K1200LT Trunk Latch Replacement - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 80 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 2:30 pm Thread Starter

K1200LT Trunk Latch Replacement

My K1200LT trunk latch hadle broke recenly. The dealership says the entire trunk has to be replaced costing just over $1000 dollars with labor. Is there any way to replace just the latch handle?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 80 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 2:48 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Re: K1200LT Trunk Latch Replacement

Yes there is a simpler and far less costly solution. Think it's a $250 +/- touch. Someone here will have the exact link for you I'm sure.
Share it with whatever dealer told you it was a $1,000 new trunk. The turkey !!
Keir
post #3 of 80 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 4:49 pm

http://www.lttrunklatch.com/

post #4 of 80 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:32 am

Is it just me or is $300+ for a "latch" and obscene amount to pay. Not even going to comment on the BMW alternative
post #5 of 80 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 10:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigH501

Is it just me or is $300+ for a "latch" and obscene amount to pay. Not even going to comment on the BMW alternative
I just bought one and thought the same thing before the kit arrived. Once you see all the parts that had to be engineered to work as a replacement, and the quality of the billet latch itself you will understand. don't forget that this isn't something he can sell thousands of, so he needs to recoup his R&D costs through a small number of units.

IMHO it is well worth the price and will be the last latch on your LT.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 80 Old Apr 20th, 2009, 11:40 am

I spent the day putting a new latch in my 09LT. No, it hadn't broken, this was preventative. The electric lock makes it a bit more complicated. There is a little sliding mechanism that is not present on the non-electric models. The latch I got didn't account for this. I used an angle grinder to make the adjustment. If anyone is making the swap on a newer model be sure to stipulate electric lock when ordering. The engineers at BMW really knocked themselves out looking for complicated solutions to fairly simple problems. Of course that's not limited to the latch!! Stock up on E-clips. Those suckers will disappear like no tomorrow. I think a couple of mine launched into orbit.

Scott
2009 LT
post #7 of 80 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 8:38 am

BigH501: Designing, Programming, Machining, Finishing, Packaging, and generating Instructions was a huge effort. All speculative, all my time and my money. This thing is machined from solid material.

Further, when I recently found out about the change in Latch Handle color that occurred in 2005, I put good effort into matching the color and using Ditzler Deltron Base-Coat/Clear-Coat paint for a durable finish that matches the OEM. I was also made aware of the electric locking feature (Central Locking System, or CLS) and spent considerable effort to accommodate this and made new instructions to include this.

The profit margin is slim on this product! When the 100 kits are gone, I likely won't produce more. If it was hugely profitable, I surely would.

I batted emails back and forth with a guy here who was also appalled at the price. He went on to ask me what my "marketing survey" had found prior to undertaking this business. "SAY WHAT??"

V Rod Pete: It was a pleasure doing business with you, thanks!

Big pile of aluminum before machining (Over 3 years ago):
post #8 of 80 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 9:23 am

A few years ago, when Evan had his workshop at his house down the street and around a few corners from me, I visited with him for a bit. My gawd, what a set-up. Just the room cooling monster wuz impressive, let alone the water delivery system that is needed at the CNC milling machine. And the machine!!! Just blew me away.

And then to see the CAD program that Evan developed for the trunk latch machining process, along with the HUGE CNC machine that turned out the nearly finished product, wuz equally mind boggling. After leaving Evan's house, I thought to myself, there is no way to make any money from this endeavor. And, to this day, I think I thought right!!! Butt, here he is - doing it for the love of doing it (and he doesn't even own an LT!!!). Amazing. I guess owning one of the few machines in the country that is capable of doing what Evan does (in addition to the trunk latch work), you need to keep it busy somehow. I imagine Mike, another forum member and producer of a trunk latch repair kit, knows ed zachery what it takes, also!!!

Evan no longer lives down the street and around a few corners; having since moved east to Houston. I suspect that is partially due to his potential bidness with NASA, where he has been very successful in conquering more than one of their demands for some sort of filtering panels for...... hell, I don't know what it's for!!! I just couldn't believe you could drill 90 gazillion holes in a piece of thin metal that small in size!!! (A tale for another thread sometime!).

My belief is the forum members here have greatly benefitted having both Evan and Mike as manufacturers, producers, and vendors of a product that fulfills the needs of those members who have had their trunk latch fail, and who found the solution offered by the OEM manufacturer less than ideal and difficult to stomach. Granted that the failure rate is small in comparison to the total numbers of units in use, it still begs the question "what were they thinking?"!!! If the tailgate latch on ole Tundra fails, I sure hope I don't have to buy a whole new bed as the fix!!!

