Fuel filter replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 5:59 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs down Fuel filter replacement

Is it possible for me to change the fuel filter myself on my 2002 K1200lt or is it a job that can only be done by the dealer.
Brian King UK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:33 pm

That's going to depend on your mechanical abilities, and your propensity for keeping a lot of parts in order.

It's not impossible to do, but you have to drain and remove the tank to get at the fuel filter. I did mine, and there's really not anything hard about it, it just takes a lot of time to get to the filter. If you're going to have the bike a part for service anyway, its not a lot of extra effort. May take you another 45 min - 1 hour depending on how long it takes to drain the tank.

Bill B.

2000 K1200LTC - Mighty Matilda
2003 KLR650

There are 3 kinds of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:34 pm

Smile Fuel Filter

Sure can - get the appropriate Sayegh video and you'll see that it's not rocket science.

post #4 of 8 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:38 pm

I have never drained the tank to do this. Just lift the tank off, turn it over, and remove the retaining ring. If the tank is nearly full you have to use something to sit it on to keep the fuel level below the retaining ring. Just try to do the job at less than half a tank and it is not an issue. A full tank is around 40 pounds, not all that difficult to handle.

That is assuming you have the quick disconnects on the fuel lines, as all past sometime in 2000 do.
post #5 of 8 Old Oct 4th, 2005, 7:17 pm

I did it w/o draining the tank & w/o quick disconnects. It would have been a little easier if I'd arranged to have something of the proper height to rest the tank on right next to the bike, since it was still tethered by the fuel lines. However, except for a minor loss of fuel due to an inadvertent slosh :-( I was able to pull out the pump & filter, swap the filter & reinstall while holding the tank mostly on my lap.

-Ron Aikins
'99 LTC
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 5th, 2005, 7:25 pm

Unhappy

When you decide to do it yourself, you may want to think about keeping the filter outside of the fuel tank to get better access to it. I had an LT for a year and never did it, but on my RT I did and besides holding a few more ounces of gas , it is nice to get at the filter when needed (ie water in fuel) without taking the entire bike apart . That taking apart of the whole bike to get at things, made me trade the LT in for a GS . I loved the LT as it doesn't take a whole lot of maintenance but in order to get at things you have to dismantle half the bike all the time. That's OK if you make big $$ but spending $600,00 on a 12K service is ludicrous. I hope for '08 the new LT will have better access at filters and the like.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 12:49 am

Just a point for anyone wanting to re-locate the fuel filter outside the tank:

Be absolutely positive you use a filter made for fuel injection engines, and not one for a carbureted engine! The reason is that fuel injection filters are made to withstand the high pressure of fuel injection systems, the others are not. If you use the wrong type of filter, you could end up with a filter rupture! If a filter inside the tank ruptured, you would have a stopped engine. Outside the tank, a possible fire.

For me, the fuel filter change was not a big deal, since I did all my own work. Added a few dollars and about 15 minutes additional work when the tank was removed to change the air filter anyway.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 6th, 2005, 3:20 am

Lightbulb Relocated fuel filter...careful placement

David makes a good point about the type of filter that you use if tempted to relocated outside of the tank. Another being the location that you choose to place the filter. I have placed mine tucked up under the front fairing on the right hand side (sitting) using the frame as a thether point... I know of others who have located theirs under the seat (either front or rear) but to my thinking, not only is this an additional distance for the fuel to be pumped, but the risk of fire is greater being near to so many wires and the battery...
Just food for thought...

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in