Oil Burning after Side Stand Use - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
ytk

Unhappy Oil Burning after Side Stand Use

Is a blue oil fog common after resting the K12LT on the side stand. If yes, how quickly should the "oil fog" burn off. My '03 LTE with 21K looks worse than a 2-stroke for up to 5 miles after storing the bike on the side stand over night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 5:05 pm

normal

Yup.. could be "normal"... does the bike do this if left on the center stand? Make sure you haven't "overfilled" the oil... but it is normal for some "smoking" when left on the sidestand. Even my '05 does that... has since new. I found if I kept the bike level for a minute or two after stopping, then put it on the sidestand, I would have very little burn-off.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 5:18 pm

My 05 will sometimes smoke a little when left on sidestand.

post #4 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 5:52 pm

Mine will smoke too, but not every time. I believe it depends where the piston is when the engine shuts down.

It usually clears up in 30 Sec or so, not very long.

Don
2001 K1200LT "Blue Bomber"
Vancouver Island, BC
post #5 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:04 pm

How high do you keep the oil in the window? I like to hold mine to the center of the glass.
Bruce C
post #6 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:20 pm

My '03 does that too. Especially if there is a little more oil in it than it should, like over halfway in the sight glass, also if it has a harder than usual lean angle. Try to get it on the center stand if possible.
post #7 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:34 pm

Yep, mine too! Smokes for about 30 seconds or so after start up.
post #8 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 6:59 pm

Seems normal. I took the advice of others on this site: keep the bike straight up or tilted slightly to the right for at least 10 seconds when you shut it off before placing on side stand. This helped. Very seldom does it smoke anymore.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #9 of 25 Old Oct 3rd, 2005, 7:54 pm

I've noticed the smoke is greatly reduced if after shutting off the engine, you hold the bike vertical for about 20 seconds before tipping it onto the side stand. Not a total cure, but sometimes you just can't put it on the center stand. It seems to give the oil time to drain back down into the sump, instead of staying in the head (and then leaking down into the cylinders).

Don Ferrario
2004 K1200LT
2002 ST1100A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:02 pm

I have a 99 and changed to synthetic oil for the first time last oil change. Without exception, I blow smoke to the first two Ė three minutes. This is new. With non-synthetic oil, I would occasionally blow smoke, maybe one out of ten times. I been reading the threads for a while and donít remember seeing any correlation between smoke and synthetic oil. Iíd be interested in other experiences.

Bill Patterson
post #11 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:13 pm

Wink Here's what I do

Pull the bike up to park. Leave in 1st gear..With bike running get weight on right leg and put down side stand..Engine should turn itself off.... Stay in this position (slightly right ) for fifteen seconds or so....Then go to the side stand.

My bike almost never smokes...

Oil level should be across the CENTER of the sight glass when on the SIDE stand on LEVEL ground.... check after engine off for at least 10 mins....If higher than this it's overfilled and this will contribute to the smoking..

PS.. They all do this it's normal....don't worry about it a bit.

Good luck..

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #12 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjpatter
I have a 99 and changed to synthetic oil for the first time last oil change. Without exception, I blow smoke to the first two Ė three minutes. This is new. With non-synthetic oil, I would occasionally blow smoke, maybe one out of ten times. I been reading the threads for a while and donít remember seeing any correlation between smoke and synthetic oil. Iíd be interested in other experiences.

Bill Patterson
I'm not an oil expert (and I'm sure there are some guys here pretty good), but I will assume that because synthetic is thin then mineral, it will 'leak' in a bigger quantity to the pistons then the mineral.
But if you just turn off the engine and keep the bike upright for 10 to 15 seconds, you will see a difference on the smoke.

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #13 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:20 pm

we both wrote the same thing, at the very same time...
is this forum something wonderful or not?!!!

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #14 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 4:25 pm

if you lean the bike on the sidestand right after you shut it off the engine, the oil has not yet had time to settle back into the pan, and some will leak past the valves into the combustion chamber. all you have to do is keep it straight upright for about thirty seconds after you shut it off.

i always just keep it upright while i unbuckle my helmet, remove my gloves, etc. ... nine times out of ten there is no smoke on startup.

of course you could always use the centerstand. then it will never smoke.
post #15 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 5:34 pm

You are almost right. The issue is the oil laying in the bottom of the cylinders, not in the head. Oil from the head cannnot get into the combustion chambers, but oil laying in the bottom of the cylinders will pool behind the pistons, and depending on where the ring gaps are, may seep past the rings and into the space above the piston where it is burned on start up. It is inconsistent, because maybe only one or two pistons have rings that have turned so that the ring gaps are near the bottom of the cylinder, and if those pistons stop near the bottom of their stroke there will be little oil trapped behind them, where if they stop near the top of stroke, a lot more oil will pool behind them when leaned to the left.