Thanks, Evan and Mike. BTW, ole Toad's latch is still doing well, and has a very good prognosis for staying so in the future!! That Ft. Worth rack almost guarantees it!!
post #9 of 80 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 3:44 pm

Cool Re: K1200LT Trunk Latch Replacement

BilletsGalore: I apologize. I did not realize the work that went into your latch replacement. I stand corrected.

I guess I just reacted to the price on something so small and "apparently" simple costing that much $$

Have you tried marketing your design and mfg process directly to BMW to see if they might consider replacing the latch on new production bikes ?
post #10 of 80 Old Apr 21st, 2009, 6:02 pm

Angry Re: K1200LT Trunk Latch Replacement

Quote:
BilletsGalore: I apologize. I did not realize the work that went into your latch replacement. I stand corrected.

I guess I just reacted to the price on something so small and "apparently" simple costing that much $$

Have you tried marketing your design and mfg process directly to BMW to see if they might consider replacing the latch on new production bikes ?
Never gonna happen. BMW so far refuses to admit there is a problem. And we can't force a recall 'cause it's not a dangerous failure.
post #11 of 80 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 2:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
The profit margin is slim on this product! When the 100 kits are gone, I likely won't produce more.
Please don't stop ! ! !
post #12 of 80 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:22 am

BigH501: No problem! Hey it's all free enterprise! If you don't like it, don't buy it! No sweat!

Dick: Thanks for the kind words! It was great meeting Dick! He's every bit as friendly and hospitable in person as he is here, on this forum!

Ahh, I recall the stuff I did for the New Horizons mission to Pluto. I produced exactly 5 parts for the SWAP (Solar Wind Around Pluto) scientific instrument. VERY difficult! Four of the parts were electrostatic grids that I built from solid 7" aluminum chunks. Machined to .015 inch thickness, I then drilled 99,820 holes in each one (there were 4 of these!)! The holes are .0135 inch diameter with connective material between each hole being only .0015 inches! The resulting mesh is 90% open! And the assembly had to withstand 45 g's of vibration on the "vibe table". If anything went wrong during the drilling, it was a complete re-do! And yes, there were some re-do's!

That was THE most stressful project I've EVER done! I almost strangled the client!! The spaceship is 1/3 of the way to Pluto and will be there in 2015. It is traveling VERY fast, 43,000 mph for 9 years!

Last edited by BilletsGalore; Apr 22nd, 2009 at 8:57 am.
post #13 of 80 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:35 am

I have to say, the real issue here is BMW's lack of commitment to quality! They did not just start making motorcycles and cars last week. I am not very knowledge about the quality of material they used for the latch however, anyone I have talked with that is, tells me immediately that it is low quality metal. It seems to me there is a couple of issues with the LT series. One is the latch, and the other is the radio. And come on $1,000.00 + for a hole new trunk when all you need is a $5.00 latch!

The gentleman that made the replacement latch has a tremendous amount of time and effort invested and his price is VERY reasonable. But BMW makes MILLIONS of parts, not TENS of parts. Their cost and ability as a global manufacturer should be much lower and the pieces should be able to be separated and sold item by item and not as a unit. If the latch on my Murano breaks, I don't buy a whole new back door.

BMW needs to step up and recognize their design flaw and issue a recall. Be fully committed to quality.

Now that I have vented, what are our options to address BMW. Anyone know someone at USA Corporate that I can call or write?
post #14 of 80 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:17 am

I agree that the quality of the original latch isn't good enough. I see part of the problem being a way too complicated latch system. There is no advantage I can see in making a simple latch so complicated.

Scott
2009 LT
post #15 of 80 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:52 am
Gold Supporter

I have a question for all of you who have experienced trunk latch replacement. When "Messenger 13", aka Joe Paulsey visited me in 2006, while he was on a trip (CCR), he advised me to simply push down on the carriage rack firmly enough to drop the rear tire to the ground and then close the latch. I had previously filed the rough edges off the latch arms. I never open or close the trunk w/o depressing the cover and have inspected and periodicalloy lubed the entire mechanism, inspected same for wear and see no issue.

Is it possible that a considerable of failures is due to not depressing the trunk cover before using the latch? Thanks for any comments.

Terry
post #16 of 80 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:30 pm

There are those who have done the modifications and been very careful and STILL had failure! There are some who will tell you that it's going to break regardless. Hmm.

On the subject of material and/or design, I'm of the opinion that the die-cast zinc alloy used for the latch isn't the source of the trouble. If you study the OEM handle, you'll notice that the region that breaks "hooks" around to the thin section. The major loads are actually quite close to each other in proximity. My design has solid material between the handle pivot location and the actuating location.

I'm pretty sure that the OEM "hooks" around due to the way they designed their die-casting process. I'm pretty sure theirs isn't inline because their retracting dies would interfere.

