My first LT: Comments and Questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:25 am Thread Starter

My first LT: Comments and Questions

Greetings all. I have just purchased an 01' LT w/ 53,000 miles. Having been out of the biking world for over ten years, I was both excited and intimidated by the size and complexity of the LT. It all came back to me in a short time tho and I couldn't be happier. Please indulge my observations and questions. I welcome everyone's knowledgeable opinions and thoughts.

On rough pothole repaired roads in Cleveland, it seems as if I'm bottoming out the shocks fairly easily. On smooth roads and curves it is nice, firm and planted. I have Wilbers front and rear, installed 20,000 miles ago. Any way to check them before I send them in for a rebuild (Not sure if they need it)

I didnt realize that these bikes like the RPMs. While tooling around local roads, I'm usually in 4th or 5th gear at about 2200rpm and the engine seems to miss,hesitate and stumble a bit. A little right hand attitude adjustment and the problem goes away. Should I be in a lower gear/higher RPM range or am I possibly stuck in limp mode and not knowing it? http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949

I am a large guy (6'2" 330#) and my SO is, well, Rubenesque. What is the max load capacity for riders and gear? She has not ridden with me yet as I am still acclimating myself to the characteristics of this bike. I do plan on getting (building) a trailer as we must be pushing the weight limit boundaries as it is and the extra room will be welcome on long trips.

Those are my concerns to date. The bike has been a dream so far and I have been riding in the cold and rain for the past week or so which refuses to dampen my spirit or my smile. I have been lurking on these forums for a couple of months and the wealth of knowledge and friendliness of all within is nothing short of amazing. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by Family_fun; Apr 20th, 2009 at 10:14 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:32 am

Re: My first LT: Comments and Questions

At 2200 RPM you are lugging the engine, you'll find that it behaves much better in the 3500 to 4000 rpm range and you'll need to adjust your riding habits. Max torque in the LT is reached at much higher RPM's than a V-twin - or even a Gold WIng.

Should be a sticker on the frame with the GVWR along with VIn, tire pressure, etc.

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle or trailer when loaded - i.e including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and trailer tongue weight.

On the LT your tongue weight should not be much more than 20 or 30 lbs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Apr 20th, 2009 at 8:45 am.
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:08 am

I never drop below 3000 rpm, I took me a couple of months to realize the LT had another personality above 5000 rpm, its always a thrill tickle the higher rpm's, and it always earns me a jab in the ribs when the SO is with me.

enjoy the new ride,

Ron

2008 RT
2002 LT champagne
2003 Shadow
1986 Yamaha 500
1981 Honda Twinstar

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:44 am

Talking Re: My first LT: Comments and Questions

If you look at the spec"s you will see that 4th and 5th gear are overdrive ratios. Great for the super slab at 85+ speeds, not so great on country roads and towns. I use 2nd and third gears a lot and also seem to get a longer range on a tank of gas at the lower gears and higher RPMs.
There should be a sticker in one of the side bag covers about GVW which is around 1300 lbs. IIRC

Still have original shocks at 48K miles and they still seem to do the job, though I have been told I will not believe the improvement when I do upgrade. I am not bottoming out and adjustment is a little over half setting.
use the search engine and you will find lots of wisdom on how to evaluate shock operations

Toby in New York
1983 R80RT Red (sold)
'03 R1200CLC (T-boned and replaced with)
'04 R1200CL Sidestand problem, BMW traded me for
'05 K1200LT. Goldie, Priceless
Lusting after K1600 GTL
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_fun
I have Wilbers front and rear, installed 20,000 miles ago. Any way to check them before I send them in for a rebuild (Not sure if they need it)
It's quite possible that your Wilburs will need a rebuild... or respring... It depends on the person who owned the bike before. If the springs were built for a person who rode only one up and weighed in at 200 lbs. then the springs are quite possibly inadequate for the job. That being said, at times on really rough surfaces, it will feel like the skid plates about to make contact with the road. I hope that someone with better knowledge of the Wilbur system will chime in here... or a call to a Wilburs rebuild/design shop would be a good next step.

