Audio Issues - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:53 pm Thread Starter

Audio Issues

I bought a '05 LT on eBay and flew from Michigan to Los Angles to pick it up. It was a great ride back. I avoided all the bad weather in the mid-west by taking a southern route. Covered 2600 miles in a week.

Anyway, the bike performed wonderfully, but did have a couple of issues. I can get sound out of only the left front speaker. I stopped at a BMW dealer in Arkansas just to make sure that I wasn't just "doing it wrong" but they confirmed that only one speaker works. Interestingly, the passenger control for volume works, but the rear speakers don't. If I shift the volume from front to rear, it goes silent. The bike came without the headsets and/or connector cables, so I couldn't test that function or determine if the problem only exists with the speakers. I could not hear the voice prompts from the GPS either.

Additionally, the bike is fitted with the Piaa lights, but they don't appearer to work either. Not sure if that is related.

Any help on troubleshooting would be appreciated. I am reasonably proficient and would like to do as much of my own maint as possible.
Thanks.

Last edited by JepsenG; Apr 23rd, 2009 at 2:58 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 3:21 pm

Re: Audio Issues

Lots of issues with the radio and lots of information here. do a search to see what others have found.

Your GPS prompts may only go through the headset, not the speakers depending upon how it is wired and whether it's a BMW or aftermarket GPS. If the GPS audio is cabled to your COM unit AUX jack, then it is only available in the headset.

Some people have installed a switch for the PIAA lights (can't recall the name) that is activated by the turn signal cancel switch. If I'm not mistaken, two quick pulses on the turn signal cancel will turn them off and on. If you don't have a dedicated PIAA switch on your handlebar, that may be what the solution is.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 3:49 pm

My PIAA lights are operated by holding down the turn signal cancel button for about 2 seconds. Try that.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:30 pm

Smile Re: Audio Issues

Hi Gary,
I also have a 05 model, but have an after market sound system.
Mine is the automan, the unit is fitted to the back of the top box behind the passengers seat.
Do you know if you have the OEM BMW sound or an after market.?
With mine to hear through our helmets you must have the ignition on full, set the speakers to the rear speakers through your control and hey presto great sound. But to listen through the speakers when parked up I have a toggle switch fitted which enable the system to work through all four speakers, my switch is fitted between the rear back rest and is a simple up or down to produce sound through the helmets or live through the speakers. I'd suggest you remove the back seat (only 2 set screws) and check.
I don't know if you guys go for after market equipment like we do?
But I believe the Automan system produces better sound than the genuine BMW sound system.
Hope this has been of some assistance.
Bruce
West Australia.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 5:49 pm

Do you have a link where we can learn more about the Automan System that you have. I have a channel out on my 03 and would like a replacment of some sort. Thanks

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

My 2004 had two speakers working when I got it. Two months later only the left front worked. I sent the radio to Beckers in NJ & $300.00 later with a new main board it still works fine. Beware there was no warranty.
I'm from Ann Arbor if memory serves me correct Ada is south of the Dundee exit on US-23. I now live just north of Charlotte NC.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:17 pm

Interestingly I have just found out that both my 04 and 03 LTs have rear right channels out.
I am thinking about the Jensen MSR2007 system. Need to find out which wire stands for which channel for BMW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by free2ride
Do you have a link where we can learn more about the Automan System that you have. I have a channel out on my 03 and would like a replacment of some sort. Thanks

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Ok, the PIAA lights came on when I held down the turn signal cancel switch for two seconds. One problem down

The sound system is the BMW lable as is the CB. I will trace all the connections for anything obvious.
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JepsenG
Ok, the PIAA lights came on when I held down the turn signal cancel switch for two seconds. One problem down

The sound system is the BMW lable as is the CB. I will trace all the connections for anything obvious.
If the BMW sound system is anything like the AutoComm that I installed, it is possible that the wiring from the comm system, that attaches to the speakers might be broken. You'll probably need to acquire the communication system wiring diagram and trace audio out to the bikes speaker wires under the passenger seat.

As stated above, two screws and passenger seat slides forward and out.. There is also a wire plug ( heated seat) under the passenger seat that is accessible before or right after you remove the two screws. The plug has two friction things that are squeezed together before you can remove the plug.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 9:53 am

Hi David,
As Dano has mentioned I've miss named the beast, it should have been "Autocom"
The product I believe is English and their web site is www.automan.co.uk, their email address is [email protected] and phone No is +44(0)1926 431249
We have a company here in Oz who handle the units and their service is second to none.
I've also had the occassion to ring the UK and speak to a Tech Rep for information and found them very helpful. I'm sure the USA would have someone who is representing them there.
It's an old unit, but wouldn't use anything else. Absolutely trouble free and great tone through the helmets. As mentioned we've used this unit on two LT's now over six years and still as good as the day we purchased the unit.
Bruce
West Oz.
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 11:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceFPrichard
....I believe is English and their web site is www.automan.co.uk,
West Oz.
Slight typo there...the website is http://www.autocom.co.uk/, not automan

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in