BMW Cupholder - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:11 pm Thread Starter

BMW Cupholder

I know BMW has to state for legal reasons that you cannot ride with a drink in their cupholder. My question is: Can you safely ride while carrying a mug in the cup holder? Is it strictly a straightaway convenience or twisties too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:15 pm

I have had no problems with mugs, just be sure you get one that fits well. I have had near empty water bottles float away with no dangerous side effects. I suppose if you bounced a bottle off a hot tempered drivers car it could start a road rage issue.
post #3 of 5 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Nah, works fine, did a month on the road with a mug there the whole time.
Empty plastic bottles do blow out.

post #4 of 5 Old Jan 20th, 2006, 11:12 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevada
.... Is it strictly a straightaway convenience or twisties too?
If it fits well, then twisties are not a problem. When I'm using a Gatorade plastic bottle and it's empty I'll slide it into my coat to make sure it doesn't pop out and make me a litterer. The bottle either doesn't have cap, or I've cut a straw hole in the cap, so if I should crash against it there shouldn't be too much resistance.....knock on wood.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:44 am

i've had a styrofoam cup--empty except for some tobaccy juice and a cud or two in it and have been on the expressway at about 80 with it. it's ridden pretty well the whole way and it's about the lightest thing i can imagine sitting in there next to an empty plastic water bottle....

I suppose if this cup-o-gross-juice flies off--especially on a warm day when car windows might be all the way down--i'll have some exciting evasion maneuvers to perform as i race to avoid tobacco-spit covered homicidal maniacs, but so far, it hasn't budged.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in