluids. I'm about to take apart the shift linkage to look at the lubrication due to some hard shifts into second when the bike is cold, but I haven't had any major issues in the 7000 miles that I have logged. I'm coming up on a tire change and I've found a local motorcycle shop that will mount new tires for only $25. I am completely happy with my decision to buy the LT. The entire family enjoys riding on it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmCUcLbDoo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUfecMqJopE

I wish the quality was better. This is Rte. 5 from Williamsburg to Jordan Point. YouTube pixelates my accelerated videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEh2iODyzXk

By the way, the seagulls at the ferry dock were targeting my bike this weekend. I was able to dodge the first assault, but I simply had to throw my body into the line of fire on the second pass in order to save the bike. The ferry had a restroom that I used to clean up.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
post #22 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 10:07 am

If you want to feel good about your bike...don't read the forums

Product forums are a great way to get information about things, but always read them with the knowledge that people are just more likely to post when something goes wrong as it's kind of boring to wirite a post describing how nothing is new or different with your bike and it is running fine.

I bought my '01 a bit less than 3 years ago and my cost of repairs since that time has been $0. There has been routine maintenance and a front tire and brake pad replacement but it runs perfectly, leaks no fluid and looks great. I would take it anywhere at any time with no hesitation.

I firmly believe that a used LT is one of the best buys in all of motorcycling.

post #23 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Sounds great, maybe you can show me some good riding places. I am going to try to wait till I get over there before I purchase. Unless I find a steal. I am debating now just how much to spend. I.E. $15k for an 05 or 06, or around $9k for <03. $6k is a lot of goodies for the house, don't know if better stability at lower speeds and a digital cluster is worth $6k. Any opinions on that? Can't wait to officially be apart of the club. Thanks
post #24 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 11:18 am

I have a 2000 LT with about 85,000 miles on it. It is still on original clutch, had one bearing replaced in final drive, a two hour job, Otherwise, it is routine maintenance, oil as per BMW recommendation of 6,000 miles, and Metzler tires.
post #25 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 11:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht

By the way, the seagulls at the ferry dock were targeting my bike this weekend. I was able to dodge the first assault, but I simply had to throw my body into the line of fire on the second pass in order to save the bike. The ferry had a restroom that I used to clean up.
I don't hate anybody, but I hate seagulls. Nasty s**t bird. Seagulls developed smart bombs way before the military. Too back we can't shoot some of them. There aren't any PETA people in here are they?

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #26 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Go to any bike specific forum and you'll find out all the uglies on that particular marquee. Any vehicle you're going to buy is going to have its share of failures. The LT is a relative small spectrum of the complete motorcycling world. You come here you're going to hear all the horror stories.........
Actually there are several mode specific forums where the biggest complaint or problem is something mundane like curing wind buffering, which grade gas to use, whether to use synthetic oils, what brand tires use, to ABS or not, Stabil or Seafoam, or installing aftermarket gear. Maintenance issues in such forms are abnormal and is specific to that bike, not the model. Horry stories usually mean somebody crashed his bike. In such forums one could go through dozens of pages of posts before an issue shows up. Here, not a single page where several issues arises. And usually the same issues.
post #27 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Know I said I would wait, but found an 05 grey with 21k miles for $11.5k. Supposed to be great condition. My ?'s are would this fit on a 5x8 trailer and does the price sound fine. Might buy it this weekend if so. Thanks
post #28 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 1:57 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razmataz
There aren't any PETA people in here are they?
You mean People Eat Tasty Animals. I'm here!

Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #29 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Quote:
Yes to which question? How about this bike? Is the price right?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...9976&viewitem=
Looks like a nice bike but I wouldn't pay his Buy it now price. The current bid of $7700 is a bit high sight unseen.

Hey, you are thinking about buying a house in Williamsburg. I'm a Realtor and sell in Williamsburg. If you don't have a active relationship with an agent I'd like to talk with you.
If you do, call me anyway and I will introduce you to some good riding groups and the local BMW club.

Bob Chapman
RE/MAX Select
757 897-9790 cell/vm

(I know, this is a shameless commercial solicitation but I do ride a K1200LT anyway)

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #30 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
Looks like a nice bike but I wouldn't pay his Buy it now price. The current bid of $7700 is a bit high sight unseen.

Hey, you are thinking about buying a house in Williamsburg. I'm a Realtor and sell in Williamsburg. If you don't have a active relationship with an agent I'd like to talk with you.
If you do, call me anyway and I will introduce you to some good riding groups and the local BMW club.

Bob Chapman
RE/MAX Select
757 897-9790 cell/vm

(I know, this is a shameless commercial solicitation but I do ride a K1200LT anyway)
Guess I should have got on this club about a month ago. I already have a realtor, I used USAA's movers advantage already. Otherwise I'd like to help you out. Do you think $11.5k for an 05 is a good deal or could I get just as good of deal out there. I don't know how many are out in Virginia and it seems there are more here in the midwest. I would just hate to miss a good deal and get out there and have to pay more. Thanks
post #31 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 2:31 pm

Quote:
Know I said I would wait, but found an 05 grey with 21k miles for $11.5k. Supposed to be great condition. My ?'s are would this fit on a 5x8 trailer and does the price sound fine. Might buy it this weekend if so. Thanks
I can't help with the trailer question, but I think you're right on the money here. I bought an 04 with a few extra farkles & 8500 miles last year for 12,5K.