The issue is more about design than it is material. It is true that there's better material, though. The OEM latch handle is heavy at 430 grams (almost 1 lb), whereas my machined unit is only 187 grams.
post #17 of 80 Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:33 pm

Quote:
BilletsGalore: I apologize.
Accepted. Gladly accepted! If you had called me on the phone and told me you thought the price was high, I would have tied you up on the phone telling you what a GREAT deal you're getting! You're lucky you didn't have to endure that speech.....It's all good!....
post #18 of 80 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 9:35 pm

My left trunk latch broke off about a year, ago.
The right trunk latch broke two Saturdays, ago.

Jon Ross, the Service Manager at Capitol BMW in Raleigh
was willing to rebuild my latch,
but as I thought about it,
we'd be using the same parts that I expect will also eventually fail.

So, I ordered the replacement kit from Evan @ http://www.lttrunklatch.com/
Just put it in, today.

Quality workmanship, everything fit as designed.
Thought I'd pass on some lessons learned.

Tools required:

Add: T10 Torx wrench
Itís not on the tool list in the front of the instruction manual.
Itís in the diagram near the end of the manual.
Youíll need it to remove the lock assembly.

E-clips. Small, little SOBs that are easy to get lost.
You'll have a couple left over from the disassembly.
Keep them little suckers.
You may need them.

Lay out all the parts,
then dry assemble the entire latch
before you assemble with Loctite.

When disassembling the Latch Hook Assembly,
after you use the Dremel tool cutting head to cut off the ends,
lightly tap the inside of the latch hook (toward the outside)
to detach the latch hook from the cross member.
Even with the ends cut off,
the cross member will not push through the holder.

Recommend that you always push down on the trunk lid
before opening or closing the latch.
Less stress on the latch mechanism and the locking pins on the lid.

I have 96,000 miles on my "01 LT.
Not planning to get rid of it any time, soon.
Cost of ownership and better than $1000 for buying another trunk bottom.
post #19 of 80 Old May 21st, 2009, 4:52 am

Living close to Evan, I have spoken to him a few times over the last couple of months while he has been developing his "Fix It Before It Breaks" kit for the trunk latch. He's really enthusiastic about his products and goes to great lengths to make sure that they work.

He has finally completed the kit and I now have one installed on my 2008 LT. Installation took less than 30 minutes and it could have been done in a lot less than that if I hadn't been asking him questions. The billet, strenthening arms, etc, slid into place and were secured with the bolts without having to remove anything from the LT apart from the 2 small e-clips. He has pictures of the kit on his website: http://www.lttrunklatch.com/. It was a really simple installation.

I'll still continue to push down on the trunk lid whenever I'm opening or closing it - old habits die hard - but I don't ever expect to have a broken latch.

Dave

2008 K1200LT Biarritz Blue
2004 K1200RS Capri Blue

post #20 of 80 Old May 21st, 2009, 3:19 pm

Dave, thanks so much for letting me color-match the silver-gold color of the 2005-and-later handles, and thank you very much for allowing me to study your bike and use it as a guinea pig for testing this new product! Y'all are hardcore bikers (they've got 'rolling stock' and they ride 'em!).....You've been very accommodating, THANKS!

And Dave has THE FIRST and ONLY "Fix It BEFORE It Breaks" kit in the whole universe! Revel in it quickly, as I'm fixing to sell the heck outta these things! The website is coming along VERY WELL today! Gonna get it done! 54 kits, ready to go!
post #21 of 80 Old May 21st, 2009, 10:00 pm

I just ordered my 'Fix it before it breaks kit". I will post after I get it and install it.
post #22 of 80 Old May 22nd, 2009, 5:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Dave, thanks so much for letting me color-match the silver-gold color of the 2005-and-later handles, and thank you very much for allowing me to study your bike and use it as a guinea pig for testing this new product! Y'all are hardcore bikers (they've got 'rolling stock' and they ride 'em!).....You've been very accommodating, THANKS!

And Dave has THE FIRST and ONLY "Fix It BEFORE It Breaks" kit in the whole universe! Revel in it quickly, as I'm fixing to sell the heck outta these things! The website is coming along VERY WELL today! Gonna get it done! 54 kits, ready to go!
That is a nice looking solution. I'm not buying one now as my warranty still has a year left, but I will likely be back next year this time assuming you are still selling the kit. I would suspect this would be a popular offering.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #23 of 80 Old May 23rd, 2009, 8:00 pm

I just ordered the replacement latch kit from Evan Guy Enterprises for $360 plus $15 shipping. The latch handle on my friends 2002 K1200LTC just broke in the top RH corner while on loan to me for the weekend. I guess I wasn't using the proper latching technique. I noticed the pot metal looks very thin in the area of the break. Very poor design for a high end product. After reading some of the other posts, it doesn't appear BMW has bothered to correct the problem on the later models.

