Starter engages w/ new battery? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Starter engages w/ new battery?

Greetings-
I could use a little help. I have been riding an RT-P for a while and moved up to a used 2000 LT w/ 37K on the clock. Of course I took it for test ride and everything operated well for its age/miles.

The first time I tried to go for a ride, it appeared the battery was on it's last legs. I called the previous owner and he admitted some trouble starting the machine of late.

So, I replaced the battery.

I have attached the positive side and when I attach the negative cable, the starter starts turning immediately. Even if the key is off.

The motor will run (of course) without the negative cable.

And I noticed the headlights (all lights) do not work, despite that the motor is running.

I could really use your thoughts/ideas, as the better half is a little(!) upset with the bike, and me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:42 pm

Re: Starter engages w/ new battery?

Take a run thru the several 'similar threads' that are posted just below your post - this page. It's a problem that has been addressed many times, and there are a coupla solutions that might get you back in good graces with the wife. Good luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger
Greetings-
I could use a little help. I have been riding an RT-P for a while and moved up to a used 2000 LT w/ 37K on the clock. Of course I took it for test ride and everything operated well for its age/miles.

The first time I tried to go for a ride, it appeared the battery was on it's last legs. I called the previous owner and he admitted some trouble starting the machine of late.

So, I replaced the battery.

I have attached the positive side and when I attach the negative cable, the starter starts turning immediately. Even if the key is off.

The motor will run (of course) without the negative cable.

And I noticed the headlights (all lights) do not work, despite that the motor is running.

I could really use your thoughts/ideas, as the better half is a little(!) upset with the bike, and me.

Last edited by Dick; Apr 23rd, 2009 at 9:43 pm. Reason: re-read post - no new battery needed.
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

Here you go. From a search on "Stuck starter relay"..My 2000 did the same thing in Nov of 1999. Just a little arcing going on from high amperage when you have low voltage. Should be OK after it un-welds it self as long as the battery is kept charged.

Barnett ps the following is from Charlie VT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a sequence for unsticking the relay.
Going from memory, I think this is it:
With neg. cable disconnected charge battery to full.
(Assuming you haven't seriously run down you new battery it should take a charge alright.)
After battery is fully charged, with key and kill switch on, hold starter button down, and then reconnect the neg. battery.
After the bike starts, release the starter button.

I think that's it. Someone else may post with corrections.

If that doesn't work, you need to replace the starter relay. There is an upgraded starter relay to prevent this in the future.
HTH
Good luck.

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:04 pm Thread Starter

Holy smokes!

Back in the saddle again. Thanks a MILLION!
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 5:42 am

Quote:
Holy smokes!

Back in the saddle again. Thanks a MILLION!

Worked, huh? Great news.
Now keep the bike on a battery tender for any times you aren't riding it regularly. You might get away with keeping the existing relay (I still have my original relay in my 2000) if you don't try starting with a low voltage battery again.

Or, you can spend $ (what is it, $60-70 for the upgraded relay?) and a couple hours replacing the relay. The new relay has circuitry that prevents the relay contacts from closing if battery voltage is too low.

Have fun.
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 6:59 am Thread Starter

Thanks again for all the help. I will look into the relay.

Last question...the other battery was a Yuasa 5-series. The battery had a small black hose (1/8th" no more than 3/16ths") that fit into a plastic 90-degree black plastic elbow, which stuck into the battery. Some kind of a drain?

So, was this the original battery? The new battery doesn't have a drain hole. But I am not too concerned about that.
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 7:07 am

Quote:
Thanks again for all the help. I will look into the relay.

Last question...the other battery was a Yuasa 5-series. The battery had a small black hose (1/8th" no more than 3/16ths") that fit into a plastic 90-degree black plastic elbow, which stuck into the battery. Some kind of a drain?

So, was this the original battery? The new battery doesn't have a drain hole. But I am not too concerned about that.
Your Yuasa battery was an old lead-acid battery, the tube was an electrolyte overflow tube. Newer batteries maybe be sealed, gel, glass-matte (sp?), or other technology that doesn't require a vent. The newer ones are better in many respects, most notably, they won't as likely spill acid and cause corrosion around the battery compartment.

The Yuasa may have been the bike's original battery, I've forgotten what was original, but a lead-acid like that certainly may have been the original.

Rebuilding old AirHeads and similar early bikes almost always requires rebuilding of the battery box due to corrosion.

Charging requirements maybe different for some newer battery types so I suggest checking what type of battery you have.

I'm no battery expert, others on this board know much more than I do about 'em.

BTW, congrats on the new bike. I have a 2000 and wouldn't trade it for a newer one. Yours with less than 40k miles is like a new bike.
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 10th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilbar00c
Here you go. From a search on "Stuck starter relay"..My 2000 did the same thing in Nov of 1999. Just a little arcing going on from high amperage when you have low voltage. Should be OK after it un-welds it self as long as the battery is kept charged.

Barnett ps the following is from Charlie VT.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is a sequence for unsticking the relay.
Going from memory, I think this is it:
With neg. cable disconnected charge battery to full.
(Assuming you haven't seriously run down you new battery it should take a charge alright.)
After battery is fully charged, with key and kill switch on, hold starter button down, and then reconnect the neg. battery.
After the bike starts, release the starter button.

I think that's it. Someone else may post with corrections.

If that doesn't work, you need to replace the starter relay. There is an upgraded starter relay to prevent this in the future.
HTH
Good luck.

Worked a treat for me this afternoon. Was afraid I'd have to postpone a 5 day trip up HWY 1 from LA to Oregon that starts tomorrow AM. Thanks a million!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in