Hypothetical emmissions question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 5:17 pm Thread Starter

Hypothetical emmissions question

There was a thread here that talked about a proposed bill in California to require all bikes 2000 and up to have a smog check starting in 2011. I wrote my representatives, not that it will help, stating my negative opinion of that.

Supposing it passes and supposing you have a LT that would require the test would having had a "cannesterectomy" cause issues with this test? This is assuming the test will be similar to the car tests done now. They don't have a plan for the type of test yet.

I have a 2000 LT I bought used and I haven't been under the rear box to see if that procedure was done. My bike runs fine so if it hasn't been done I don't think I need it. Just wondering if this is something the downtrodden in California are going to have to address somewhere down the line.

2007 R1200R

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Re: Hypothetical emmissions question

Hello ipokebadgers

I would guess that motorcycle emission testing would follow other motor vehicle testing in that all emission control parts must be in place and working . I believe emission control parts have a mandated warrantee maybe something like 24K miles . Has anyone tried to get a dealer to warrantee a emission control canister ?

Bob G
post #3 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 5:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokebadgers
There was a thread here that talked about a proposed bill in California to require all bikes 2000 and up to have a smog check starting in 2011. I wrote my representatives, not that it will help, stating my negative opinion of that.

Supposing it passes and supposing you have a LT that would require the test would having had a "cannesterectomy" cause issues with this test? This is assuming the test will be similar to the car tests done now. They don't have a plan for the type of test yet.

I have a 2000 LT I bought used and I haven't been under the rear box to see if that procedure was done. My bike runs fine so if it hasn't been done I don't think I need it. Just wondering if this is something the downtrodden in California are going to have to address somewhere down the line.
I would assume this would be the case. Most of these inspections include the entire emissions system including the vapor recovery circuit. What they actually check for and how extensive they check remains to be seen. When I first read about this, that was my primary concern. I suspect there will be some workarounds and a bit of a market for working canisters if this passes. Maybe we should organize a set of "loaner" canisters now.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

post #4 of 6 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:40 pm

The whole point of emissions testing is to see if required equipment is present and functioning. An evap canister and cat would certainly be on the list. Probably a muffler which passed CARB standards as well. If this passes I would expect aftermarket exhaust makers to be scrambling to get something approved.

Scott
2009 LT
post #5 of 6 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 8:28 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipokebadgers
There was a thread here that talked about a proposed bill in California to require all bikes 2000 and up to have a smog check starting in 2011.

...Supposing it passes and supposing you have a LT that would require the test would having had a "cannesterectomy" cause issues with this test? This is assuming the test will be similar to the car tests done now.
Does this test involve measuring tailpipe emissions, or do they scrutinize the whole vehicle, looking for missing or disconnected equipment? I would suspect the LT could pass 'tailpipe' checks with or without the cannister, which is in place to capture hydrocarbon fumes. This is just my guess, of course.
post #6 of 6 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 8:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

The EVAP system is there to capture gasoline fumes generated in the fuel tank by such factors as agitation and heating. Those vapors are captured in the charcoal canister and then burnt off in the engine which pulls a small amount of air through the canister. I doubt that any emissions test would look at the EVAP system on a motorcycle as it (the EVAP) should not affect the tailpipe emissions. In cars and trucks model year 1996 and newer the inspector simply hooks up to the OBDII system to verify the presence and proper operation of the emission control system. Since motorcycles are exempt from the OBDII requirements, most have little if any emissions systems. To my knowledge, BMW is the only motorcycle built which uses a catalytic converter system so they are way ahead of the game compared to everyone else. I suspect that for a BMW with a canisterectomy to fail any potential emissions test, every other brand of cycle would be off the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in