EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID light KIT...value for LT owners or junk? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 9:21 am Thread Starter

Lightbulb EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID headlight conversion kit...value for LT owners?

Has anyone purchased an EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID light KIT for their LT? I often see them on Ebay for $89.00, sounds like a good deal? I have PIAA 1192 Platinum 1100X Super White Dichroic Driving Lamps on my R1100RT. The PIAA lights are very very good but seem like a bit of an over kill?

The idea of converting the older LT's standard low beam to a HID light seems like a straight forward answer to the LT's lighting issues. I have heard that the $199.99 HID kit solves the LT lighting issue. Does the HID kit that cost $199.99 fall into the BMW mantra I hear from some LT owners that "if it is expensive it must be good"?

The lighting issue on older LT's is something that some owners may want to address. Is the EFX kit a practical answer and a good value for LT owners or is it junk?

I hope that one of our readers has some experience with the EFX kit and can bring some clarity or...shed some light on the EFX kit.

Last edited by SteveL; Apr 21st, 2009 at 12:56 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 9:39 am

Re: EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID light KIT...value for LT owners or junk?

Steve.. lots of folks have upgraded to the HID... I'm using the Xenon Depot which works very well and is a huge upgrade from "stock"... even on my '05 LT.

Xenon Depot is a "supporter" of this site.. See the "home page"... for the vendors..

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/?referer=xd
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:00 am

I would still add a set of PIAAs for great conspicuity. I had them on my 3 LTs, including my current 05.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 1:35 pm

Thumbs up Re: EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID light KIT...value for LT owners or junk?

HID's are absolutely a necessity!!

If memory servers me correctly I got my from Raffy years ago and I would check with him on what is the current "Best" HID install. Works great with no problems.

You need all the light you can get LOL

Later Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front End.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	226.3 KB
ID:	22699  

Last edited by stevea2980; Apr 21st, 2009 at 2:53 pm.
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:46 pm

you do not need to invest anywhere near that many $$$.

DDM Tuning, out of san diego, has an H7 low beam kit for the bike for @$45. I have one installed in my bike and have been extremely satisified with it - it is as well made an electrical add-on as i have ever seen, and i work hands-on in the the technology business.

if you are an old phart, and like being prepared and having repair parts available in advance, you can purchase a double h7 kit from DDM, which is designed for use on an ATV, for only @ 15 dollars more. ;-) you then have a spare ballast/ignitor and a bulb in stock to make sure the ones in you bike will never, ever break. ;-)

as always, no financial relationship, just a satisfied customer.

g.

greg shamieh boof # 93 k-whiner # 83
jefferson, maryland

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200LT --- "darkside"
75R90S -- "esssss"
73R75/5 -- "mojo"
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:16 pm

Question Re: EFX H3 MOTORCYCLE HID light KIT...value for LT owners or junk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s

DDM Tuning, out of san diego, has an H7 low beam kit for the bike for @$45. I have one installed in my bike and have been extremely satisified with it - it is as well made an electrical add-on as i have ever seen, and i work hands-on in the the technology business.

if you are an old phart, and like being prepared and having repair parts available in advance, you can purchase a double h7 kit from DDM, which is designed for use on an ATV, for only @ 15 dollars more. ;-) you then have a spare ballast/ignitor and a bulb in stock to make sure the ones in you bike will never, ever break. ;-)

How easy was it to install the kit from DDM and how long did it take to do it? How much more comfortable do you feel during a night ride than before the H7 kit installation.
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2it
How easy was it to install the kit from DDM and how long did it take to do it? How much more comfortable do you feel during a night ride than before the H7 kit installation.
Very easy straightforward install. Mine took about a half hour with a lot of think time to get everything right in terms of ballast placement etc., but that was with the nose tupperware off, as it was already off for some other work I was doing. With tupperware on, I'd guess it'd take about an hour with fiddling.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #8 of 12 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

The DDM Tuning web site looks very good, here is their motorcycle accessory web site

http://www.ddmtuning.com/index.php?p...parent=61&pg=1

Thanks, Steve
post #9 of 12 Old May 21st, 2009, 5:51 pm

I second DDM Tuning. Had my bike less than a week and this was my first upgrade. No tupperware off, took about 45 minutes. Only because I work slow and methodically so 99.9% of the time my stuff works first time. However, if I did it again I would say 30 minute to do it. Much brighter, but I may not be the one to ask as I had mine on very fast.

05 LT
Marine Engineering Officer
US Army
post #10 of 12 Old May 22nd, 2009, 7:18 am

I second...err third...the DDM Tuning setup. I got the 55w upgrade so was $10 more, but am absolutely loving it. The best bang for the buck upgrade out there, to your door for at most $60, depending on options.

Install was very simple, make sure to use the instructions on the website, much better than what comes in the box. The components are small than others, which also helps. I took off my entire nose cone for the install, but that is not necessary.

Good luck!

Adam
2006 K1200LT 2001 Kawi KLR650
The
wants YOU!

Last edited by browad; May 22nd, 2009 at 7:18 am. Reason: Added content
post #11 of 12 Old May 22nd, 2009, 9:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmmmm90s

Did you do the 35W, or 55W kit...? and if the 55W are you happy with the resulting light color.. (not too blue)

Jim Lawson 2016 R1200RT
Retired to NC !

post #12 of 12 Old May 22nd, 2009, 3:37 pm

Early last season I converted two Hella foglights to HID and I ordered a 55 watt kit that was supposed to be for a car. The ballasts were actually 55 watt but the bulbs were 35 Watt. When I called the vendor they told me there was not (at the time) any 55 watt bulbs. I ordered the 55 watt kit quite a bit extra so that I could swap out one of my headlamps eventually with 55 lamps.

My logic was if 35 watts was awesome compared to the halogen the 55 Watts would be like landing lights.

I have not looked in a while but I have not found a source for 55 watt lamps. If they are now sourcing 55 Watt lamps I would consider buying a few and swapping them in to the main headlight low/high spots.

I would be interested to know if they are really 55 watt....

The vendor should be able to give you the color temp you want..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in