Good luck, and welcome!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #32 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 3:55 pm

WHat you have read above is pretty much the truth.. Get to know the bike, do you own maintainance...

I found out this problem that never ceases to surprise me.. Its when I lean the big girl into a curve and have my feet kicked up the sides of the tupperware.. THis phenomon occurs during heated weather, sometimes cool weather, but usually in a curve.

I, for one have NOT attempted to cure this situation. It brings great big SMiley faces around from me and sometimes from the guys I ride with....
I Lost close to an 1/8" on the foot pegs.. WHats hard is finding the next pair of boots,,,,......

GOsh this has been one PHUN bike.

Going from the Jap bikes I have had to this one is like going from a 727 jet to the space shuttle... Yeh its got alot of parts... SOmethimes it fails, But always takers to go on her.

I jumped at mine for the price and from reading here... also the ride back home..

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #33 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 6:55 pm

Quote:
You will need to fabricate a chock (no big deal), figure out hoe to secure it to the floor, design an easy way to keep the rear wheel from slipping side to side (2 blocks skrewed into the deck works, and off you go.
post #34 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:13 pm Thread Starter

I've got the chock. Will do on the rest. I found a pdf on the web from bmw on how to trailer this thing. Right now I am leaning yes on the bike but will sleep on it for a couple of days. If still yes by wednesday night I'll officially be apart or your club on saturday.
post #35 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:50 pm
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Sleep on it is a good Idea for sure.

See what it looks like and how you feel about it when you see it.

It sounds fair to me if well kept.

I mean with a trailer already going that way so whats a little LT on the back

If it don't blow your skirt up, then wait until you get settled in, and go after another with the trailer.

The trailering tie down is covered a bunch but four soft ties, and four ratchet straps. Make a I_I for the front tire out of 2x4, sides for the rear tire, and screw them down on the deck, soft ties around front forks under brake cable, rear under the bags. Slightly compress the front and rear shocks with the straps. Side to side on the rears, and slightly forward on the front compressing the forks slightly while compressing the front tire into that I_I. If you can tie the front wheel off to a forward low rail that will help. No center stand or side stand stuff. and don't compress the suspension out of the suspension, it just needs compressed a bit. You will need two to tie it off, one to straddle and hold it upright and one to get the tie downs taunt.

Have fun and hope it does call your name when you see it.

Quote:
I've got the chock. Will do on the rest. I found a pdf on the web from bmw on how to trailer this thing. Right now I am leaning yes on the bike but will sleep on it for a couple of days. If still yes by wednesday night I'll officially be apart or your club on saturday.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #36 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Sounds great, maybe you can show me some good riding places. I am going to try to wait till I get over there before I purchase. Unless I find a steal. I am debating now just how much to spend. I.E. $15k for an 05 or 06, or around $9k for <03. $6k is a lot of goodies for the house, don't know if better stability at lower speeds and a digital cluster is worth $6k. Any opinions on that? Can't wait to officially be apart of the club. Thanks
Well, you get a little more than a digital cluster if you go 05>. The engine is more powerful from 05, you also get a power center stand. I believe HID headlights became standard on the 06. I think the central locking & anti-theft system might have started with the 05> models as well. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As far as stability goes, my dealer gave me a loaner that was an 03-04 & I thought it handled a little easier at slow speeds than my 06. But watching called Ride Like A Pro, ( and practicing techniques therein) has helped my low speed manuvers better than anything.

I absolutely love the LT. I like it more every time I ride it. I've never owned a machine that still gives me thrills 3 years after purchase, but this one does. And I'm no where near approaching the limits of what it is capable of.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #37 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

You guys have been more than helpfull. Hopefully some day I will add to the site. Thanks
post #38 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:35 pm

I have a 99 that now has 140k on it, most of those miles are from the previous owner who said he never had any issues with the bike and he owned it since new and never replaced anything except normal maintenance items like tires, brakes, etc and I am doing a 24k service on it now that has not been done for the last 40k and I replaced the slave cylinder to the clutch as a preemptive measure and I also have a few buckets that need changed on the valves but other than that everything looks good.

85 k100RS
99 champagne LT
99 basalt LT (totaled)
80 FXWG owned since new
71 Moto Guzzi (sold)
72 Yamaha (sold)
69 Yamaha (sold)
post #39 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:29 pm

You asked us to talk you into it. Did anyone mention: go for a test ride? That should be sufficient.

I bought my '05 LT new 3 1/2 years ago. It has 72k miles on it. I've had the clutch replaced twice (once under warranty, once not), and had the reverse sensor replaced (warranty). The other expenses have been scheduled maintenance and farkles.