Quote:
I didnt realize that these bikes like the RPMs. While tooling around local roads, I'm usually in 4th or 5th gear at about 2200rpm and the engine seems to miss,hesitate and stumble a bit. A little right hand attitude adjustment and the problem goes away. Should I be in a lower gear/higher RPM range or am I possibly stuck in limp mode and not knowing it? http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949
Absolutely get the R's in a higher range. This weekend we had a long conversation about running the girl in higher gears while working up a twistie mountain road. In short... we all agreed... DON'T! Like someone else said here... She's a whole different girl up in the 5 and above range...

Quote:
Those are my concerns to date. The bike has been a dream so far and I have been riding in the cold and rain for the past week or so which refuses to dampen my spirit or my smile. I have been lurking on these forums for a couple of months and the wealth of knowledge and friendliness of all within is nothing short of amazing. Thank you all for your time.
One other thing... If your new to this girl, find an empty parking lot and practice slow (i.e. less than 5 miles per hour) speed maneuvers, panic stops, 2nd gear starts (trust me, it happens), evasive maneuvers. Once your comfortable, do it all again two up. The experience you gain will return in safe riding experiences four fold. Or try and take the ERC two up.

Welcome to the asylum... Have fun... and keep us all appraised as to how she goes...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #6 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Congrats on your new ride! I +1 on everything that has already been said! This bike is great, she has lots of personality! Don't cross her, or you will be sorry! There are MANY idiosyncrasies with the LT, and information is your friend! READ READ READ all that you can in the Hall of Wisdom. There is so much to learn!

Most of all enjoy her! Keep us informed, and ask away! Someone here has either had the problem or question and can give the the answer right away, or they are pretty [email protected]D good at making something up!

Enjoy!

Scott

2008 Concours
St. Louis MO
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 6:45 pm

Actually, for someone of my age, the second gear start is hardly any different from the one in first gear. Given my absentmindness, however, I've been my refining my third gear starts when I do my parking lot drills.
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:20 pm

Congrats on your purchase. Being a new LT owner myself, I had some of the same questions. Mine also came with Wilber's. Regarding the Wilbers, I had along discussion with Klaus Huenecke of EMP Performance ([email protected]). EMP is what used to be Wilber's NA. He was a wealth of information. It depends on which particular model you happen to have, but most are custom made for you and your SO. When you order the shocks, you tell them your weight, the weight of your passenger, and what ride height you want. The shocks are then built for you to your specs. If your shocks allow, they can be rebuilt to new specs. I have the same issue in reverse. The PO was much bigger than I and passengers. So I plan to send them in for a rebuild this winter and to have them reset for my weight and ride height. Hope this helps. Good luck and just try to wipe the smile off your face whenever you ride her. The pleebs get jealous!

2001 Pacific Blue K1200LT
1994 Yamaha Virago 750
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahorst
I have the same issue in reverse. The PO was much bigger than I and passengers. So I plan to send them in for a rebuild this winter and to have them reset for my weight and ride height. Hope this helps. Good luck and just try to wipe the smile off your face whenever you ride her. The pleebs get jealous!

Har Har, maybe we could just swap them, even up! Thanks for the info, I will call and check his turnaround time but will probably hold off till next winter.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 9:33 pm

If the engine don't whine, its in the wrong gear...

Gosh can she sing, since I have been listening to the people in here, I too was once a ... a... jeeeze... a lugger..
I didnt want to be, but I Didnt know better. Now I do.

All the bikes get the 4K run as a minimum.. But I also find myself slipping to dang near redlines...

HooooooYah

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #11 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 7:27 am Thread Starter

First of all, I would like to thank you for your comments and suggestions. You have all made me feel very comfortable and welcome in this group.

One more thing I'd like to question you about, when I first start the bike up, the idle hops around, idles rough and I can smell a lot of gas. Seems like it's running way to rich. Is this normal? It seems to sort itself out after 4-5 minutes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in