Engine will not idle - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 11:16 pm Thread Starter

Engine will not idle

Really need some assistance on this one....a few weeks ago after traveling a few miles on my 99 LTwould and coming to a stoplight the engine would idle rough between 1000 - 800 RPMs but would smooth out with an increase in throttle...last week after just a few minutes under throttle and coming to a stop the engine initially idle smooth at 1000 RPMs then dropped to 800 - 500 RPMs for a few seconds, followed shorty by a cutoff. This week it has gotten progressively worst and now after running for just a couple of minutes at idle, it will drop to 500 RPMs and then shutoff. Can start up imediately and after a few seconds RPMs drops down and shuts offs. Engine is very strong and smooth under acceleration and cruising and always starts immediately. Here is what I have tried so far with no luck:

-Canisterectomy performed correctly, tank is properly vented with no restrictions, no vaccum suction when removing the gas cap, plus all 4 vaccum leads vertified connected and secured to the intake manifold

-Checked Plugs, only have 3,000 miles and looked good, plug wires looked OK.

-Charged/checked battery, it's is 4 years old seems great and cranks the engine very strong (12.9v static, 12.5v key on, 10.4 cranking, 13.9v running)

-Tank drained twice and checked for blockage and any restriction in the filter...used gas from 2 different gas stations, plus ran fuel injector cleaner.

-Reset throttle position sensor 3 times.

My bike will not idle at all after running for a few minutes when first started, have tried everything that I can think of at this point......any other suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreicated.

Dave

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 6:37 am

Re: Engine will not idle

Hmmm....as you've verified that it's not a venting issue, it sounds to me like either a fuel pump on it's way out...or perhaps a dirty fuel filter. My guess is the pump. Both the pump and filter are inside the tank.

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.
post #3 of 16 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 6:49 am

Another thought is the fuel regulator on the fuel rail.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 6:48 pm Thread Starter

I did take the pump/filter out of the tank and inspected them both....no restriction with the filter and when the key is first turn on the pump charges-up in about 1-2 seconds and sounds strong then turns off, engine starts immedately and runs very smooth and strong except at idle...maybe my battery is getting weak but always indicates 13.9v at idle.

Did not know about the fuel regulator, that could be it also....anyway to test it, not sure where it is located on the fuel rail.

Any other suggestions that I should try after the fuel regulator?

Thanks for all the assistance
post #5 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:15 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Smile Re: Engine will not idle

Isn't rough idle also a sign of a leaky vacuum line ?
Not having had this problem myself, maybe a search would help

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 4:52 pm Thread Starter

I did check all 4 vaccum lines and they were good, usually a leak makes the idle surge up and down above 1000 RPMs...unfortunately for me my idle drops very low usually 800-500 RPMs then shuts off after a while. Just don't know what else to check at this point. Thanks for your suggestion.
post #7 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 5:38 pm

I do a ton of engine stuff....Often overlooked, water in fuel? Take a nice high-flow sample from the fuel rail return perhaps? Won't hurt to rule out water....
post #8 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 6:48 pm

i would check the tps. i know you reset it but sounds like sympton of a bad tps. can usually be checked w' a dvom
john
post #9 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 7:56 pm

If in all of your checking you haven't disconnected the battery for more than a few seconds, you might try letting the computer reset itself by disconnecting the battery and letting it sit for an hour or so. Reconnect the battery turn the key to on and before starting be sure to fully open and close the throttle three times to let the computer relearn the positions. This should reset your system to the default maps. Now start the engine and see if that has any effect.

I always like to try the cheap stuff first before taking to a dealer.

Good luck,

Steve

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #10 of 16 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Excellent suggestions

- will sample the fuel and check for water, as I recall water will float to the top of a clear cantainer

- John, TPS failure is definitely a possiblity, not sure what volts/ohms readings to look for on the TPS check, could not find the test procedure searching the forum, would really like to check this one out if I can locate the test procedures.

- Steve, have not disconnected the battery for a long time....will do it tonight and reset my fuel map back to default

Thanks guys for the suggestions, hopefully I'm getting close to finding my problem.

Dave

-
post #11 of 16 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 4:35 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepilot427
Excellent suggestions

- will sample the fuel and check for water, as I recall water will float to the top of a clear cantainer

Dave
Drain a pint into a clear quart-sized mason jar, cap it, swirl it. The water droplets will form/tumble at the bottom of the vortex; water is heavier than petroleum. Hope this helps.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748
post #12 of 16 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 7:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglepilot427
... as I recall water will float to the top of a clear cantainer -
Yep, what he said. The specific gravity of water is higher than gasoline....so the water, if there is any, would sink to the bottom.

post #13 of 16 Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:31 am
Lifetime Supporter

Engine idle speed is controlled by the Idle Air Controller (IAC) module. It sounds to me like you may have an issue there.

post #14 of 16 Old Apr 24th, 2009, 10:18 pm Thread Starter

Wacolt and Toolman,
Thanks for the water testing procedure, used it to test my fuel and it appears OK did not see any water droplets at all.

Dean
Do you know where the IAC is located and how to test it?

After draining the fuel to test for water and resetting the TPS/fuel map with the battery disconnected, the engine idle was perfect for over 10 minutes...thought the problem was fixed...took the Bike out for a short test drive and it started to idle low, but did not cut-off...I shut it off let it cool down and tried it again this time the idle was normal and very smooth. Looks like I have an intermittent problem that comes and goes...makes me think that it's not the fuel pump or filter. Any suggestions/thoughts

Thanks for all the help
Dave
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 7:20 am

Hmmm...makes me think it might be the injectors starting to get dirty. Cold engine = higher idle via longer injector pulse (more fuel). As engine warms up, idle speed decreases (shorter injector pulse/less fuel) and the problem rears it's ugly head in this RPM range. Just a theory. Maybe try a can of injector cleaner juice...and see it makes any difference whatsoever.

post #16 of 16 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

Toolman....will add some injector cleaner tomorrow....would be great if that's the problem.
Thanks
Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in