JB
'99 R1100 RT
post #24 of 80 Old May 24th, 2009, 7:57 am

Roblee55, I'm finishing up the instructions, I have 9 of the new products shipping on Tuesday, Thanks!

Voyager, thanks! I'll be around here next year, no sweat.

JBeaver, so sorry to hear of the failure on a borrowed bike, that's a bummer! Got your payment, I've got you down for a black unit, not having the CLS (central locking system)...I'll ship it on Tuesday. Thank you...
post #25 of 80 Old May 24th, 2009, 8:27 am

Quote:
Roblee55, I'm finishing up the instructions, I have 9 of the new products shipping on Tuesday, Thanks!
Hopefully one of those is for me?
post #26 of 80 Old May 24th, 2009, 8:51 am

Yes sir! Tomorrow, Monday is a national holiday here, so the post office will not be open....Thanks for your order!
post #27 of 80 Old May 24th, 2009, 9:56 am

Excellent!

post #28 of 80 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 4:46 pm

Hi everyone
I bought the "FixBeforeItBreaks" from this website: http://www.lttrunklatch.com/
There were about 5 kits left before I bought it. I used paypal to pay for the product and receivee the kit after 3 days.
My latch already broke on the right side (looking forward from the back). I wanted to buy the "Billet Aluminum Replacement LT Trunk Latch Handle Kit" but it was out of stock.

I studied the original latch design from pictures on http://www.lttrunklatch.com/ and thought that I still could used the "FixBeforeItBreaks".

I got the kit yesterday and installed it right after I got home from work. It seems to work great. I m quite happy with it. I highly recommend this product to other K1200LT owners.
I didn't have to remove the latch & liner from trunk when installing the kit. Be prepare to spend at least 1 hour to 1.3 hour for this job.
I will add some pictures later.
I think BMW over engineered the latch. I will try to file down the the locking levers to reduce the force required to lock the top case down. Hopefully, that will help prolong the life of the latch.
post #29 of 80 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 7:07 pm

I have about 70k miles on a 2005 lt and not had a problem. What is breaking, the pins that the hooks pull down on, the handle or what? Somewhere on this forum, someone noted that overloading the topcase and forcing the latch to close is a bad thing to do. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Just trying to get a clarification of the problem. I know BMW does not make replacement latches available to dealers. Too bad for BMW, cause if it breaks within 3 years, guess what, a new topcase on them. It is good to know there is a supplier for latches that seems to do the trick. Mine is well past factory warranty.

Ultra LT
post #30 of 80 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
A few years ago, when Evan had his workshop at his house down the street and around a few corners from me, I visited with him for a bit. My gawd, what a set-up. Just the room cooling monster wuz impressive, let alone the water delivery system that is needed at the CNC milling machine. And the machine!!! Just blew me away.

And then to see the CAD program that Evan developed for the trunk latch machining process, along with the HUGE CNC machine that turned out the nearly finished product, wuz equally mind boggling. After leaving Evan's house, I thought to myself, there is no way to make any money from this endeavor. And, to this day, I think I thought right!!! Butt, here he is - doing it for the love of doing it (and he doesn't even own an LT!!!). Amazing. I guess owning one of the few machines in the country that is capable of doing what Evan does (in addition to the trunk latch work), you need to keep it busy somehow. I imagine Mike, another forum member and producer of a trunk latch repair kit, knows ed zachery what it takes, also!!!

Evan no longer lives down the street and around a few corners; having since moved east to Houston. I suspect that is partially due to his potential bidness with NASA, where he has been very successful in conquering more than one of their demands for some sort of filtering panels for...... hell, I don't know what it's for!!! I just couldn't believe you could drill 90 gazillion holes in a piece of thin metal that small in size!!! (A tale for another thread sometime!).

My belief is the forum members here have greatly benefitted having both Evan and Mike as manufacturers, producers, and vendors of a product that fulfills the needs of those members who have had their trunk latch fail, and who found the solution offered by the OEM manufacturer less than ideal and difficult to stomach. Granted that the failure rate is small in comparison to the total numbers of units in use, it still begs the question "what were they thinking?"!!! If the tailgate latch on ole Tundra fails, I sure hope I don't have to buy a whole new bed as the fix!!!

Thanks, Evan and Mike. BTW, ole Toad's latch is still doing well, and has a very good prognosis for staying so in the future!! That Ft. Worth rack almost guarantees it!!
I have visited Evan in his new shop here in Houston and it still looks impressive. He had a lot machined parts there and I was very impressed with the quality of work.

