Little help please... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:19 am Thread Starter

Little help please...

Little help please...

Yesterday I decided that it was a great day to lubricate the shifting linkage on my LT.....sounds easy enough? I decided that I might as well take all the lower panels of to address a very minor front timing cover oil leak that had manifested its self as an occasional drop of oil on my garage floor.
The first thing I did was grab a small Tupperware container to place all the fasteners in then I attempted take off the Forward / Reverse lever. I removed the allen bolt then went to pull the Forward / Reverse lever off....it would not come off? I pulled it, rocked it, wiggled it, I even went as far as to vigorously tap it with a dead blow hammer.... nothing. I stopped for a moment, tried having happy-happy, joy-joy thoughts, took several deep breaths....pulled again, nothing? No amount of tapping, pulling, or WD-40 would defeat this cleaver adversary.
The thing that makes this the most aggravating is the fact that I am required to be very careful when trying to remove the lever to avoid scratching the plastic body work behind it?

After looking at the BMW parts microfiche it looks as if the only thing holding the lever on is the allen bolt? I often read about the levers falling off at a cost of $45.00 each so what gives? Is there some over engineered German requirement I am not aware of? Perhaps turning it to a certain position before pulling?
Having lived in Germany from 1997 to 2001 I know that the German people often take a different approah to life so I decided to go in my house and try to "be one" with my German motorcycle. To bond with my bike I chose to drink 6 Schöfferhofer Hefeweizen Beers...Aah the joys ??? of Germany.

Last edited by SteveL; Apr 23rd, 2009 at 10:04 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:27 am

Re: Little help please...

I believe Loctite was used to keep the reverse knob from falling off. You might want to use a heat gun on that part and drink more beer but don't ride.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:27 am

Try spraying some penetrate lube in through the hole were you removed the allen screw & also down the back of the f/r lever. Leave for awhile & then try removal.

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:29 am

Well, it's certainly unusual. That's for sure.

Probably somebody used a little too much loctite or something.
Hell, Maybe they glued the damn thing on.

The center screw is all that holds it on. Do the other things suggested first, then,

Time to use a puller. Or a hi speed tool and cut the damn thing off.

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #5 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:40 am

Take a small rope, rag, whatever and wrap it behind the reversed knob. With some good pulling and wiggling It will pop right off.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:41 am

That allen bolt is all that holds it on according to Clymer. I can't imagine why it would be stuck like it is...I think you just need to keep working it...sorry, not much help here. The only thing loctited is the allen bolt...you got that out. When you do get it off don't forget to loctite the allen when you re-install. Don't get it on any plastic though.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey

Last edited by Reid; Apr 23rd, 2009 at 9:56 am.
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 12:02 pm

Mine was quite stubborn too. When I finally got it off...I noticed a bit of corrosion in there. The knob is aluminum, the shaft is carbon steel, so not surprised I guess. Anywho, try the rope trick, give it some pulling pressure while doing some light tapping with a small hammer (maybe protect the hammer head with masking tape).

Before reinstallation, clean off that corrosion (chalky white aluminum residue) as best as posible, and put a light coating of grease/oil on the shaft.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 1:22 pm

We ran into that problem during a tech session at CCR Gatlinburg.
All kinds of tugging, etc. didn't work.

Warm it up with a hair dryer (or heat gun but be careful not to blister the paint).
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:01 pm

I had to do the rope trick, it took quite a bit of pulling. I attached the rope to a sledge to provide some momentum. I suggest putting some masking tape on the outside of the lever for when it goes flying. Mine went across the floor. Just my .02.

Mike
In the frozen tundra
2003 Impala Brown LT

2001 Suzuki RM250
2000 FZR1000
1984 Honda Sabre
1984 KDX 200
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 2:10 pm

yeah... just stuck... the shaft has a square end on it.. a "rope" will assist in rocking the lever... rock fore/aft then overhead/deck....

IF you have a small "puller" you can use that... just run the allen bolt almost all the way in and use the bolt head as a centering point.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in