Ever rebuild your clutch master cylinder? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:00 am Thread Starter

Ever rebuild your clutch master cylinder?

I've been having trouble downshifting. I've serviced the linkage (it needed it), changed the tranny oil (only had 10k miles on it), and bled the clutch using the Paul Sayegh method. Still, no joy.

My clutch master cylinder has been making a kind of soft clicking noise, that is different from the small switch click sound you hear on the brakes. I dont hear it on other bikes with hydraulic clutches.

Yesterday morning, I bled the clutch again & accidently sucked in air thru the master cylinder. Oh man, dont ever do that -- because per the manual, you then have to bleed the master cylinder upstream of the rest of the system, and then bleed as normal. Pull off switches, pull off covers, rotate the cylinder to access the banjo bolt... a real PITA! And I had to do it three times to get it somewhat right. And now, its noiser than ever. In my gut, I think the seals in the piston are gone.

BMW makes a rebuild kit that costs $75. A whole new master cylinder housing is $450. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 5:42 pm Thread Starter

Re: Ever rebuild your clutch master cylinder?

I'm very suprised no one has done this!

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:19 pm

Probably because no one has had one go bad. In the many years I have been on the LT groups, I have not heard of one needing service.

About the only way one could tell if it needs rebuilding is to hold the clutch in and see if it leaks down over time, or fluid starts to leak out of the handlebar assembly. If you start the bike, pull the clutch in, put it in gear and hold the clutch in for a few minutes and the clutch does not start to engage, the master is OK. Even if the clutch does start to engage, it is more likely the slave cylinder failing, as that is WAY too common.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 7:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

What would be nice is , ... if you could put the guts ( seals ,..etc.. ) for a R1200GS in the master cyl. . Then put a slave cyl. for a GS on the transmission . This way you could us mineral oil in it . That would make life safer for the slave cylinder's seals ....& maybe the clutch too...

Just a thought

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 27th, 2009, 11:39 pm

I haven't had a reason to do this on my LT but I have used the rebuild kits on other bikes. It works fine if the cylinder is in good shape.
post #6 of 10 Old May 1st, 2009, 6:13 am Thread Starter

I'll be in my dealer's neighborhood later today, so I'll pick up the kit. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #7 of 10 Old May 1st, 2009, 6:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
I'll be in my dealer's neighborhood later today, so I'll pick up the kit. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

Ruining a perfectly good master cylinder?

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 10 Old May 2nd, 2009, 6:42 am Thread Starter

Nah, but I have been known to bugger up things royally in my past...

:-)

I stopped by the dealer yesterday though, and bumped into the service manager as I was comparing the clutch feel of a LT on the floor to mine. What a great guy! Nice to talk to someone who is a pro.

Anyway, I told him my story & he feels I don't need a rebuild. He suspects air & possibly the slave cylinder. He offered a suggestion on bleeding the master cylinder & I'm in progress with that now. And boy, I still have a lot of air in that thing...

2005 Kawasaki Z750S
1999 BMW K1200LT
1972 Honda CL350

BMWMOA # 139202
post #9 of 10 Old Mar 20th, 2011, 9:57 pm

The clutch might be working normally but you might start to see some DOT4 fluid drips below on the bike. I first thought I had dripped some gas. Look at the underside of the clutch lever housing to see if it's' "wet".

You will need a manual to figure out how to get all the switch controls off. Mark the location of the clutch housing on the handlebars.

You can do the clutch master rebuild on the bike. I found you can slide the heated grip back far enough (wire length) to access the necessary screws and then pull the piston out.

There are 2 very small springs in the clutch lever handle you will need to watch for when the handle is removed.

I took most of the fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe. Cover your bike below the clutch master cylinder with plastic. Don't squeeze the clutch lever with the reservoir cover off or it will squirt the windscreen and other areas with brake fluid. You can place a quarter over the ports in the reservoir when you start the bleeding process. (thanks to previous post)

Follow the clutch bleed procedures when you are back together.

beemerboneyard.com sells a clutch master cylinder rebuild kit for $44.95 under "new parts". This must be a common problem or BBY wouldn't sell it. My bike is a '99 K1200LT. Just did this.

Have fun.

Last edited by av8trto; Mar 20th, 2011 at 10:46 pm.
post #10 of 10 Old Mar 21st, 2011, 8:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverhair
Nah, but I have been known to bugger up things royally in my past...

:-)

I stopped by the dealer yesterday though, and bumped into the service manager as I was comparing the clutch feel of a LT on the floor to mine. What a great guy! Nice to talk to someone who is a pro.

Anyway, I told him my story & he feels I don't need a rebuild. He suspects air & possibly the slave cylinder. He offered a suggestion on bleeding the master cylinder & I'm in progress with that now. And boy, I still have a lot of air in that thing...
Please share the suggestions. Particularly if they work! :-)

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in