Clunky gear box - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 1:21 pm Thread Starter

Clunky gear box

Hi after a while! Could I ask for your opinion?

In the last 500/600 miles or so the gear box has become more clunky, mainly when hot. I have changed the gear box oil( I found some metal in the magnet but I smeared onto a piece paper leaving only a greyish "tatoo"), but has not made any difference. Probably more noticeable upshifting than downshifting, and perhaps with a degree of difficulty from 4th to 5th gear and a bit less 3rd to 4, but does not fail to shift. Is this sort of normal or is is a possible sign of impending problem?

I am off for a 600mile trip next friday, hence my concern. Any opinion will be much appreciated. Regards, Andoni

K1200LT '00
Honda Silverwing fjs600
ST1300 Pan European
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 1:34 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Clunky gear box

Quote:
Originally Posted by andoni
Hi after a while! Could I ask for your opinion?

In the last 500/600 miles or so the gear box has become more clunky, mainly when hot. I have changed the gear box oil( I found some metal in the magnet but I smeared onto a piece paper leaving only a greyish "tatoo"), but has not made any difference. Probably more noticeable upshifting than downshifting, and perhaps with a degree of difficulty from 4th to 5th gear and a bit less 3rd to 4, but does not fail to shift. Is this sort of normal or is is a possible sign of impending problem?

I am off for a 600mile trip next friday, hence my concern. Any opinion will be much appreciated. Regards, Andoni
First thing I would check is the shift linkage. If the linkage is a little loose or not well greased it will effect shifting. Take it all apart , clean & grease it good then reinstall.

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 13 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 9:17 pm

I am having the same problem. I did a trip from Phoenix AZ to San Antonio TX with no trouble. After a few days of rest I went for a ride and found that shifting was much more notchy. Still shifts fine but does not slide into gear nearly as easy.

What oil did you use in transmission. I am told by my dealer that going from dino oil to synthetic can cure this somewhat. I am sure there is someone out there who can tell us the pros and cons of which oil can best tame the transmission: Amsoil, BMW syn, Mobil 1 ect...

Last edited by SteveL; Apr 20th, 2009 at 1:05 am.

post #4 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 6:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL
I am having the same problem. I did a trip from Phoenix AZ to San Antonio TX with no trouble. After a few days of rest I went for a ride and found that shifting was much more notchy. Still shifts fine but does not slide into gear nearly as easy.

What oil did you use in transmission. I am told by my dealer that going from dino oil to synthetic can cure this somewhat. I am sure there is someone out there who can tell us the pros and cons of which oil can best tame the transmission: Amsoil, BMW syn, Mobil 1 ect...
Going from Dino to Synthetic will help but do not do it till you have at least 18,000 miles on the bike (this from my dealer) as far as brand goes , any major brand will work. I have used Valvoline 75W-140 for over 30,000 miles.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 6:48 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Going from Dino to Synthetic will help but do not do it till you have at least 18,000 miles on the bike (this from my dealer) as far as brand goes , any major brand will work. I have used Valvoline 75W-140 for over 30,000 miles.
what reason did the dealer give you for waiting till 18,000 mi?
john
post #6 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 6:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjohn55
what reason did the dealer give you for waiting till 18,000 mi?
john
They said that seals tend to leak if you change to synthetic to early. I'm not a engineer by any stretch of the imagination and can't tell you why but they said to wait so I did and have not had any problems.

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 8:34 am

If seals leak, why are many new cars delivered from the factory with synthetic oil? The old wives tale used to be that the rings won't seat, not enough friction.

I believe your dealer was referring to the engine break-in time not the tranny. I changed my 99 RT to synthetic in diff, trans and engine at 6,000 mi. Never had any problems and the second owner says it's still going strong. Transmissions and rear drives don't have a "break-in" time; they just begin to wear out sort of like our bodies.

I'd bet on the shift linkage needing lube.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Bruce
post #8 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 2:59 pm

My dealer said the same thing but he quoted 20,000 miles before switching to Synthetic oil saying that the bike needed 20,000 miles to complete the break in period before ANY synthetic oil should be used in the engine, trans, or FD. I agree with you, the idea that a trans, with a dry clutch, or the FD need a break in period before going to Synthetic oil seems....off?
post #9 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 3:40 pm

I had nearly the EXACT problem with mine. I had to use SO much pressure to upshift, it seemed like something was wrong. I switched to Valvoline Synthetic 75/140 I think it is. I change about every 6K or so. Shifts are SO much better.

As for waiting to change to synthetic, I don't believe it makes any difference in the tranny. There isn't any break in, I'm not sure what or why waiting would accomplish. But then again, I am not an engineer, and I DON'T PLAY ONE ON TV either!

Scott

2008 Concours
St. Louis MO
post #10 of 13 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 4:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
I thought the recommendation to wait to change to synthetic oil until 18k was for the engine. Changing to synthetic in the engine can cause problems with the rings not seating correctly if memory serves. In 2004 Lone Star put synthetic oil in the transmission of my '03 LT during the 12k service. Lubing the shift linkage had a much greater affect on shifting than did the synthetic oil. jm2cw.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old Apr 28th, 2009, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Just returned from a lovely incident free 700miles trip of twisties, but today 3 miles from home the gear shift linkage broke! Managed to put her in 3rd gear and arrive home safely. So probably you were right, the shift linkage was the culprit. I will let you know how the gear change feels after this is repaired

K1200LT '00
Honda Silverwing fjs600
ST1300 Pan European
post #12 of 13 Old May 23rd, 2009, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Replaced with new Shift linkage now but the same problem persists. Gear change is smoother in cold than when hot. More noticeable 4th to 5th gear and with a more "clasping" sound downshifting. Never fails to engage but I dont find it enjoyable. Somebody has suggested to use 75W-140 synt. but reading other oil threads some would disagree. Any relation with clutch?

K1200LT '00
Honda Silverwing fjs600
ST1300 Pan European
post #13 of 13 Old May 23rd, 2009, 6:33 pm

Changed all the oils to synthetic at the first service interval. No problems anywhere.

Transmission has always been a little clunky, synthetic helped a little.

Got no idea where someone came up with running them for a while before changing to synthetic oils.

I regularly stay at Holiday Inns.

Would be nice if it would stop raining so I could get a ride in.

B D R

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in