My apprehensive pillion passenger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 8:07 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

My apprehensive pillion passenger

I'm putting out a call to any passenger wives who were tentative or just flat scared to death upon climbing onto the back of an LT. Mine use to ride with me, but, that was 3 grown children and 39 yrs ago. I have no horror crash stories to tell but I think fear sets in (rightfully so) as we ripen. Can someones fearful riding partner help me reopen the door?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 11:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: My apprehensive pillion passenger

My wife was that way. She is looking over the shoulder as I write this telling me what to write because she hates computers. After the first couple of rides, it was all ok in the local area down here in the swamp but she was scared to death of the planned trip to Colorado. She was especially scared of Ratone Pass. After the first turn coming down the pass on the Colorado side I asked how she was doing, and she said OK. In the middle of the second turn, she said, this is fun. Going into the third turn, she said you can speed up now (I was doing the speed limit of 65 mph at the time). When we took a trip to the big island, we rented Harleys (no BMWs for rent on Kona) and spent two weeks including going over the saddle. From she who must be obeyed, start out slow, riding with friends to breakfast or lunch, just a few miles out and back. Then a couple of day trips, followed by a road trip with lots of mountains.
post #3 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 1:18 am

My solution turned out to be a two parter.

My wife hasn't ridden with me since high school on my Honda CL 160 with snuff or nots!). Way too dangerous and she hates to lean. She's the same way in a boat with 3ft of freeboard.

Rode the Oregon 250 with one of my co-workers who happens to be 26 years old and beautiful! We're both 52. No big deal I just wanted to have a passenger for the trip. That kind of got her considering riding with me and the clincher was flding the 2001 K1200 LT with a Hannigan sidecar. She went to the dealer with me and REALLY liked the rig.

So for me and my wife of 33 years will be slooow, short, and simple. Will not try to fly the sidecar on this first ride! . Needless to say I am ecstatic about having her join me in one very important part of my life.

Best of luck to you! I know how important this is to you.

Loren

WAK1200LT
Loren

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 3:20 am

Co-worker, 26 yoa, and beautiful...........you be one lucky man..........

John
Florida
2004 BMW R1150R Black
Contact me 4 motor training 1&1
Expert witness in motorcycle crash reconstruction (Contact me)
post #5 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 7:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
Rode the Oregon 250 with one of my co-workers who happens to be 26 years old and beautiful!
Is said co-worker married? I need to find someone to ride with.

Neil '00 K1200LT '08 KLR
"Far away, is far away...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Only if you don't go!!!"
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 9:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman587
Co-worker, 26 yoa, and beautiful...........you be one lucky man..........
Loren is also lucky to have such a secure wife. My wife wouldn't have a problem with me doing something like this, but I think most wives would.

Kevin
'06 K1200LT
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:26 am

My wife had issues much like yours when she started riding my R1100RT. Her issue was that she felt trapped on the back of the bike. She had never ridden a bike with a top trunk and saddle bags. She had some crazy idea that if we encountered some kind of difficulty and we needed to bail-out and get off the bike quickly she would not be able to do so. One thing that made things worse was the fact that my R1100RT has the oversized saddle bag lids which are HUGE and stick out quite a distance.

When she started riding my LT she felt much better because the LT saddle bag lids have a more integrated line which make it easy to get on...and off. The LT added a new issue, a higher seat height and a higher center of gravity. I road as many back roads with gentle sweeping curves as I could to acclimatize her to the ride geometry of the bike. Last week I almost dropped the bike when she was trying to get on, that set her comfort level back a bit?

You may also look into getting an intercom system if you do not have one, talking while riding can help calm things, you can tell her what you intend to do before you do it so no surprises.

Just give it time. I think riding the gentle sweeping back roads on beautiful days is the best medicine.
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 1:41 pm

Yesterday we took our first ride together since the '60's, in high school.
Since the beginning of the month I've been getting used to the LT, wanting to be sure I was ready to have my wife on the passenger seat. We discussed the obvious rules, and she mounted up behind me.
I planned a route out that would not require turning around in narrow confines or starting off at up-hill lights etc., and off we went. At the first stop sign I was surprised to find that the bike felt more stable with two than with one up. We rode for half an hour, stopped and dismounted/remounted, and I concentrated on keeping my shifts as smooth as possible.

Only one helmet clunk- there is lots of room back there! I must admit I returned home with increased confidence, and she was pleased with the smooth ride and comfortable seating etc.. She leaned with me and we had a ball.
I still have to get the intercom working (need a cable or two) which will add to the experience.

As the weather improves, I can see a ride to the cottage being a first longish ride (3 hours up) for us. I had my tires at 43/46, but didn't make any adjustment to the shock. This LT is super smooth with two up, and quickly helped erase her memories of little Suzukis or the Ducati of yesteryear.
post #9 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 6:29 pm

Clearly, its your fault. It is important for you to find a place of solace and reflect on your past behavior. What is it you have done to erode the trust and faith your SO once had in you??? Only you will know the truth.

However, never admit it and flowers often help.
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 19th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahabit
I'm putting out a call to any passenger wives who were tentative or just flat scared to death upon climbing onto the back of an LT. Mine use to ride with me, but, that was 3 grown children and 39 yrs ago. I have no horror crash stories to tell but I think fear sets in (rightfully so) as we ripen. Can someones fearful riding partner help me reopen the door?
Just take it slow - she'll get used to it, if she whats to. My wife was ready and willing to get back on after our kids left the nest; it did take her a few rides to get used to it - I just took it slow - now she loves the twisties!

I see you're in Vacaville - check out our list of rides at http://www.expressoriders.org/interest.htm and get her out with a group that almost always includes pillions. A great group of friends of all ages, mostly couples.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 12:49 am

You guys are right! I am lucky to have an understanding wife! After 30+ years of marriage I guerss you don't worry so much about that hanky-panky type stuff.

It was with great interest that I read the post about someones wife loving to ride the twisties. I am no road racer by any means but like most folks I LOVE the twisties. Slow and as upright as possible once she's comfortable trying a ride without the sidecar, if it ever happens. If it doesn't and she'll ride on back with the dog in the sidecar then what the heck. I can live with that too. Mile after mile after mile. Tunes playing, keester and fingers warm, coffee and decent, not fast food, type food in the sidecar being guarded by Bullethead. Well so much for the good food in the sidecar!

BTW Ironbutt, she has a very nice young male friend. Probably a lot more suited to her than us senior citizens!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 2:45 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

I thank each and all for your replies. We did get out, with your help, for 1 1/2 miles in a 1/4 mile arc around our neighborhood. Had only one sketchy lean at a stop, but it went unnoticed.
Yes BigGeo, I do have a cluttered past. But that was long ago, and this is the new me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in