satellite radio to the aux? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

satellite radio to the aux?

i have the radio off the bike and wondering ....do i have to order a special wire for the aux to run my sat ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:46 pm
Banned

Re: satellite radio to the aux?

I would suggest a 3.5 male end to a 3.5 male end "Monster" cable. I have used the Monster brand cable as this one offers superior shielding. The 6' cable should do the trick.

Good Luck.
post #3 of 9 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 11:45 pm

If you are using sirius you wont need a cable. The sat radio transmits fm freq. just choose appropriate freq on radio and there you go. I have sat with no direct connections to radio. Works fine.

Tom

2004 K1200LT Silver

post #4 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 6:26 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgttj
If you are using sirius you wont need a cable. The sat radio transmits fm freq. just choose appropriate freq on radio and there you go. I have sat with no direct connections to radio. Works fine.
One big problem with that is as you travel and get in a area that has a strong radio station on that channel you WILL loose satellite reception. It a real pain to try to find a open channel on the fly.I use an FM antenna hard wire on the bike & the Aux. plug in my truck. Both work great.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:14 am

Maybe I am lucky but I have had sat radio in a least one of my vehicles for the past number of years and have never come across the need to change freq on radio. The sirius radios come with an external ae for transmitting the signal, so if you put this as close to radio as you can there is almost no chance of interference.

Tom

2004 K1200LT Silver
post #6 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 6:19 pm

When I went to put my Sirius Sportster 5 on my bike the Sirius people recommended that I either use the the direct AUX connection or the direct to the FM antenna electronic switch input. They have reduced the output signal strength of their new radios because of "bleed over" problems to nearby vehicles at stop light. I have the bike setup for
AUX and the car with the direct to the FM antenna lead. The inline box switches off the antenna input and injects the sirius signal in on a user preset input. Both work very well.

Mike
06 K1200 LT
01 Corvette Conv (RED)
BMWMOA # 128948
IBA #19196
post #7 of 9 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 11:36 pm

Just installed XM XPRESSez on my 2009 LT. Installed mounting bracket on the brake reservoir. I ran all wires under the R/H handle bar covers. I tie-wrapped the power converter under the instrument panel top cover. Just be sure it won't get snagged when the wind screen move up or down. I picked up power from the map light. To plug into the AUX port I removed the R/H Tupperware and threaded the cable across the R/H side of the fuel tank. With the Tupperware off the R/H side you can see the R/H rear side of the oddments box. I then drilled a hole from the outside of the box and slid the cable inside. Plugs right in. Probably spent about 2 hours taking my time. I love my satellite radio!

2011 CVO FLTRUSE
post #8 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 5:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILBERT40
I would suggest a 3.5 male end to a 3.5 male end "Monster" cable. I have used the Monster brand cable as this one offers superior shielding. The 6' cable should do the trick.

Good Luck.

+1

If you have a tank bag, you can throw the radio in the bag and mount or lay the antenae on top of the bag.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 5:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
One big problem with that is as you travel and get in a area that has a strong radio station on that channel you WILL loose satellite reception. It a real pain to try to find a open channel on the fly.I use an FM antenna hard wire on the bike & the Aux. plug in my truck. Both work great.

Now that I have the BMR and not using the aux, IT IS A PAIN to look for another station whilst trucking down the highway, not to mention it is dangerous!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in