Oil Filter Thingie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:29 pm Thread Starter

Oil Filter Thingie

Is any body out there using a Purolator ML16825 in their bike?

DON
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:39 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Re: Oil Filter Thingie

Don,
I know a little French, a tiny bit of Spanish, but you must be speaking "girl" or something? What the heck does that Purolator thing mean?
Keir
post #3 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:19 pm

It's one of the filters that fit the LT.

Best from hot Tucson.

Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

post #4 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:44 pm

It is commonly stated that one should not use any filter that is painted in the LT, since it sits in oil, often hot, for it's entire life. Rumor is that the paint could soften and peel off, causing a lot of problems. However, I have not yet seen PROOF that it has really happened, but considering the relatively small cost difference per mile of riding I would not take a chance. Also rumors that the bypass valving in aftermarket filters may not be what BMW designed the engine for, another reason to just pay the difference and use the correct filter in the first place. If you save $10 over the recommended 6,000 mile oil change, that is pretty darned inconsequential.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:01 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
It is commonly stated that one should not use any filter that is painted in the LT, since it sits in oil, often hot, for it's entire life. Rumor is that the paint could soften and peel off, causing a lot of problems. However, I have not yet seen PROOF that it has really happened, but considering the relatively small cost difference per mile of riding I would not take a chance. Also rumors that the bypass valving in aftermarket filters may not be what BMW designed the engine for, another reason to just pay the difference and use the correct filter in the first place. If you save $10 over the recommended 6,000 mile oil change, that is pretty darned inconsequential.
I could see a problem with the label coming off a filter & plugging the oil pump pickup screen but the little paint particles should just go thru the pump & get stopped by the filter before entering the engine. After all that is what the filter is for.
I use the bosch filters & remove the label before I install it. I don't worry about the paint because the chips are soft enough to not hurt the oil pump.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:02 pm

Just a reminder - if using the Bosch 3330, don't forget to peel off the sticker.
post #7 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

The Purolator ML16825 has a cross reference to BMW (11 42 1 460 845) filter and is also not painted.
All the BMW filters that I have used were painted, or looked painted. So who knows?.

DON
post #8 of 23 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:49 pm

Here are a few web links:
http://www.amazon.com/Purolator-ML16.../dp/B000ICNUSO
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/archive/...p/t-12934.html
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/archive/...p/t-15393.html

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 7:09 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsobeck
The Purolator ML16825 has a cross reference to BMW (11 42 1 460 845) filter and is also not painted.
All the BMW filters that I have used were painted, or looked painted. So who knows?.

DON
Don,
I used the Purolator Pure One until they started putting the sure grip coating on them. I have never been able to find the ML16825 but would not hesitate to use them as long as they do not have the sure grip coating on them.

I also change oil every 3,000 miles and have never had any paint flaking problem yet.

Like others have stated. If the label will peel off remove it prior to installation on the bike.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #10 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 9:48 am

Anyone using these: http://www.perf-form.com/products.htm#of0005

I find their advertised claims interesting, and am considering using one.
post #11 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:35 am

If you're able to buy the BMW filters in bulk, you're usually not going to save any money by using an aftermarket filter, and additionally, you're usually not going to get a better filter either...at least that what previous oil filter threads here have suggested....by stating that the BMW filter will remove particles to 5 microns, while many aftermarket filters are rated at around 20 microns. I'll be sicking with the OEM Filter, bought in bulk (6 packs) for about $13/per. Sorry, but after all, it's just an oil filter for cryin' out loud. I personally don't expect any performance gains from using anything other than the OEM oil filter. Air filter?...maybe, but that's a whole 'nother, and highly debated, subject...not unlike the "which oil is best"!! Cheers, Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #12 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I ordered and use the BOSCH oil filters from Beemer Boneyard.......the 72161's. I just got off the phone with Bosch...asking them to what particulate size does this filter screen out. They couldn't answer me......said that their filters are manufactured to the mfg specifications, and that I'd have to call that particular vehicle manufacturer and ask them what their requirements are.

I can't believe that they don't have a chart of some sort telling them/us this information. Unbelievable.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #13 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Anyone using these: http://www.perf-form.com/products.htm#of0005

I find their advertised claims interesting, and am considering using one.
I just called and talked with somebody at this place......and was told that these filters screen out particulates from 4 to 22 microns (?????). Why the wide variance I do not know. I do know that I won't be using them.

