Used 03 LT what should I watch out for? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:11 am Thread Starter

Used 03 LT what should I watch out for?

I am looking at purchasing a used 03 LT with 27K on it. What should I watch out for? Anthing negative about this year? What services should it have had?

I have never owned an LT and appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:37 am

Re: Used 03 LT what should I watch out for?

There are certainly much more experienced people than me here, but based on my recent experiences buying an '01 with 48K miles on it, I would do the following:

1) check his service log to see if the local dealer filled in the required 6K and 12K service items.

2) Get the VIN and go to any BMW dealer and ask them to pull the service records. It will not show routine services, but will show what extraordinary items (major repairs, recalls) have been completed, and whether the vehicle is subject to any recalls that have not been completed.

3) Grab the rear tire at 12 and 6 and ensure there is zero play when on the center stand. Then do the same for the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. If you have play you are looking at the potential for several hundred dollars in Final drive pinion bearing or swing arm bearing repair.

4) Check the throttle cables. Do a search here to see what the "new throttle cable" looks like. The older cables have a pretty stiff feeling (loads of resistance). The newer cables are much better (but still pretty stiff IMHO). Changing the cables is doable for a handy person, but costly in labor time for a shop to do it.

5) Take a ride and ensure the clutch does not slip when trying to accelerate under load in 5th gear. Slippage indicates a likely rear main seal or trans seal failure that will have caused clutch contamination requiring an expensive replacement.

I am sure there are other things to look for, as I said more experienced hats can add or correct my statements.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:40 am
Super Moderator

You should watch out for leaving the house to get a carton of milk and coming home 6 hours later with a big smile on your face.... and no milk.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #4 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:44 am

Apart from the above, all I can think of is;
There is a rubber boot on the shaft drive. Have a look in there and see if there is any oil. If there is get the seller to sort it.

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #5 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 7:34 pm

I bought an 03 last October after a 25 year absence from bikes. It had 17600 on it. I changed the oil, tranny and FD fluid, checked the brake and clutch fluid and have put on 6000 miles since with a new set of Metzlers. As mentioned, going to the corner store can often take several hours and hundreds of miles. Has happened often. Enjoy the ride.
post #6 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I firmly believe that the missing time and additional miles has something to do with the UFO phenomon. This board routinely has incidents expressing these same non events again and again,

I was told that it had not happened, so I took the SO for a ride and Lo and behold we were believers now..

We find ourselves going hundreds of miles.. for PIE... THis pie when we get it eludes us, in the sense we get only a segment, a tasty morsal.... finding our sugars are sky rocketing leading us to mount this beast and ride.... until there is only a smile and a sigh at the end of the day....

UFos? YES Ultimate Flying Observatory

You heard it here...

Honey- where are my meds?

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)
post #7 of 12 Old Apr 16th, 2009, 10:01 pm

24k would have been the last major service. If it's been done, you're good to go until 36k for the nex major ($$) service.

Learn to love this board. The guys here will show you the way.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015; SLC, 2017
CCR-R: 2018, Russellville
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #8 of 12 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 1:06 am
Ted

Use this link to verify that it is in fact a 2003 - you'll need the last 7 characters of the VIN#:
http://www.bmw-z1.com/VIN/VINdecode-e.cgi

FWIW, from being a member of this site for almost 6 years - the 2003 has been the best model year with regard to the final drive failure problem (lowest failure rate).

Also, check the shocks - if they are the original stock shocks they are probably toast if they have 27K on them. If the bike wallows while cornering or bottoms-out over speed bumps they're gone - consider replacing w/ Ohlins at approx $1,300 - $1,500.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #9 of 12 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 3:35 am

I have had my 03 since new. Done 35000 km. Replaced rear brake rotor at 23000 km, in-line fuel connectors at 30.000 from plastic to metal, one of them cracked. Replaced radio at 28000. Normal servicing. This bike has given me nothing but pleasure, one or two up. Get it checked out as recommended by some of the other members on this forum for your own peace of mind, and then get out there and enjoy riding a really great bike.I still get as much kick out of this bike as I did when I first climbed on it 6 years ago. Good luck!!
post #10 of 12 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 6:10 am Thread Starter

The 03 is $9,000. (27,000 miles) I also found an 05 with less than 3.000 miles for $13,000 or a 2,000 model with 4,200 miles for $10,200. I'm a little unsettled with not knowing the history of the 03. Based on your answers, with 27,000 miles, I fear I may have to spend a couple of grand in the first few months. The 2000 LT is a little old. Will it be more likely that seals are needed? I'm leaning toward the 05 except it's a little out of my price range and is gold....

What's the service schedule on an LT? Valve adjustments, throttle body sync, etc.

Thanks for your help.
post #11 of 12 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 7:08 am

I have a 2000, and I love it. Got it with 8500 and I now have 49000, Best bike I have ever owned--although I do grumble about it sometimes. IF I were choicing between the three, I would get the 2003. Just my opinion. I think the 2000 regardless of the low miles it over priced.
post #12 of 12 Old Apr 17th, 2009, 7:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateskate
The 03 is $9,000. (27,000 miles) I also found an 05 with less than 3.000 miles for $13,000 or a 2,000 model with 4,200 miles for $10,200. I'm a little unsettled with not knowing the history of the 03. Based on your answers, with 27,000 miles, I fear I may have to spend a couple of grand in the first few months. The 2000 LT is a little old. Will it be more likely that seals are needed? I'm leaning toward the 05 except it's a little out of my price range and is gold....

What's the service schedule on an LT? Valve adjustments, throttle body sync, etc.

Thanks for your help.
Skip the garage queens, they will definitely cost you a couple of grand to get into riding shape - dried out seals, etc. I also think that the '03 is a decent deal - check what you can based on the VIN at the dealer and go from there. Will you spend a few dollars after you buy it? You betcha. Will it bother you? nope. (well, the SO might make some racket for a few days :rofl: )

Service interval is 6K Oil/Filter changes, 12K Valve check (& adjust if necessary), fuel and air filters, tranny and final drive oil change, and a few other sundry checks. There is also an annual service that mostly consists of brake/clutch fluid replacement and a few additional checks. Hall of Wisdom under Technical has the service checklist I believe, along with how-to's for each of these procedures. I purchased my unit in february and have done all of the above except for the brake/clutch fluid replacement, plus changed out shocks and installed a gps/xm radio since then all with information and help from people on this site.

Stick around and go buy an LT, you won't regret it. Welcome.

Live Slow... Fly Fast

Check out our
blog that chronicled our trip to Alaska and back.

<- The Boy
The Toys

2001 K1200LT-C that's been to the Alaskan Arctic Circle and back
2008 VRSCAWA H-D V-Rod with a few goodies
2005 VRSCA H-D V-Rod
1981 Mooney M20J

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in