Ron - Cypress, TX
post #31 of 80 Old Apr 30th, 2010, 9:37 pm

Ultra,

They break off the upper right or left corner. I haven't seen the fix it before it breaks kit, but it's probably the same thing I wanted to do. Make a reinforcement plate so the stress would not allow the ears to break off. Problem is the compound curve of the latch on my 03.

It broke and I used it with one ear till that broke too. Then I replaced the whole piece with the machined one. Great and easy to install. Sorry that the one I installed still used the plastic base part. But it's working great now and I don't always press down on the lid either when I latch it. And that's with the wear on the pins, which have little flats worn on them over the years.

My 00 I had always closed smoothly with very little effort and there was no wear showing on the hooks or the pins.

Just my $.02

Phil Konzak

1972 Honda SL 125 (1 st bike)(rest in peace)
1974 Honda CB350 F1 (smoothness personified)
1973 Honda CB350 twin (unsafe at any speed)
1971 Kawasaki H-1A 500 (wheelie King)
1975 Honda GL1000 (4 into 1 header, Vetter fairing)
1981 KTM 420 Enduro (fast and smooth)
1979 Yamaha 750 Special (suprisingly fast)
1981 Honda GL1100 Interstate (rough rider)
2000 K1200LT ICon (gone but not forgotten)

2003 K1200LTE Silver Lightning 131,637 miles 07/01/13

Gear Up Every Time You Ride !
The Skin You Save Will Be Your Own !

I'm sorry but the laws of physics prevent me from going any faster than the vehicle directly in front of me !
post #32 of 80 Old Jun 15th, 2010, 9:28 pm

I just put on the "fix it before it brakes" kit from Evan. I was so impressed by his web site and machine shop that I just had to get one. It took me about an hour to install and now I don't have to worry about my wife closing it wrong anymore.
post #33 of 80 Old Jun 24th, 2010, 6:57 pm

Wow, I came in here thinking I was the only one who experienced this and it was a fluke, but low and behold.

Not only does BMW suck, but you guys actually are cool with it.

You must work for the government or some other bureaucratic companies that don't care about inefficiency and spending money.

Now it makes sense why the world is so phucked up as well.

GIVI 1 BMW 0 (once again)

PS - Better chance of seeing God before I part out money for a fix.
post #34 of 80 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 10:37 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackConner
Wow, I came in here thinking I was the only one who experienced this and it was a fluke, but low and behold.

You must work for the government or some other bureaucratic companies that don't care about inefficiency and spending money.

And the purpose of your juvenile post is???

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #35 of 80 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 3:08 pm

I read this blog about the broken trunk latch problem. I noticed that there is a site sponsor: LTTrunkLatch.com and that this was a company whose sole product was a replacement trunk latch for a BMW/K1200lt. I also noticed that the price of the replacement handle was $360. I thought, "What are these guys doing to their trunk latches that would be the cause of a start up company such as this? I've ridden about 200K on 2 seperate K1200lt's and have never had a broken trunk latch."
Now this story gains some reality. Monday morning I stopped for coffee and put my helmet into the trunk. The damn thing wouldn't close properly! I tried it a couple of times and it just didn't close right. Then I noticed it. I had a crack about 11/2" long starting just below the right side hinge. Now, i've got a problem because my wife and I are leaving, from Connecticut, on Thursday morning for a, long anticipated trip to the Grand Canyon. I called a number of BMW motorcycle dealers in the New England area, trying to get a replacement latch. Cliff's Cycle Revolution in Danbury, CT was one of only 2 dealers that could explain just how problematic the broken handle issue is. Cliff's parts man explained that the latch handle is an integral part of the lower case and that I would have to replace said component. Replacement costs were $1200 +++.
First of all, let's set the record straight. I apologize to any and all for my flippant thoughts about your treatment of your K1200lt travel trunk. I don't feel that I had abused mine in any way, as I'm sure that you, as well, did not.
Now, getting back to my problem.
1. I've got a broken latch that BMW wants $1200 +++. Oh, and by the way, I'll have to wait at least a couple of weeks before they can get me a new lower case.
2. We want to be on the road in 3 days.
So, I e-mailed LTTrunkLatch.com 1st thing on Tuesday morning, about 4:30AM, and asked if they could overnight ship me a trunk latch. Now I go to work, expecting to be back home by 9:00AM. Things happened at work and I was gone, from home, until 2:30PM. When I got home I checked my e-mails right away. Sure enough, Evan at LTTrunkLatch.com had replied, to my e-mail at 9:45AM. He said he would be able to overnight ship to me but that I needed to make the purchase within the hour because he was going into town to make his shipments in about an hour. He would gaurantee that I have the latch on Wednesday.
post #36 of 80 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 3:39 pm

