low milage question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 8:18 am Thread Starter

low milage question

i am this close to making a deal on a low milage (7900 km which is approx 5000 miles) 20076 K1200LT
my question is : I know i will put on between 5000-8000 km (3000-5000 miles) per year for about the next 5 years...putting such low milage on the bike, will i find the cost of maintaning the bike expensive for how many miles i put on it..(looking at the maintance schedule on this forum, it says to replace most fluids at least every 2 years, get the brakes checked,etc)

also will i have more problems with this bike because it is not being riden (what i am trying to say, is not riding the bike harder on it that putting lots of miles on??) does that make sense?

would buying the extended warranty be a good idea?

i know the right answer is to ride it more, but with our riding season in alberta (april-oct if we are lucky) and unable to retire quite yet, it aint happening
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 1:53 pm

Re: low milage question

I am of the opinion that the LT is happier with lots of mileage, but some times there is no possible way of doing this.
If you're not going to do your own maintenance on the LT, then the extended warranty is the way to go. If for nothing else, then for the peace of mind it can provide you.
Still, by joining this forum, all the info for doing the routine maintenance is here and you could save yourself hundreds of $$ by doing the oil changes and such on your own. The extended warranty would be for the off chance that your LT is prime for a Final Drive failure, which I am told there is no way to know if it would ever happen.
In short, personally when looking at used LT's the maintenance record is more important then the miles. Was it dealer maintained? Is there the stamps to prove it? If so, then it is probably worth the investment. If not, well, I would keep looking. (but then again, what's the price?)
The LT is a great bike, comfy and fast and entertaining. Sometimes that costs money to keep. I for one think it's all worth it.
Best of luck,
Rick

2000 K1200 LT
1973 R75/5
1999 Honda Africa Twin (sold)
1999 R1100 RTP (sold)
1998 R1100 GS (totaled)
1991 R100 RT (sold)
1988 Honda NR250 (sold)
1983 Honda CB350 (sold)
post #3 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 1:58 pm
Super Moderator

I don't think you'll have any issues as long as you maintain the bike regularly, and possibly do some oil changes based on time rather than mileage. Not everyone is an Ironbutt contender, so if you like the bike and it's what you want to ride just do it, regardless of how much!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 2:59 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertarider
i am this close to making a deal on a low milage (7900 km which is approx 5000 miles) 20076 K1200LT
my question is : I know i will put on between 5000-8000 km (3000-5000 miles) per year for about the next 5 years...putting such low milage on the bike, will i find the cost of maintaning the bike expensive for how many miles i put on it..(looking at the maintance schedule on this forum, it says to replace most fluids at least every 2 years, get the brakes checked,etc)

would buying the extended warranty be a good idea?
Not a really good ride for the "Tim Hortons & home to polish it" runs. Sure as heck you'll drop it in front of all your buddies in the parking lot (like all of us have)
This thing loves to go distance and you won't find ANYTHING more comfortable to travel on or more fun to ride.
That said, the published maintenance schedule is a little overdone IMHO ..... change your fluids regularly, do the things that keep you safe on it and you're likely good to go. At the same time, if something breaks, she's not like fixing your average Yamaha Cruiser .... things can be expensive.
Fantaistic bike but is really built for 2-up riding long distances.
Keir

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in