To Much Rear Disc Movement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 5:51 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

To Much Rear Disc Movement

How much movement is to much ?. Since going to the STC this past weekend my rear disc seems to have at least twice the movement it had before.
I just checked it with a dial indicator & front to rear is .055 & side to side is .024.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STC 011.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	851.6 KB
ID:	22702   Click image for larger version

Name:	STC 012.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	881.2 KB
ID:	22703  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 8:51 pm

Re: To Much Rear Disc Movement

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddle-man
How much movement is to much ?. Since going to the STC this past weekend my rear disc seems to have at least twice the movement it had before.
I just checked it with a dial indicator & front to rear is .055 & side to side is .024.
It's a floating disc and the bushings wear causing the movement. My bike has 65k and it has noticeable side to side play. I don't think it hurts anything, just makes a lot of rattling noise at low speeds.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:06 pm

My 02 with102k has had 3 or 4 rear disc replaced under warranty. Now loose again and soon to go back to the dealer (ext warranty). There was a change in the rivet count to improve the problem, I think they changed from 9 to 7 rivets. A search should tell you and prepare you to take it back to the dealer.

Tom Austen
02 LTC
Aromas, CA. (near Santa Cruz)

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:08 pm

Dave, an alternative if you are interested is to get an EBC rotor,
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 6:22 am

Quote:

Hi Dave, fore and aft movement is the problem as I guess you suspect. That .055 indicates the rivets are fairly worn. Lateral play is normal, even when mine was replaced under warranty. I like Mike's EBC disc idea.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:56 pm

Hi Dave. I replaced my rear rotor and pads on my 03 at 66,500 mi. I talked to the dealer was told it was not a safety issue just annoying.
1. part # MD615 rear rotor $139.00
2. part # FA304HH brake pads $30.60
3. ship UPS grd. 13.50
Total $176.10
time to change 2 hrs. this is for 03, double check part #s for 04
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 2:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
Hi Dave. I replaced my rear rotor and pads on my 03 at 66,500 mi. I talked to the dealer was told it was not a safety issue just annoying.
1. part # MD615 rear rotor $139.00
2. part # FA304HH brake pads $30.60
3. ship UPS grd. 13.50
Total $176.10
time to change 2 hrs. this is for 03, double check part #s for 04
^^ These are EBC Part numbers, by the way ^^

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #8 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 6:50 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

Thanks for all the advice everybody. I have a spare 2008 FD with a rotor from a bike that was triked. I just got back from the dealer to buy the two bolts for the rotor & they don't stock them. What I really would like to know is what is too much movement front too back.

They said at the dealer there is no set number. If it moves front too back it's no good. There price was $445.00 for a new rotor. I reused the two bolts 10,000 miles ago from my rotor when I had it off. So I'll clean & reuse the bolts from the 08 drive this time.

When I install the 08 rotor I'll check both forward & side play so I have some data to have.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #9 of 10 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 7:59 pm

Quote:
Thanks for all the advice everybody. I have a spare 2008 FD with a rotor from a bike that was triked. I just got back from the dealer to buy the two bolts for the rotor & they don't stock them. What I really would like to know is what is too much movement front too back.

They said at the dealer there is no set number. If it moves front too back it's no good. There price was $445.00 for a new rotor. I reused the two bolts 10,000 miles ago from my rotor when I had it off. So I'll clean & reuse the bolts from the 08 drive this time.

When I install the 08 rotor I'll check both forward & side play so I have some data to have.
I'm with the dealer. Since there aren't any specs, hard to say what too much is. I'd say you'd have to look at how it moves within the area of the brake pad surface and make a judgement call. If any binding could occur, definitely bad. Don't buy the stock. Go with the EBC. I've seen Dan Brown's after installation and it works great. Also, the parts that fit Dan's '03 are the same as our '04's.

Hi Dan, how you doin?

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 26th, 2009, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
Enjoy The Ride

I installed my 2008 spare rotor. It is the new 5 rivet design. I can't move it by hand in either direction. I also finally wore out my rear brake pads. I'm on my second set of front pads & now my first set on the rear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil change 015.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	847.4 KB
ID:	22750  

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in