Another Trouble Starting Thread - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 8:43 am Thread Starter

Another Trouble Starting Thread

Okay, I searched the other threads on "trouble starting" and not found the same set of circumstances I am facing. Maybe some of you might have a few ideas for me, thanks ahead of time!

All seems normal at first. I turn the key on and the headlight comes on, the dash lights are all light nicely, the fuel pump starts in the gas tank (and stops, per usual). With me in the saddle, sidestand up, bike in neutral, ignition on, kill switch off, clutch lever in fully, I press the starter button. The motor just turns very slowly, not enough to start the bike.

The bike had not been ridden for a long time. I put the charger on it periodically, I don't leave it on full-time as some do. I've ridden only a few times so far this year and the bike was starting normally. Suddenly the bike won't turn over fast enough to start. Initially I thought it was the battery and put it back on the charger. It took a charge, went to full and I removed the charger. No love, I could only start the bike by push starting it. Until I saw the voltage drop this morning I didn't think it was the battery.

A few tidbits:
1) Bike is in neutral,

2) Sidestand can be up or down,

3) Can hear pump in gas tank when first turning ignition switch on,

4) Push start with bike in second gear, always starts right up,

5) Ride and performs fine after push starting,

6) Have been riding with only the high beam headlight for a short while, the low beam is burned out and awaiting an HID replacement,

7) The ABS lights usually go off soon after I start up and take off. On the last few rides they do not reset and remain flashing as I ride.

8) I checked the voltage on the battery.
~ Soon after coming off the charger, 12.8 v
~ Yesterday, two days after last ride and sitting in garage the whole while, 12.8 v
~ This morning, 12.5 v
~ While attempting to start and engine barely turning, varies wildly between 5-7 v

Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks again!

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 9:32 am

Re: Another Trouble Starting Thread

sounds like bad battery. have you load tested it? does the starter work ok when you try to jump start it? have you checked the charging system volts?
if it will jump start ok the problem is probably low batt. volts. could be caused by bad batt. or weak charging system.
hope this helps, john
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 9:48 am

Just for grins...............check and clean the battery connections.............it really doesn't take mush to slow things up.............I use a little 'di-electric' grease on mine as well.......................

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 10:00 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
While attempting to start and engine barely turning, varies wildly between 5-7 v
While I have not measured battery voltage during starting, 5-7 volts and a slow starter sound to me like a 'weak' battery that has too much internal resistance, from an accumulation of 'stuff' on the plates due to age and cycles.

Summary - old, weak battery.

Try cleaning the terminals, but my $0.02 bet is the battery itself.
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 12:32 pm Thread Starter

Thanks all! Will try your suggestions and report back what I find!

Peter Tessin
2002 Champagne

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in