Stainless Steel Screw Kit on Ebay - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:52 pm Thread Starter

Stainless Steel Screw Kit on Ebay

Sorry if this has aready been discussed, but what is your opinion on whether these are worth $50.00 plus.
I haven't yet taken anything apart on my bike yet. Will I really need these? It just seems crazy that the nuts and bolts that hold our bike together could be that bad!?
They used the word "oatmeal" to describe the stock fasteners!? Geeeez!

Item number: 250408328607 at www.ebay.com
or go to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...dc=1&viewitem=

Joe Dumas (Basic Member)
-from the shores of Lake Michigan
BMW MOA# -expired

2011 Triumph Speed Triple
2008 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Sold)
2004 Triumph Bonneville
1999 Triumph Adventurer
1978 Yamaha XS650E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:25 pm

Re: Stainless Steel Screw Kit on Ebay

I bought a set of screws for my LT years ago. They were great, I do not recall who they where from though. These were much better than stock because the all came with rubber washers bonded to each screw. I do not believe that set on ebay is like that. I would hold out for the rubber washers.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:41 pm

look for "Murph's kits".. Brian's correct.. they have the rubber vulcanized neoprene washers.

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 5:45 am

My 2002's screws haven't rusted! Don't know why you would want to just replace them and besides, I always have a few left over every time I work on her. Just keep them in a box and use when needed.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 7:12 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Yep I owned the Murphy kits before I owned the bike.

I love that washer as it gives you compression on the screw. I would look for that kit.

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 10:46 am

The stock screws are already good quality stainless steel, just black coated. I see absolutely NO reason to change them, other than cost, but if you only need to replace a couple, cost is not really an issue as you can buy quite a few stock screws from the dealer for the cost of a replacement kit, which really offers little to nothing. I would not want shiny screws in the panels anyway.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:04 am

Nice part is 6mm T-handle wrench for removal/installation of screws.. no "torx" head.

Mine also minimized "panel talk"..... might be due to the washer and insulation.

The black ones showed signs of 'rust'... probably due to metal left behind by wrenches ...
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:42 am
Lifetime Supporter

A word of caution of on the stainless screws, be sure to use never-seize compound on them as many lower grades of stainless are prone to corrosion in the threads. Without knowing the quality of the aftermarket screws you need to exercise caution or you may find yourself with a bunch of frozen fasteners.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey
A word of caution of on the stainless screws, be sure to use never-seize compound on them as many lower grades of stainless are prone to corrosion in the threads. Without knowing the quality of the aftermarket screws you need to exercise caution or you may find yourself with a bunch of frozen fasteners.
This is not usually a problem when screwed into brass (such as the rubber insert nuts on the side panels around the engine area), or into coated steel, as many of the fasteners are on the LT, but if screwed into aluminum, which a few are, great caution has to be observed, and anti-sieze used. Stainless steel fasteners and aluminum DO NOT play well together! They can easily gall, and when they do, you have a BIG problem.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
My 2002's screws haven't rusted! Don't know why you would want to just replace them and besides, I always have a few left over every time I work on her. Just keep them in a box and use when needed.....
+1 Likewise on my 02, and where do those extras come from?

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 12:04 pm

I know a great reason to change to an aftermarket screwset. Allen ONLY. Dang torx!

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui
post #12 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 7:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa1200lt
I know a great reason to change to an aftermarket screwset. Allen ONLY. Dang torx!
I do not understand why anyone would not like Torx fasteners. They are a big improvement over hex socket. (Allen is a brand, not a type)

Industry has been improving fastener drives for decades, first was slotted, then Philips, then Hex Socket, then Torx, Now there is Torx Plus. Each one has been an improvement over the previous.

Torx drives are far less likely to strip than Hex socket, and can handle considerably greater torque for the same basic size of driver without stripping. In industrial uses, Hex socket set screws often will "split" and spread when high torque is applied, making them almost impossible to remove. Torx drive set screws greatly reduce that possibility.

Torx is becoming more of a standard as years pass due to the improvement in drive force and reliability.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #13 of 15 Old Mar 6th, 2010, 7:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I do not understand why anyone would not like Torx fasteners. They are a big improvement over hex socket. (Allen is a brand, not a type)

Industry has been improving fastener drives for decades, first was slotted, then Philips, then Hex Socket, then Torx, Now there is Torx Plus. Each one has been an improvement over the previous.

Torx drives are far less likely to strip than Hex socket, and can handle considerably greater torque for the same basic size of driver without stripping. In industrial uses, Hex socket set screws often will "split" and spread when high torque is applied, making them almost impossible to remove. Torx drive set screws greatly reduce that possibility.

Torx is becoming more of a standard as years pass due to the improvement in drive force and reliability.
+1 on what Mr Shealey said.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #14 of 15 Old Mar 7th, 2010, 7:57 am

I work with a lot of Torx and Torx Plus in the transmission business. I've picked up a few Torx 25 screws out of Dodge trannies that I have used on the LT. I with I could find a few of those rubber mounted brass nuts for my tupperware. I have a couple that give me a hard time......................

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #15 of 15 Old Mar 8th, 2010, 4:56 am

Good points all Mr. Shealey! I didn't make my point very well. My position is really torx or hex (Allen or generic) but why both? One or the other would be good for me.

Anybody know why the Great Engineers in the Fatherland decided to use both when one or the other would have been fine?

Loren

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey

WAK1200LT
Loren

Cave quid dicis, quando, et cui

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in