That is why leaning the bike to the right for a few seconds helps, letting the oil drain back from the lower surface of the cylinders back into the crankcase.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #16 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 5:39 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
You are almost right.
"almost right" is a lot better than i normally do. just ask my wife!

thx for the correction, david ...
post #17 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 6:14 pm

Mine also smokes if left on side stand, Thank goodness for hydraulic center stand on 05. It seems to always smoke worse if I am riding with some of my Gold Wing buddies and they stop at Dairy Queen and I leave bike on side stand.
Leon
05 Blue LT
post #18 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 6:19 pm

Mine only does this when it's started in front of a group of other brand motorcycles.

Then I have to explain that it's a pre-oiling system that makes the engine last longer.

90% of them believe me

Glen Frankum
post #19 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 7:41 pm

Just occasionally

My 2002, 19,000 miles, blows smoke probably 1 out of 5-6 start-ups. So little I hardly notice it. I always park it on the side stand and haven't found a pattern. It only lasts a few seconds and I burn regular oil.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #20 of 25 Old Dec 20th, 2005, 8:01 pm

Smile

My 2000, is parked on the side stand 99% of the time. I never hold it to the right or vertical, just shut the engine off with the side stand, put it down, lock the handlebars and hop off. It smokes once or twice a year. Luck or ring gaps or ???

Rich
Roseville, CA

'09 Kawasaki KLX250
'08 Honda Goldwing
'00 K1200LT -- sold

HDDC Posse

post #21 of 25 Old Dec 22nd, 2005, 11:55 am

I have a 2000 and after a recent oil change I thought it might be a two stroke.
It cleared and as all have said already, just a little smoke on start up clears rather quickly.
post #22 of 25 Old Feb 8th, 2014, 7:07 am

Re: Oil Burning after Side Stand Use

Wasn't Laughing at the time! I handed over a large $ check to the seller. put the "New to me" 2003 K1200LT on the steel bottom trailer... on the side stand (Seemed more stable and only one direction to fall, heaven forbid it should happen!.. at the time.) Then I pulled my new to me bike 6 hrs north in the rain from Atlanta, GA to NC... I rolled it off the trailer and started it... wow. I knew for sure I had a lemon! yeh SMOKE for 4 min + then.... it stopped. 4-oil changes and 12.5K miles later not a puff. (as long as I turn it off, hold it uprigh for 10 sec., and dismount) Thank you Cfell, I'd read your post that night and slep like a baby...
post #23 of 25 Old Feb 8th, 2014, 7:39 am

One day i was out just running around looking for a good used Honda GoldWind, a buddy of mine let me ride his and i thought that's what i wanted.
Driving home one day i drive by this dealership that has a 1994 BMW k1100lt out front right by the road, i thought i will turn around and go check it out.
It wasn't cleaned up at all, but i could tell that it was in very good condition. I stopped and inquired about the bike. The first thing i notice is that the bike is really tall, really dirty , 26,000 miles, beautiful and on its side stand. I asked if i could give it a test ride, he responded, let me get the keys. Now when he gets back he begins to explain to me that the bike hasn't been started in a couple of weeks and it has not been moved, so it might not start, he climbs on the bike sits it upright and it fires right up on the second try but is smoking quite a bit, over the engine running he tells me that this is normal,and I,m thinking, yea right. I ask to take if for a test ride and he says sure, so i climb on this beast, in a gravel parking lot mind you, and i cant back it up because of how the bike is sitting,

Last edited by DEdwards; Feb 8th, 2014 at 8:04 am.
post #24 of 25 Old Feb 8th, 2014, 7:47 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEdwards View Post
One day i was out just running around looking for a good used Honda GoldWind, a buddy of mine let me ride his and i though that's what i wanted.
Driving home one day i drive by this dealership that has a 1994 BMW k1100lt out front right by the road, i thought i will turn around and go check it out.
It wasn't cleaned up at all, but i could tell that it was in very good condition. I stopped and inquired about the bike. The first thing i notice is that the bike is really tall, really dirty , 26,000 miles, beautiful and on its side stand. I asked if i could give it a test ride, he responded, let me get the keys. Now when he gets back he begins to explain to me that the bike hasn't been started in a couple of weeks and it has not been moved, so it might not start, he climbs on the bike sits it upright and it fires right up on the second try but is smoking quite a bit, over the engine running he tells me that this is normal,and I,m thinking, yea right. I ask to take if for a test ride and he says sure, so i climb on this beast, in a gravel parking lot mind you, and i cant back it up because of how the bike is sitting,

Just wondering if their is more to the thread to be added did you buy it or did you fall over on it

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #25 of 25 Old Feb 8th, 2014, 7:53 am

the salesman has to physically push me backwards till i could make the turn.
I take the bike on the test ride and i was amazed and had never had so much fun on a motorcycle, the bike was amazing, but all i could think about was how much it smoked when we started it up, so i lost interest pretty fast.
I went home and began checking out things about the BMW motorcycle and found that it is common for whatever reason. I spent a little time investigating about the bike and went back to the dealership. He was a little supprised to see me back, i explain to him that the smoke really bothered me, we negotiated a price i think was very good, AND then i became a proud owner of one of the best bikes i have ever ridden...so fun and enjoyable to ride.
Changed to synthetic oil and it has never smoked again, side stand or center stand. This bike is wonderful.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in