I read this blog about the broken trunk latch problem. I noticed that there is a site sponsor: LTTrunkLatch.com and that this was a company whose sole product was a replacement trunk latch for a BMW/K1200lt. I also noticed that the price of the replacement handle was $360. I thought, "What are these guys doing to their trunk latches that would be the cause of a start up company such as this? I've ridden about 200K on 2 seperate K1200lt's and have never had a broken trunk latch."
Now this story gains some reality. Monday morning I stopped for coffee and put my helmet into the trunk. The damn thing wouldn't close properly! I tried it a couple of times and it just didn't close right. Then I noticed it. I had a crack about 11/2" long starting just below the right side hinge. Now, i've got a problem because my wife and I are leaving, from Connecticut, on Thursday morning for a, long anticipated trip to the Grand Canyon. I called a number of BMW motorcycle dealers in the New England area, trying to get a replacement latch. Cliff's Cycle Revolution in Danbury, CT was one of only 2 dealers that could explain just how problematic the broken handle issue is. Cliff's parts man explained that the latch handle is an integral part of the lower case and that I would have to replace said component. Replacement costs were $1200 +++.
First of all, let's set the record straight. I apologize to any and all for my flippant thoughts about your treatment of your K1200lt travel trunk. I don't feel that I had abused mine in any way, as I'm sure that you, as well, did not.
Now, getting back to my problem.
1. I've got a broken latch that BMW wants $1200 +++. Oh, and by the way, I'll have to wait at least a couple of weeks before they can get me a new lower case.
2. We want to be on the road in 3 days.
So, I e-mailed LTTrunkLatch.com 1st thing on Tuesday morning, about 4:30AM, and asked if they could overnight ship me a trunk latch. Now I go to work, expecting to be back home by 9:00AM. Things happened at work and I was gone, from home, until 2:30PM. When I got home I checked my e-mails right away. Sure enough, Evan at LTTrunkLatch.com had replied, to my e-mail at 9:45AM. He said he would be able to overnight ship to me but that I needed to make the purchase within the hour because he was going into town to make his shipments in about an hour. He would gaurantee that I have the latch on Wednesday.
Now my problem is that I've missed the opportunity to get my latch by Wednesday because I didn't get back to Evan within the specified time frame. I replied to Evans e-mail, explained my situation and asked if he could get the latch to me for Thursday. Evan replied that he could use UPS and still be able to get the latch to me on Wednesday. His only issue was the high costs, to me, of using UPS. My needs were greater than my frugality and we made the deal. Evan told me to go to the LTTrunkLatch.com website and read the directions for removing the old latch handle. I did this and had everything disassembled on Tuesday evening. Wednesday evening about 6:00PM the replacement kit was delivered to me. By Thursday morning at 9:00AM my Beemer was ready to roll.
My thoughts about my experience with LTTrunkLatch.com:
Although there seems to be some question, from some of you, about the cost of this replacement kit I can assure you that the cost is justified. The material and workmanship are perfect. Not just extraordinary but perfect.
Secondly, the amount of detail required to produce not just the replacement kit, but a system for replacing everything that you have to destroy (I.E. rivets, swedged bars, etc) in order to get the old latch removed from the trunk, is mind boggling. (BMW didn't make provisions for removing the latch handle from the lower case)
If you were to look up the definition of "outstanding customer service", I'm sure that Evan Guy's picture is what you'd see.

P.S. I'm sending this message from our first stop on our 2010 adventure. The new trunk latch looks awesome, works better than the original and I no longer have to be concerned about a trunk latch failure. This product, which is offered by LTTrunkLatch.com is worth every penny. The cost of tubing on the Battenkill river with my grandchildren is priceless.
Thank you all for the insights that helped me to get on the road when I wanted to.
post #37 of 80 Old Jun 25th, 2010, 4:31 pm

Quote:

Having been drafted and spent the past 38 years in continuous governent service
(30 years in Army Special Forces and 8 years are an Army civilian),
I take offense at your flippant comment about the government inefficiency and spending money.
There are a lot of folks who work very hard
at getting the most out of everything that we're allocated.
And we'll never get everything that we need.
We adapt and overcome.
Ironically, your comments above, partially explain why the world is so fucked up.
post #38 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 1:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
And the purpose of your juvenile post is???
Juvenile? You spend $22k+ on a bike and they can't design a simple latch? And then when people start having them break, you don't supply it as a replacement part and expect people to buy an entire bottom part of the case instead for $900+?

Who makes the exterior of the bike facade a failure point for something internal?

I took it apart and already made a fix for it and in looking at the engineering, I started laughing and thinking, "Yep, Bavarian piece of crap."

