Coolant Change Success w/o Tank Removal - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 1:29 pm Thread Starter

Coolant Change Success w/o Tank Removal

I tried the method for coolant change w/o removing the tank and it was remarkably easy. I got a one quart funnell with a couple feet of hose attached....added more hose, zip tied the funnell to a ladder for height and gravity fed in the coolant. The additional clear plastic hose was very flexible and easily worked into the filler hole on the radiator. I thought getting the cap back back on in the somewhat cramped space would be difficult, but it wasn't hard at all. I did remove the front spoiler which made the draining process easier...just a few minutes to do that saved a lot of hassle and probably some mess. Thanks to those who posted those instructions!

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 2:44 pm

Re: Coolant Change Success w/o Tank Removal

Could you also tell us-how you drained the system?
Thanks
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 4:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I tried the method for coolant change w/o removing the tank and it was remarkably easy. ...
I did a search and couldn't find the method you reference. Can you include a link to it?

Thanks

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 4:16 pm

Draining is the easy part. Remove the center engine spoiler (behind the front wheel) to gain access to the lower radiator hose. Unscrew the hose clamp, pull off the hose and drain the coolant. Put the hose back on and re-clamp.

Jeff

2006 K1200LT, Metallic Blue
post #5 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 8:37 am

Does anyone have a link to the instructions referenced below for replacing coolant without removing the tank? I wanted to do perform this maintenance this weekend but I can't find this information. Thanks in advance.

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 9:36 am

Also would like a link.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 24th, 2009, 10:21 am

Not sure which tank folks are talking about here (the fuel tank or the coolant expansion/overflow/reservoir tank). Either way, I've never removed either tank for coolant changes.
  1. Remove lower/center spoiler(tupperware).
  2. Remove radiator cap
  3. Place drain pan underneath bike, unplug the water pump temperature sensor wire, and remove the temp sensor.
  4. Allow all coolant to drain.
  5. Once drained, loosen clamp and remove the small overflow hose from the radiator neck, and then drain the expansion tank. If the tank doesn't start draining (siphon won't start), then simply blow into the expansion tank (tank cap has nipple that makes this easy...mmmm, tastes great!!).
  6. Once everything is drained, you might want to flush the expansion tank once or twice (use only distilled water) if there is any debris or scale in the tank.
  7. Replace temp sensor (torque to 9Nm)
  8. Replace the vent hose on the nipple of the radiator neck and tighten clamp.
  9. Fill system with 50:50 mixture of coolant/distilled water. Use only coolant that is nitrite free, long-term, w/ corrosion inhibitor. To fill the system, I use a funnel with a rubber hose attached. I snake the hose down through the opening between the black plastic part (i.e. - front speaker housing), and the silver plastic part that swivels when you steer. Go slow...and keep and eye on the level as you fill. Another thing that helps is to knead the lower hose (between your thumb and fore finger) to purge large air bubbles.
  10. Once the radiator/engine is filled, now fill the expansion tank to the proper level.
  11. Over the next few days, the entrapped air bubbles will work their way to the top, and be vented through the expansion tank. This air will then be displaced by coolant, so the level in the expansion tank will go down. Just keep an eye on the level in the tank over the next few days/rides...and top off as necessary (with the 50:50 mixture).
Piece of cake....
Have fun, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #8 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2009, 9:17 am

My bike ran hot after the change. I went back and massaged the hoses and filled the radiator. While the cap was loose, I overfilled the resovoir and blew into the nipple until it came out at the radiator. Then I tightened the radiator cap and topped off the resovoir tank. Problem solved............

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in