Rear brake disc noise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 11:20 am Thread Starter

Smile Rear brake disc noise

I was wondering if anyone has experienced a noisy rear brake disc on their K1200LT. I took the bike out for a ride the other day and heard this rattle coming from the bike. Upon further inspection I found that the rear disk is loose around the rivets that hold it in place. Is this common? It almost seems like there should be some circlips or something to hold this disk secure against the rivets. Anyway it is very annoying when running around town at slow speeds. I can't hear it when out on the highway. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:05 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Rear brake disc noise

It is designed to float about the rivets as the caliper is fixed. They do wear and begin clanging like a cow bell over time. Some have added a small dap of hi-temp silicon (RTV) to stop the rattle. By the time they do that though they are probably past the wear limit and should be replaced. There is a new "improved" unit available from BMW and the EBC aftermarket rotor is also a good option but there has been some "fit" issues with the EBC.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler
It is designed to float about the rivets as the caliper is fixed. They do wear and begin clanging like a cow bell over time. Some have added a small dap of hi-temp silicon (RTV) to stop the rattle. By the time they do that though they are probably past the wear limit and should be replaced. There is a new "improved" unit available from BMW and the EBC aftermarket rotor is also a good option but there has been some "fit" issues with the EBC.
I just put on an EBC rotor and pads for the same problem (well, and I needed pads) - no fit issues at all.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #4 of 18 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 2:37 pm

Go to the site's search function and type in rear brake rattle. You will find lots of info.
Welcome to the nut-house.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #5 of 18 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRodPete
I just put on an EBC rotor and pads for the same problem (well, and I needed pads) - no fit issues at all.
Did you check it? The fit problem folks have is with the wheel not seating flat against the rotor, it rides up on the ribs of the wheel and the angled part of the rotor. Almost impossible to detect without removing the wheel and looking for the rub marks. If you did check it and everything is OK that would be good to know. It would mean that EBC finally listened to the complaints and fixed the rotor.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #6 of 18 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 7:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
Did you check it? The fit problem folks have is with the wheel not seating flat against the rotor, it rides up on the ribs of the wheel and the angled part of the rotor. Almost impossible to detect without removing the wheel and looking for the rub marks. If you did check it and everything is OK that would be good to know. It would mean that EBC finally listened to the complaints and fixed the rotor.
No rub marks, no issues with mine. That's not to say that others aren't a problem, I have no idea of the quality of EBC QC, but my limited experience is that mine fits fine.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our

<- The Boy
The Toys

2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #7 of 18 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 2:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info and the additional link to similar questions. I notice that the EBC rotor is less expensive that the OEM part, but I also notice it doesn't come with the sensor wheel attached. How do you remove the old sensor wheel and how does it reattach to the EBC rotor? Thanks for the assistance.
post #8 of 18 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 3:21 pm

My 07 LT developed the same issue last Fall. The dealer replaced the rotor under warranty with the new style. They told me it's not an "active recall" but if the owner compalins about the noise and the bike is under warranty they'll cover it. New rotor is noticeably tighter on the wheel and no more noise.
post #9 of 18 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 3:24 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrylee
Thanks for the info and the additional link to similar questions. I notice that the EBC rotor is less expensive that the OEM part, but I also notice it doesn't come with the sensor wheel attached. How do you remove the old sensor wheel and how does it reattach to the EBC rotor? Thanks for the assistance.
In some cases the ring can be pried off. On the last one I changed that was not the case. I used an 1/8 inch drill bit and drilled 8 or 10 holes in the rotor just inside the ABS ring. This released the pressure against the ring and it came off very easy. Be careful not to get to close to the rind as to drill into it. Then you can install the old ring on the new rotor by putting a piece of wood on top of the ring and tapping it on with a hammer.

Stevie Shreeve
post #10 of 18 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

You can put the inner diameter part in the freezer and the outer diameter part in the oven, then just drop the big part over the small one and wait a few minutes. This saves all the hammering, particularly nice if it's a real tight fit.

post #11 of 18 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
You can put the inner diameter part in the freezer and the outer diameter part in the oven, then just drop the big part over the small one and wait a few minutes. This saves all the hammering, particularly nice if it's a real tight fit.
This is what I did, worked like a charm. Also to get the old one off, heat the sensor ring carefully with a torch, trying to not heat the old rotor and then you can pry it off, if it won't pry off in the first place.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our

<- The Boy
The Toys

2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

post #12 of 18 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
This past Saturday a friend that owns a machine shop took my rear EBC rotor that was giving me so much trouble and machined enough material from the inside of the casing that I can now use only one shim and there is no gouging by the wheel. I can actually torque the rear wheel to spec and the wheel turns freely.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
This past Saturday a friend that owns a machine shop took my rear EBC rotor that was giving me so much trouble and machined enough material from the inside of the casing that I can now use only one shim and there is no gouging by the wheel. I can actually torque the rear wheel to spec and the wheel turns freely.
Good to know. Thanks.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #14 of 18 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 5:27 pm

If the bike is still under warranty take it to the dealer and have the rotor replaced free. Mine was driving me nuts with the clank clank. They replaced the seven rivet one with the newer 5 rivet one and no problems since.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #15 of 18 Old Jun 23rd, 2009, 7:40 pm

My '05 delivers a slight but decernible clanking from the right rear, but only as I make a tight right turn. Would this be brakes, final drive, normal, or what?
post #16 of 18 Old Jun 29th, 2009, 10:06 pm

I've had two K1200 and had the rear caliper problem on both. My 1999 year I ran out to 100K mile and BMW replaced one caliper and I replaced two. My 2005 has 80k mile and again BMW replaced the first caliper and I have replaced one and will need to replace it again soon. You are lucky if you get 30k miles on a caliper before you need to replace it. I think that I wear them out more often because I run the LA freeways where I cut traffic and use the rear brakes more. Its good to know that there are now options and I will be looking into both the ECB and BMW calipers.
post #17 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 6:36 am

EBC makes brake rotors and brake pads, but no calipers. You'll have to do the fitment work to get the old disk off the final drive hub and to get the new one on. I've had two LTs and haven't had to replace a caliper yet.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #18 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2009, 6:37 am

That would be the clanging cowbell of a loose rear brake rotor. Welcome to the herd.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in