Reading multiple thread discussions on this board, everything from the lack of ease for doing a simple oil change to my even wanting to switch out my seat now, only to find the electrical connection for the heated seat runs under the fuel tank it looks like, the bike is simply of flawed design.

But go on and keep defending it. You have no choice, you own it too and are stuck with it.

There's a term for that. I think it's called a rationalization defense mechanism.
post #39 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 1:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT_Pilot
Having been drafted and spent the past 38 years in continuous governent service
(30 years in Army Special Forces and 8 years are an Army civilian),
I take offense at your flippant comment about the government inefficiency and spending money.
There are a lot of folks who work very hard
at getting the most out of everything that we're allocated.
And we'll never get everything that we need.
We adapt and overcome.
Ironically, your comments above, partially explain why the world is so fucked up.
Wow, I'm the reason the world is so fucked up and you honestly believe the government doesn't waste money?
The whole of the government is a big excercise in futility, wasteful spending, black budgets and kissing the asses of corporations the world over, primarily the banking cartel, the IMF and the drug trades that keep it all going.
But then, a good soldier like yourself does what he's told, follows the rules, isn't allowed to use any critical thinking outside of the parameters of what the military allows that is, and has to defend his position at all cost, to justify his own existance that is.
How's it go? What's the difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist... it depends if the CIA is employing you or not.
The rest of the world is a lot bigger than the U.S. and ironically, doesn't have military bases in an as many as we do. That and the fact that the U.S. is merely an extension of the UK, always has been... right down to the colors on the flag. The way to win a war is through subversive means and the revolutionary war was brilliant now wasn't it. If you don't believe me, then why do so many of our supposed leaders allow themselves to be knighted, thereby pledging allegiance to the Queen of England?
I could go on and on, but your a tool for the U.S., so thank you for your service.
post #40 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:05 am

No point in responding.
Get the discussion back on the LT trunk replacement.
The point of the thread was that the trunk latch is broken.
Here's a way to fix it.
post #41 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 1:10 pm

LAWRETJ,

Thanks for the kind words. Others who have orders outstanding might get pissed that I moved you to the front of the line. And yours is the only one that went out that day. I'll probably catch hell for it, but you indicated you were TWO days from leaving on a ONE MONTH excursion. As long as you POST UP PICS of your excursion (so that we can verify that your claim of an EPIC vacation is in fact true), moving you to the front is justified!!

You're a cool dude! Enjoyed this sale, a lot!! Y'all be really careful and POST PICS along the way!!

Thanks Again,

Evan Guy
post #42 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 4:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Juvenile? You spend $22k+ on a bike and they can't design a simple latch? And then when people start having them break, you don't supply it as a replacement part and expect people to buy an entire bottom part of the case instead for $900+?

Who makes the exterior of the bike facade a failure point for something internal?

I took it apart and already made a fix for it and in looking at the engineering, I started laughing and thinking, "Yep, Bavarian piece of crap."

Reading multiple thread discussions on this board, everything from the lack of ease for doing a simple oil change to my even wanting to switch out my seat now, only to find the electrical connection for the heated seat runs under the fuel tank it looks like, the bike is simply of flawed design.

But go on and keep defending it. You have no choice, you own it too and are stuck with it.

There's a term for that. I think it's called a rationalization defense mechanism.
Yes, I think definition 3 fits pretty well: http://www.merriam-webster.com/netdict/juvenile I see you are a junior member and the moniker appears to fit well. You whine and moan and offer nothing constructive. Others see the issues and develop solutions. That is the difference between the immature and the mature. The immature whine and moan and claim that somebody should have prevented the problem or should fix the problem. The mature also wish the problem didn't exist and call out the manufacturer on it, but they then proceed to develop a solution rather than whining and moaning.

Sure, the design appears to be flawed given the number of failures, although, I would really like to know what the actual failure rate is. It appears that BMW has sold several thousand LTs and I've only seen a few dozen latch failures mentioned here, I am not sure the data really supports an assertion of a poor design. My latch is working fine after 3 years and 18,000 miles. However, I also realize it may fail the next time I close the latch.

I have owned many vehicles including an airplane that cost a lot more than any BMW motorcycle. The airplane had even chintzier door and cowling latches than on the LT. Every design is a balance between functionality, durability, weight, cost and other parameters. No design excels at all attributes.

I've yet to own a vehicle or device of any kind that didn't have flaws in execution, design or both. You make a decision based on the overall balance. I really like many things about the LT and don't like many others, however, for my riding style it was the best balance available.

