How thick is the clutch housing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 5:15 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

How thick is the clutch housing

I'm going to drill a hole in the clutch housing tomorrow. If the housing is thick enough I would like grind a teardrop wedge & drill the hole at a forward angle. I'm just trying to help keep water out in the rain.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 7:21 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: How thick is the clutch housing

I just drilled mine out a couple weeks ago to partially address a rear engine output seal leak.

And after just looking at the hole, I estimate it to be 1/8" thick. The hole is drilled at 3 3/8"

from oil pan and on center, side to side, while sitting on your machine. I think one or

two small holes is more effective than one larger hole. After all, we don't want to let water or

dirt into the clutch. I used a 3/16" drill bit.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 7:23 am

An idea I was kicking around..as I prepare to drill my clutch slave cylinder weep hole, is to insert a tiny piece of open cell foam padding in the hole after drilling. This would seem to help keep out dirt, water spray, etc....yet still allow oil/fluid to get out, should it need to. Whaddya think?

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 8:17 am

I think the hole getting water and debris inside is unlikely and the water is no big deal. My bike sees plenty of rain. My opinion on this is self supported. However, look under any older K bike and you'll see a nice large, approx. .375" hole in the bottom of the bell/clutch/intermediate housing. Mine has been drilled for 2 years to a .250" size. The only downside is there does seem to be a little more drive line noise. I guess that's to be expected. The hole is a nice piece of mind to just throw an eye on to verify the case isn't full of oil.

I just drilled another bike the other day, I'd be guessing the thickness of material is about .125" as previously mentioned.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 9:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
An idea I was kicking around..as I prepare to drill my clutch slave cylinder weep hole, is to insert a tiny piece of open cell foam padding in the hole after drilling. This would seem to help keep out dirt, water spray, etc....yet still allow oil/fluid to get out, should it need to. Whaddya think?
I wouldn't do it. If you lose a tranny seal, the 90W is pretty goopy. You don't want any fluid backing up inside the bell housing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I wouldn't do it. If you lose a tranny seal, the 90W is pretty goopy. You don't want any fluid backing up inside the bell housing.
OK....was just a fleeting thought. Thanks for the reality check.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 5:43 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Thanks for all the replies. I drilled two holes & ground a little off the back side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil change 020.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	851.5 KB
ID:	22749  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in