What's worse then a slipping clutch on a 2005 LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 7:22 pm Thread Starter

What's worse then a slipping clutch on a 2005 LT?

A slipping clutch on April 20, 2009.

I mean come on, I JUST put a new battery in!

Really?

It's 50 in the morning and 70 in the afternoon and my clutch is going to start slipping now?

Okay, it's a 2005 with 22,000 on it and to be honest I ride the piss out of her. Speed shifting with the rice burners, 70 and 80 roll ons with Vettes and Vipers But it's efn APRIL? The clutch canít start slipping in like October? What the hell Adolf!

And you know, it's not like it MIGHT be something else, maybe just a few times thing and I can ease off and itíll go away. No dice baby. The clutch starts slipping and you KNOW it. Your heart just sinks, and when you get to your destination you get off and look at all that TUPPERWARE. Where is the friggin clutch on this damn thing!!

So you go in to work, start thumbing through posts. 2K at the dealer for a clutch job?! And youíre like yea, that's a job all right. What the hell Adolf!

So I am going to do it myself. I looked through the posts on lifts and decided to go with a Direct Lift Pro Cycle XLT Drop Tail. It looks to MSRP for $880, before negotiations.

My first question is if anyone is interested in a group buy for that lift? Check it out at:

http://www.directlift.com/procyclexltdt.asp

If so then IM me please.

My second question is about manuals and tips. Which manual should I get to go through the clutch and valve adjustments? Also, I found a nice set of instructions on drilling the weep holes but nothing on a full on clutch replacement. Could someone please post a link, if they know of one?

Thirdly, anyone living in proximity to Little Rock that wants to participate in an LT clutch job feel free to IM me. I can promise all the beer you can drink and the opportunity to see an LT stripped down and fumbled through. I have never done one but I am going to.

I figure about 2 weeks to see if anyone bites on the group buy thing, plus a week to gather all the parts so I am looking at 3 or 4 weekends out.

I am going to try the clutch from

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bmw_clutches.html

The turbo paw, will update after and all.

Brian Smith

2005 K1200LT
Canton, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Re: What's worse then a slipping clutch on a 2005 LT?

Hello, just bought the Clymers repair manual from amazone.ca for $41.** Canadian tax & shipping included. All the work instruction are in there. Hope that help. Let me know how it went if you decide to do it your self. I was told it's a 9 to 12 hours job.
post #3 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 6:49 am

If you haven't already, look up the posts from cccpastorjack. He's done a clutch (or maybe two) in his time. He's gone to dark side now (GT owner), but is still pretty active on the LT forum. Here's is one of his posts.

You've probably done enough research by now to know that your problem may infact be caused by a leaky clutch slave cylinder. Even riding the pee-pee out or her, 22K seems a bit early to fry a clutch disc. Anywho, you might consider replacing the clutch slave cylinder while you're in there, as well as drilling the famous clutch slave cylinder weep hole. Also consider replacing that rear gearbox (output shaft) seal while in there too.

Regards,
Toolman

I wish I could think of clever things to say in my signature.

post #4 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 9:06 am

I just visited the Hall of Wisdom and went to the maintenance section and was surprised to see that there were no entries for the clutch section.

I would think that the excellent posts by cccpastorjack on clutch replacement would be there.

Frank Carroll
Cumming, Georgia

2003 K1200LT
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
post #5 of 7 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 11:54 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

There was a batch of 05's that had early slave failure - most around 18-20K on the clock. They were all post March 05 builds IIRC.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 7:49 am

I wish I lived closer to AR. I just did the clutch on my 05 over the winter, and it wasn't that bad of a job. I just had a little trouble taking the swing arm off because I didn't have a 6 point 14mm impact socket for the front bearing stud and rounded off the front bearing stud hex. Get the right tools first, and read all you can on this forum, you should be okay.
I think you choice of an aftermarket disk is a good thing, the oem part I believe is made from kevlar, and after trying a set of kevlar rear brake pads I am not impressed with their grip, sintered metal is the way to go!

05 Dark Graphite LT
post #7 of 7 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman
... Anywho, you might consider replacing the clutch slave cylinder while you're in there, as well as drilling the famous clutch slave cylinder weep hole. Also consider replacing that rear gearbox (output shaft) seal while in there too.
While you in there replace *all* the seals. My slipping clutch ('02) was not the dread clutch slave, but engine main seal. In addition to all the seals, I had the slave replaced with the updated one, slave drip hole drilled, and drip hole drilled between the tranny and engine case.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in