You seem to really not like BMW and/or your LT so I suggest that you sell it and find a bike you like. Then again, since you are looking for a perfect bike with no flaws, I suspect you will be looking a long time and probably whining all the way. Folks like you seem to enjoy whining and will find a reason to do so no matter what.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #43 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 4:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Wow, I'm the reason the world is so fucked up and you honestly believe the government doesn't waste money?
The whole of the government is a big excercise in futility, wasteful spending, black budgets and kissing the asses of corporations the world over, primarily the banking cartel, the IMF and the drug trades that keep it all going.
But then, a good soldier like yourself does what he's told, follows the rules, isn't allowed to use any critical thinking outside of the parameters of what the military allows that is, and has to defend his position at all cost, to justify his own existance that is.
How's it go? What's the difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist... it depends if the CIA is employing you or not.
The rest of the world is a lot bigger than the U.S. and ironically, doesn't have military bases in an as many as we do. That and the fact that the U.S. is merely an extension of the UK, always has been... right down to the colors on the flag. The way to win a war is through subversive means and the revolutionary war was brilliant now wasn't it. If you don't believe me, then why do so many of our supposed leaders allow themselves to be knighted, thereby pledging allegiance to the Queen of England?
I could go on and on, but your a tool for the U.S., so thank you for your service.
Since you despise your country as much as your motorcycle, why don't you sell the bike and leave the country? I think we'd all be happier then.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #44 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:00 pm

MODS (moderators)!! Major clean up on aisles 2&3........Good grief, what brought on THIS MAJOR "thread jack"........Sure as the day is long, I'm certain there are "anger management" forums for LT owners where you could find equally ANGRY people! You GO BOY!!....Good grief, stuff ain't perfect and we try to iron out the problems we have.....geez....
post #45 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Quote:
Please don't come to our country when you leave yours
post #46 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 7:28 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Now it makes sense why the world is so phucked up as well.GIVI 1 BMW 0 (once again)

My ... how fortunate the good people of Lincroft, NJ are to have you living among them !??
post #47 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 9:32 pm

Quote:
Your comment above makes it tough to reflect upon our freedom of speech you take so liberally! Dude....really.....you're either a sympathizer, tree hugger, AQ or Tali sleeper, totally oblivious to reality, or just wanted to rile the forum up (to which you succeeded)! I have 4,500 combat proven troops (women included) that would love to dance with your pathetic viewpoint on a close combat course or military mixed martial arts (combatives) and leave you cold on the mat (sans weapons). Then again, you may have this view because you were kicked out of the military for your low standards or failure to comply with the oath you took.

What do you know about winning wars? Calling current, or past, servicemembers "tools" makes you sound uneducated.....we are "instruments"....some of us can be considered "precision instruments" and our service is for our country....."Sua Sponte"....look it up and connect the dots.....I'll give you a hint.....I'm not a judge nor in a school in MA.

If you're truly that frustrated .....sell your bike, leave the country (or the planet ), and then feel free to keep your whining about the freedom YOU are obviously enjoying here in the US.

now......

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #48 of 80 Old Jun 26th, 2010, 9:36 pm

R L T W!
post #49 of 80 Old Jun 27th, 2010, 2:39 am

BlauBeeMr,

Try reading, "War is a racket" by Marine Major General Smedley Darlington Butler, then get back to me. The "freedoms" you purport to defend and give me (which you don't) were fought for and given centuries ago. The American public hasn't held Congress or any other members in the government accountable for many of the egregious behaviors they have taken, including the selling out of this once great countries to that of foreign and corporate interests alike. Just look at the current actions of the Wall Street bailouts, the continuing push for the cap & trade bill and universal health care plan which a majority don't want yet government is still pushing for. As for your pathetic threats and your slanted views on wars, what do I know about winning wars? That many times, the best way to destroy your enemy is by making a friend of them (Abraham Lincoln), but then, all you know is how to shoot a gun and follow orders and die, or to kill many others in the process. Where is the disconnect for the pawns that are used as such? I could never figure that out.

Voyager, get a life.

It's not an immature whine, it's a reasonable expectation of a bike that is suppose to be of this caliber and cost. Have you experienced the breakdown yourself? Have you seen the mechanical design of the lock assembly to the handle which cracks the way it does? And are you one of the fools who can actually justify the cost to fix it and not hold BMW accountable to at least offer the handle and not the entire bottom pan which is not necessary?

It's a bullshit design and a joke.There is NO reason whatsoever to make a stress point the way this thing is crafted. The handle itself serves no real purpose this way and could have easily released in the opposite direction, pushing down at the bottom part of the handle after depressing the lock, which would then release the latches on the same spring mechanism.

Done with the forum. The bike is already being sold.
post #50 of 80 Old Jun 27th, 2010, 6:36 am

JC-
Good riddance. SIck of your posts wasting space. Done with you. Go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in