Fuel guage/sending unit ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 7:32 am Thread Starter

Fuel guage/sending unit ???

Hello all,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm really enjoying my new to me ride. Man this this is smooth. all the ammenities are great. Saturday while out riding my 9yo son on the back is hollering "Dad! Dad! the backrest is heated too!" . I didn't know that.
Today's question is about the fuel guage. The first few tanks. (yes, a few tanks already. about 850 miles in two weeks with bad weather and working for a living) when I get close to about 1/8 tank I get a fuel worning light and headed to the gas station. only took about 3.3 gal. next two tanks the same thing. I thought I was correct in believing this bike has a 6.2 gallon tank. my BC shows an average 43-49mpg. I not a scientist but that would be more than the 200 miles till the light comes on. Does the BC calculate range from the guage sending unit? do the guages go bad? I've read that a new guage sending unit must be calibrated. could my current one go out of calibration? My VTX didn't even have a guage but I'd sure like one that works as long as it's there. Again, thank you for all of your wisdom I have learned on this site so far. I look forward to your responces on this one.

Rick

PS. one other notible mention is after saturday's ride I put her away in the garage and later saw a drop or two of gas on the floor at the right rear of the bike. further investigation showed it was coming from an overflow? hose at the rear of the bike..Any thoughts on this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001 K1200LT C New to me 4-06-09
2002 Honda VTX 1800- SOLD
1983 Honda Goldwing interstate - SOLD

Last edited by brycesdad; Apr 22nd, 2009 at 7:47 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:10 am

Re: Fuel guage/sending unit ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesdad
Hello all,

First of all I'd like to say that I'm really enjoying my new to me ride. Man this this is smooth. all the ammenities are great. Saturday while out riding my 9yo son on the back is hollering "Dad! Dad! the backrest is heated too!" . I didn't know that.
Today's question is about the fuel guage. The first few tanks. (yes, a few tanks already. about 850 miles in two weeks with bad weather and working for a living) when I get close to about 1/8 tank I get a fuel worning light and headed to the gas station. only took about 3.3 gal. next two tanks the same thing. I thought I was correct in believing this bike has a 6.2 gallon tank. my BC shows an average 43-49mpg. I not a scientist but that would be more than the 200 miles till the light comes on. Does the BC calculate range from the guage sending unit? do the guages go bad? I've read that a new guage sending unit must be calibrated. could my current one go out of calibration? My VTX didn't even have a guage but I'd sure like one that works as long as it's there. Again, thank you for all of your wisdom I have learned on this site so far. I look forward to your responces on this one.

Rick

PS. one other notible mention is after saturday's ride I put her away in the garage and later saw a drop or two of gas on the floor at the right rear of the bike. further investigation showed it was coming from an overflow? hose at the rear of the bike..Any thoughts on this?
Can't comment on the gauge, but with that gas drip from the rear of the bike, you need to go to the Hall of Wisdom and read up on doing a canisterectomy. it sounds like your charcoal canister is contaminated with fuel, which might be causing your gauge oddities as well, but certainly is an issue to be corrected.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #3 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Hmmmmm, the sender is indicating 1/8 left in the tank and you can only fill 3.3 gals. For some reason it sounds like the sending unit isn't floating. (It floats up and down a thin metal tube in the tank. The tube can be dented if a fill nozzle bumps against it). Never heard of that one before. When you fill -up, does the indicator reach "F" or somewhere below it?

Have you over filled the tank? There's a rubber molding around the fill tube that takes any overflow and runs it down tubing on the right hand side. Comes out just below the foot pegs. This is the tube that runs next to the tank/canister vent tubing.

HTH,
Jer

Jerry Palma
99 K1200LTI Champagne 'Oh, Kay' (dropped: 5)
97 K1100LT Aspen Silver Night High Line 'Silver Knight'
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'
08 535xi Space Gray metallic
09 328i Silver Convertable
17 X3 Glacier Silver metallic

BMWMOA #157323 / ABC #11368 -- All-in-all a newbie!

