Body work suggestions? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 6:46 am Thread Starter

Body work suggestions?

Here is the problem: Right rear side compartment has a small area, near the back corner, while the bike was napping, during the first year of ownership, that needs a little body work and paint. I've thought about taking it to a body shop for repair or maybe covering it up with another piece of bumper material or some type of reflecting tape. Because of the slight curve, it might be difficult to get the tape to fit correctly. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw volt ohm meter 004.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	22661  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 6:59 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Body work suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Here is the problem: Right rear side compartment has a small area, near the back corner, while the bike was napping, during the first year of ownership, that needs a little body work and paint. I've thought about taking it to a body shop for repair or maybe covering it up with another piece of bumper material or some type of reflecting tape. Because of the slight curve, it might be difficult to get the tape to fit correctly. Any suggestions?
Dano send a PM to D.Kinsey he should be able to give you some ideas

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 7:57 am

Quote:
When I got my 03 LTC two years ago, it had scuffs & scratches on both bag tops due to the previous owners passenger not getting their foot over the bag. What I did was talk to one of those many guys that go from car dealership to car dealership fixing and painting small imperfections on the lot cars.
He was able to match the color and only took him a couple of hours.
You might want to stop in a local dealership and ask when their guy comes in.
hope this will help!

2003 Black
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
K1200LTC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Garmin 450
XM Radio
Video Camera Mount
Fender Mount Driving Lights
Autocom Super Pro AVi
Saddlebag LED Lights

Bakup Backrest
Grip Puppies
VStream Windscreen
Muth Mirrors
2008 Bushtec

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 8:36 am

The body work is probably left best deferred to more expert than myself........however placing adhesive backed materials of any kind...........decals; graffics; or reflective tapes; us a spray mist bottle of window cleaner; first to thoroughly clean the area and then wet it all down and leave it wet................peal the backing off and place the piece where you want it; you will be able to easily do this while it is still wet; Once it is where you want it you can use a credit cart or other soft squeegee to work out all the bubbles.......................let it dry and it will conform to curvatures etc....and you will have a dickens of a time getting it removed with out the use of WD-40..........................

Thus endeth the grafic application lecture for the day................................
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 9:04 am

Yuck.....Paint it If you decide to go with a "sticker" or some other type of adhesive band-aid make sure it is thick. If you go with a thin/ish type of vinyl anything it will bubble/not adhere well and generally look like poop because it will be mapping all the imperfections of the body damage...ie scratches,gouges, touch-ups etc. Good luck!

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 1:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the good advise. I'm going to try to find someone that the local car dealers use around here. I've actually got the exact touch up paint so that should make it a little easier to match. again, thanks for the advise.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #7 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 2:19 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

You could just get another Hawai'i girl sticker.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Tahiti ! and she came with the 6-pack.......

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #9 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 4:06 pm
rlv

Dano,
Paint it and you will not regret it.
Put a sticker to it and you will regret it.
Beautiful color

Richard Vogt
2007 (Silver) R1200RT
2010 R1200GSA (Gertrude)
post #10 of 10 Old Apr 18th, 2009, 5:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Tahiti ! and she came with the 6-pack.......
Sorry, all those lei's look alike to me.

I agree that your best bet is to find a professional and get it fixed right. It'll be worth it.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in