If you let the dealer do all your expenses and if you ride it a ton you MIGHT spend $1400/year in maintenance, but if you have any ability at all you can do the scheduled maintenance yourself for much, much less. (this, coming from someone with minimal ability but a desire to learn)

As others have said, you will hear a lot of discussion regarding clutch, slave cylinder, and final drive on this site. Much of it is historical, some of it is current, but by no means do more than a small percentage of owners experience these problems. (no, I don't have any numbers to back that up)

What you will ALSO read here is what a supremely-performing touring platform the K1200LT is.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #40 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellenbenz
My 2003 LTE now has over 94K miles on it. It has been in the dealers shop 1 time for a reverse sensor under warranty.....it took them all of 15 minutes to change it. Other than that I have changed the springs out on the shocks for a total of about $300 and done regular maintenance, tire changes, and fluid changes myself.

I have had no clutch problems or leaks, no final drive problems, or any other significant problem. Everything works on the bike to this date.

I do think one key to success with these bikes is to ride them regularly....keep the seals exercised and the battery up.

I hope that helps you with your decision.

Ron
Ron

Where did you get spring and shocks for $300.00 ?
Thinking I need to get me a new set this year. !

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well Itís not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldnít of happened."
post #41 of 56 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 9:45 pm

You ask a very legitimate question, and honestly, if I had really researched the K1200LT before I bought it, and really read a lot of these threads, I might not have bought the best bike I have ever owned!

Long story short, I took the K1200LT for about 30 minute test ride, after a similar test on the Honda Gold Wing, and the decision was made. I had no idea of possible problems, wasn't aware of the ABS brakes or any number of pluses or quirks, I just simply fell in love with the looks and the ride.

40,000 miles, lots of new friends, incredible help with any bike question and no problems, just the best bike I've ever owned.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #42 of 56 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:20 am

42,000 miles on my Y2K, throttle cables, starter relay, and pinion seal all covered under warranty. 72,000 miles on my 03, rear rotor replaced with EBC. Metzlers front and rear, maintenance per BMW schedule.

Jim in GA

post #43 of 56 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 5:18 pm Thread Starter

Well, couldn't wait. I pulled the trigger. 05 LT, 21K miles. Only option is a Corbin heated seat. I don't believe it has the alarm. I will be picking it up on Saturday, so a first day 3 hour ride should let me know how much I like it. Here is the link: http://www.bobzbikz.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=699156

First mod will be the hook up for my zune. Anyone have a link for what I need to do. I looked but haven't fully figured out your site yet. I will though. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	325_699156_16fa6493-f672-4bc9-a4d6-9126460d0e0b.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	22823   Click image for larger version

Name:	699156_fe306ec2-3bb4-4d33-9da1-c5df5ba9a1d6.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	22824  
post #44 of 56 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 5:29 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Looks beautiful.
Well done !!
Enjoy the ride ..... and watch out for women in cars .. they DO NOT see you.
Keir
post #45 of 56 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Congratulations.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #46 of 56 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:12 pm

Quote:
Don't do it. look for something else more reliable unless you like to work on bikes. my bike is still in shop after 4 1/2 weeks for new clutch on a 24,000 mile bike and will be $2100 later. that is after last year replacing break lines for $600 and new throttle cable for $500. i bought bike with 18,000 miles after guy had a 18,000 mile service done on it.
buy something more reliable.
don't listen to people who say all makes have service centers. honda cars have service center but mostly to do maintainace on them and not fix them all the time. i have a 2002 if you want to know.

Last edited by dodk64; Apr 28th, 2009 at 9:24 pm.
post #47 of 56 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkclark
Looks beautiful.
Well done !!
Enjoy the ride ..... and watch out for women in cars .. they DO NOT see you.
Keir

But once they do see you, they want you! Well...at least a few of them would like to go for a ride.
post #48 of 56 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:31 am Thread Starter

Will this work to hook up my zune if I take out the CD changer?

https://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/B...-p-1-c-82.html

Been searching the hall of wisdom but did not see the right adapter, just hot to manufacture one. Surely there is an adapter available by now.
post #49 of 56 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:05 am

Quote:
Well, couldn't wait. I pulled the trigger. 05 LT, 21K miles. Only option is a Corbin heated seat. I don't believe it has the alarm. I will be picking it up on Saturday, so a first day 3 hour ride should let me know how much I like it. Here is the link: http://www.bobzbikz.com/webtemplate.aspx?iid=699156

First mod will be the hook up for my zune. Anyone have a link for what I need to do. I looked but haven't fully figured out your site yet. I will though. Thanks
Congratulations, that is the fastest color you know. I thought all '05's had alarms. Be sure to ask them for the remote fob if true (I heard that new owners got two remotes). Also get the alarm code to override the fob. My only warranty repair was a failed alarm module and required towing to dealer. Much better to have been able to disable the alarm (I was second owner and didn't have the code)

Bruce
post #50 of 56 Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:20 am

Congrats. Nice looking seat also. You will love it.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in