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!

post #4 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:13 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

When you remove the gas cap do you hear a Swoosh Sound like air escaping from the tank? If so then the canister is clogged and cause the tank to "SUCK IN". This will bend the sending unit and cause the BC and fuel gauge to read wrong.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
When you remove the gas cap do you hear a Swoosh Sound like air escaping from the tank? If so then the canister is clogged and cause the tank to "SUCK IN". This will bend the sending unit and cause the BC and fuel gauge to read wrong.
That's correct. If the sending unit is bent your gas guage will either show that it never is completely empty or never completely full, depenting on if the float is above or below the bend/kink in the sending unit.
That was my question earlier. Does the gas guage ever read completely full (since it was stated there was 1/8 of a tank left)?

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

I love these bikes regardless of what I've needed to fix on them. I'll: Just Ride 'em!
post #6 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
Hmmmmm, the sender is indicating 1/8 left in the tank and you can only fill 3.3 gals. For some reason it sounds like the sending unit isn't floating. (It floats up and down a thin metal tube in the tank. The tube can be dented if a fill nozzle bumps against it). Never heard of that one before. When you fill -up, does the indicator reach "F" or somewhere below it?

Have you over filled the tank? There's a rubber molding around the fill tube that takes any overflow and runs it down tubing on the right hand side. Comes out just below the foot pegs. This is the tube that runs next to the tank/canister vent tubing.

HTH,
Jer
Never goes to Full either, most I've seen is about 3/4-7/8
I did fill up just over the top of the threads on one fill up. (some guy was squeezing between my bike and the building while I was pumping. I looked away for a minute)

post #7 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:20 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jers99lt
That's correct. If the sending unit is bent your gas guage will either show that it never is completely empty or never completely full, depenting on if the float is above or below the bend/kink in the sending unit.
That was my question earlier. Does the gas guage ever read completely full (since it was stated there was 1/8 of a tank left)?

Jer
defineately not a Swoosh or vapor lock condition

post #8 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:56 pm

We have the stupid "boots" on the pumps here in California. I stop filling when the pump clicks off because its a pain to fight the boot. It is not as full as could be and I still usually put in 4.5 gal with the gauge at one quarter.

Scott
2009 LT
post #9 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 2:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

-1 on the stupid fuel vapor boots, thank God there are not too many here in the south ... yet.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned is which stand you were filling it on. You can only fill it completely on the SIDE stand.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
-1 on the stupid fuel vapor boots, thank God there are not too many here in the south ... yet.

One other thing I didn't see mentioned is which stand you were filling it on. You can only fill it completely on the SIDE stand.
filling it up on the side stand

post #11 of 14 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:15 pm

Rick, the first thing I would do is remove the cannister. Check the Hall of Wisdom - lots of information there. An easy job that should be done in any case.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:13 am Thread Starter

I have searched the halls of wisdom for Canisterectomy. I try to click on the link and it opens a window that tells me cannot find server. does anyone have this file available that they could email to me? if you do I would appreciate it. send to [email protected]
Thank you,

Rick

post #13 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:57 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brycesdad
defineately not a Swoosh or vapor lock condition
I'm then at a loss for what the issue might be. If you fill on the side stand until the pump clicks off, then you have a pretty close to full tank. If the sending unit float sits below an alledged kink then you should have used more than 3.3 gals when the gas guage reads 1/8.
Is calibration an issue? I've never had mine done. I've only fixed my sending tube that had a kink.

Jer

Jerry Palma
85 R80RT 'Lady in Red'

post #14 of 14 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

A little quick math..... with a 6 gallon tank you should be able to put 4.5 gallons in at 1/4 tank so your gauge is about 1/4 tank off. My 2000 was intermittent so I pulled the sending unit out and found that the issue was a small brass nut which holds the sending unit tube on. The nut was loose and allowed the tube to move around which cause the intermittent readings. The sending unit consists of an aluminum tube and a float inside that which has two contact points for a piece of nichrome (I think) wire which varies the resistance input for the gauge. Be careful if you tear into it. It's somewhat fragile. On my 2000 the fuel gauge never reads full. It will get close but never maxes out. It's just one of the quirks of the machine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in