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
post #14 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTERSON
I just called and talked with somebody at this place......and was told that these filters screen out particulates from 4 to 22 microns (?????). Why the wide variance I do not know. I do know that I won't be using them.
part of the reason is that the efficiency of the filter at a given particle or micron size is how filters are supposed to be rated. A 10 micron filter and will remove some 4 micron particles but not all of them. A 4 micron filter should remove 95% or of 4 micron or larger particles on the first pass of oil. Hence it would remove particles from 4 - 22 micron.

Rule of thumb for hydraulics is:
10 micron for most components up to 3,000 PSI
3-5 micron for proportion or Servo valves and higher pressures.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #15 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 3:12 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
I ordered and use the BOSCH oil filters from Beemer Boneyard.......the 72161's. I just got off the phone with Bosch...asking them to what particulate size does this filter screen out. They couldn't answer me......said that their filters are manufactured to the mfg specifications, and that I'd have to call that particular vehicle manufacturer and ask them what their requirements are.

I can't believe that they don't have a chart of some sort telling them/us this information. Unbelievable.
Bosch filters in a 6 pack from Beemer Boneyard Here too. That's $8.50 per filter plus shipping and you get a free $15.00 oil filter wrench. Over 40,000 miles using them with zero problems.

Stevie Shreeve
post #16 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 6:29 pm

I took my bmw oil filter into Advanced Auto Parts & asked if they had a wrench to fit it. Wall-a! $5.95

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #17 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The BMW oil filter does have a unique fine mesh screen that will filter any oil when the filter is in bypass mode. I've cut open several oil filters and have never seen that before. In most oil filters, when the bypass valve opens, unfiltered oil enters your engine!!! In addition, the bypass valve has a fairly strong spring and thus would not open until a high differential pressure occured across the filter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2654.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	22726  

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #18 of 23 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Quote:
Two terms: nominal and absolute. All filters use a range between nominal, their target size of restriction, and absolute, or what they guarentee can't get through. Just the way it is.
post #19 of 23 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 8:28 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

I use Amsoil 5 micron filters.

Cheaper then BMW and have used them on cars and bikes for many years.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #20 of 23 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 8:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpmlt
Two terms: nominal and absolute. All filters use a range between nominal, their target size of restriction, and absolute, or what they guarentee can't get through. Just the way it is.
Then, the older the filter gets, the better it screens, or in some cases, restricts.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #21 of 23 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 9:05 am

Super Tech from Wally world for about two bucks or a Napa Gold for about three. They all do the same thing, and I have found no reports of filter related oil failure on any of these threads. Just does not seem to matter.
post #22 of 23 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 9:44 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkimmel2
Super Tech from Wally world for about two bucks or a Napa Gold for about three. They all do the same thing, and I have found no reports of filter related oil failure on any of these threads. Just does not seem to matter.
+1

While I agree 100 %, as I have not nor anyone in my family have ever experienced a engine oil failure on any machines we have owned.

Griff has it right on being informed and knowing what you are buying nominal size at what % efficiency.

The other thing to consider in newer machines is they are designed at much tighter tolerances, so indeed you do need to make sure you are filtering out the highest percent of that lowest tolerance.

Again Griff on point in that as they get a bit of dirt on them they reach better efficiency.

Same on a K&N Air filter, as the oil attracts dirt, it works more efficiently. Don't want to start a debate on K&N on LT's.

Bottom line I have used Napa Golds, and Wix, and Purolators, and even the lowly and much bashed on, Frams. No bursting of the filter, no back pressure issues, never experienced oil pressure issues, and never a blown motor from one.

I know I am not wearing either my oil, or my filter out between changes, in anything I drive.

I think the OEM Manufacturers and Oil Company's have conspired to make us all obsessive compulsive on oil and filters

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

Last edited by LAF; Apr 25th, 2009 at 9:53 am.
post #23 of 23 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 12:02 pm

Here's my list of oil filters that fit an LT:
Oil Filter Kit, BMW #11002300053
Oil Filter, BMW #11.42 1 460 845, 11.42 1 460 697,Fram PH6063,Purolator ML16825,Mobil1 M1-102,Bosch 3330, Purolator PL10241 / PL25230
Oil Filter Wrench, Plews Lubrimatic 70-783, Cap style 3" (74-76mm)

You might ask yourself "how can I tell if an oil filter fails?".

I've been using the Bosch 3330 with the label peeled off for the last two years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in