Tie Downs for LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 8:30 pm Thread Starter

Tie Downs for LT

I am going to trailer my LT (heaven forbid) and would like to know what I should get for a tie down system and where to get it. Thanks.

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 8:36 pm

Re: Tie Downs for LT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby60
I am going to trailer my LT (heaven forbid) and would like to know what I should get for a tie down system and where to get it. Thanks.
In addition to several other posts over the years, this one starts a thread that is a pretty good read on tieing down the LT. Tie down straps are available at most hardware, automotive, home improvement stores, as well as at Wal-Mart, etc. Soft ties are available at most motorcycle dealerships. Good luck.
post #3 of 10 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 9:41 pm

This was sent to me by BMW service manager
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMW TIEDOWN PROCEDURE.pdf (586.0 KB, 211 views)

post #4 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 5:52 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, guys. My question is a bit unclear. I really wasn't referring to tie down procedures. I am looking for the best solutions for soft ties, straps, ratchet or cam, etc. I need to buy some once.

Ray

2007 K1200LT Hannigan- Blue
2012 R1200GS - Rallye
1973 R75/5 Toaster - Black
post #5 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 6:05 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

You can get soft ties and ratchet straps from Walmart.

Stevie Shreeve
post #6 of 10 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 11:45 am

If you cannot find soft ties at your WalMart (they are not available in mine) You can order them from Sierra BMM online. I got Ancra Soft Tie Extensions there over a year ago and they have held the LT on my trailer all the way to Wyoming and back to Chicago last year, and to Arkansas for Spring Break last month.

Yes, I admit it. When I only have a week or so of time, I cannot chance the weather. Big as they are, the bags on the LT do not hold a week of laundry for two, and I would rather ride the bike than wash clothes, any how.

You will need to order two sets if you order these on-line.

http://www.sierrabmwonline.com/ancra...ion-p-105.html

BE Sure to print the PDF and follow the directions with care. That brake line on the front is hard to see at night,

I used to be able to find videos of the BMW tie down online but not today.

BMW used to recommend not using ratchet straps.

The BMW staff tie down procedure was that two men did it. One leaning the bike and compressing the suspension whilst the other winched it down with the tie straps. Then bouncing on the bike to compress the other side whilst the other winched on the straps. Bike was really compressed down on its suspension when they had finished.

That is fine if you have two BMW staffers with you. I wonder what that would cost. It also does not work if you have a wheel chock. I found a nice low-rider trailer. The first thing I did was to cut off the curved steel receiver for the front wheel - it was too tall for the LT's front wheel plastic. I found a six inch wide chock on-line that I bolted onto the trailer.

With that, I can just drive the LT up onto the trailer into the chock, and step off and put the tie-downs on by myself. I do, by the way, mount the soft-ties before I drive it onto the trailer. But with the chock (and the bauxley chocks are the better, but they don't have a model that fit), you cannot tip from side to side.

http://www.trailmasterinc.com/transport/lowrider.html

I did buy the ratchet tiedowns at WalMart. The sell them in four packs.

This arrangement lets me get the bike on and off alone when necessary, in about 5-10 minutes, and has taken us to Wall, SD and the badlands, two days riding in the black hills on the way to the BMW Rally in Gillette, over to Cody and the Chief Joseph pass, and then it got the bike all the way home through SD, Nebraska, Iowa, and IL, in time for work. A dubious achievement, that last part.

Same thing this March. Drove out of the Chicago snow and rain to the 65 degree March air in Arkadelphia, Ark. Put 1,500 miles on the LT in AR, OK and LA. then drove home in the rain for 8 of the 12 hours back to Chicago with the LT safely on the trailer. I figure the trailer gets us about an extra month of riding that Chicago's weather does not allow for.

By the way, when its on the road, the LT is the most stable bike I have ever ridden in the rain. 60 of those 1,500 miles were in a real downpour. I was a little worried about lightening driving over a dam in the thunderstorm, but not about riding two up through the hills in the rain. For us, trailering the bike the best of both worlds. Yes, grey hair is a factor. Hope this helps.

Bil

wild bil
07 K1200LT Biarritz Blau
80 Yamaha XS850 Black - retired in 06
post #7 of 10 Old May 24th, 2009, 9:48 am

Everyone says (correctly) not to use handlebar tiedowns to hold the bike because of damage to the dampers, HOWEVER, I use a set and just take the slack out of the straps. I had a side strap break once when I hit a pothole and the handlebar straps kept the bike upright and stable until I could get to an exit and fix things up in a safe spot instead of trying to do it in the breakdown lane. If something bad enough happens to overstress the vibration dampers I figure keeping the bike upright and on the trailer is worth more than fixing the dampers.
post #8 of 10 Old May 24th, 2009, 10:02 am

FWIW I have done away with the soft ties since they are not really necessary and they add extra effort. What I've done is to cut the hook from the non-ratchet end of the tie down strap then fold the strap in half using the fold as my "soft tie". I then slip the folded end around the forks and pull the cut ends through to make a loop and insert the opposite two ends into the ratchet taking care to not overfill the ratchet. On the rear I just use a length of strap without looping it. I have towed many thousands of miles like this and it works fine. No soft ties means one less thing to fuss with.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 Old May 24th, 2009, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by javandyke
FWIW I have done away with the soft ties since they are not really necessary and they add extra effort. What I've done is to cut the hook from the non-ratchet end of the tie down strap then fold the strap in half using the fold as my "soft tie". I then slip the folded end around the forks and pull the cut ends through to make a loop and insert the opposite two ends into the ratchet taking care to not overfill the ratchet. On the rear I just use a length of strap without looping it. I have towed many thousands of miles like this and it works fine. No soft ties means one less thing to fuss with.
That's a good idea. I have been using the soft ties with my Rampage lift and they work pretty well, but the tie down straps are too long with them. I might have to give your way a shot. Thanks for the info...I love this site.
Ken

2006 Magnesium Black Metallic K1200LT
Proud Member of the Patriot Guard Riders
Ken

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 10 Old May 24th, 2009, 5:36 pm

I should have also mentioned that WildBil is on the money with the wheel chock. I use a Condor trailer only model and it works great. Like Bil says, you just ride into the trailer and into the chock. It holds the bike while you dismount and cinch things up. My SO was very happy to be relieved of loading and unloading duties.

Jim
'06LT - Magnesium Black Graphite (light black)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in