Keeping her at least another year - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 11:17 am Thread Starter

Keeping her at least another year

I gotta say, when pretty much all is said and done, I cannot find another bike out there that gives you all the LT does...and I've looked. I seriously doubt there is any motorcycle that provides both the incomparable two up comfort for long haul driving and the really remarkable handling characteristics the LT has. I have fallen in love with her all over again.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
1. sleek looks and incomparable styling
2. comfort up the wazoo -- especially there
3. smooth, accessible power band
4. cornering almost like a sport touring bike
5. sure footed and solid ABS braking system
6. reliable -- I have no fear of taking her anywhere
7. can be ridden hard for hours through tough courses like the tail of the dragon.
8. superb driver and passenger wind protection when you want it
9. reasonable carrying capacity
10. nice acceleration in her power bands
11. reasonable fuel economy
12. easy to use electronic cruise control
13. great heated seats and grips

We all know what we don't like about these beasts, but I have found once you add up the benefits, the things we are not so pleased with, like parking lot speed handling and overall weight, seem pretty insignificant. I've owned and ridden a lot of motorcycles. My happiest and most exhilerating times have been spent on my 2000 LTC. It's now pushing 64,000 miles and the only things I've had to replace besides tires, fluids and a battery are: throttle cables, a fork seal, and O2 sensor.
Gotta say, my wife and I continue to love this girl. Hope to put a few more thousand hard miled on her again this summer. See ya on the roads of America.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:12 pm

Re: Keeping her at least another year

Yup, Why break up a prefect marriage "ride like you stole it" .. Enjoy the riding..
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 1:04 pm

I think my wife said it best when I was looking for a new bike after I wrecked the old LT, "You can have any bike you want as long as it is a K1200LT!" It is kind of like Henry Ford telling everyone they could have any color model A they wanted as long as it was black.

Tom Ress
Great White North
Minnesota
Canyon Red 2000

You have to grow up to have a mid-life crisis!!!!!

I could play with women or with cars, I find cars are cheaper and you can write a book about cars a guy would understand.

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 2:13 pm

I totally agree with you and it is nice to see postings about the good things to help balance against posted negatives. I am waiting for warmer weather to ride like I stole it.

Dave Van Zee
Mulberry IN

'00 K1200LT (Current ride)
'96 Honda PC800 (past ride)
'84 Kawasaki 600 (past ride)
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 7:44 pm

Ive got a minimum of 2 more on the LT as I wont buy a first year model of anything coming down the pike....(assuming a new LT next year).

F

BMWMOA
12 GTL
post #6 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 8:39 pm

I've tried the other choice, that is a Goldwing, and was quite frankly, BORED with it. I went from an 02' LT to a 06' Goldwing (Loaded), and I don't think I was ever really able to place my finger on exactly what all I didn't like about it, but I just lacked any passion for it. This may sound odd, but the skinny center section of a Goldwing, felt literally like I was on a Moped. I just went in on a newer 07' LT and I've now "Got the Bug" again...I cannot wait to go riding. Actually walked out to the garage last night just to look at the thing. I'll take the LT with the potential Final Drive and Clutch Slave issues any day over the Boring Goldwing.
Cheers fellow LT riders.
post #7 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Nothing else rides as cool as LT in the heat of Arizona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new02oldlt
I've tried the other choice, that is a Goldwing, and was quite frankly, BORED with it. I went from an 02' LT to a 06' Goldwing (Loaded), and I don't think I was ever really able to place my finger on exactly what all I didn't like about it, but I just lacked any passion for it. This may sound odd, but the skinny center section of a Goldwing, felt literally like I was on a Moped. I just went in on a newer 07' LT and I've now "Got the Bug" again...I cannot wait to go riding. Actually walked out to the garage last night just to look at the thing. I'll take the LT with the potential Final Drive and Clutch Slave issues any day over the Boring Goldwing.
Cheers fellow LT riders.

Matt Kas

13 Triumph Trophy SE Lunar Silver
12 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive Pearl White

Laguna Niguel, Southern California (South Orange County)
"Riding Year around"

post #8 of 11 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 10:39 pm
Cooler on the east coast!!!

Enjoy her for awhile longer

G-Glove
2003 Silver LTC
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 7:49 pm

Last weekend I got the bug and test drove a Yamaha FJR. Nice bike. It had lots of power and great handling. But, there was no cruise control, heated grips or seat, mediocre wind protection, no power outlets, so-so luggage space and lower quality paint fit and finish. The suspension just feels better especially when braking.

On the way home on the LT I gained a greater appreciation for what I had and decided the switch was not worth it--for me.

Yes, people on this forum complain about a lot of stuff--from the bike to the dealer. I take it with a grain of salt. The LT speaks for itself.
post #10 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout70
Last weekend I got the bug and test drove a Yamaha FJR. Nice bike. It had lots of power and great handling. But, there was no cruise control, heated grips or seat, mediocre wind protection, no power outlets, so-so luggage space and lower quality paint fit and finish. The suspension just feels better especially when braking.

On the way home on the LT I gained a greater appreciation for what I had and decided the switch was not worth it--for me.

Yes, people on this forum complain about a lot of stuff--from the bike to the dealer. I take it with a grain of salt. The LT speaks for itself.
Not sure, but I don't think any of the Japanese sport tourers have the electrical wherewithal to handle heated grips, seat and outlets for clothing. I asked the Concours 14 dealer about adding even outlets for vests and he seemed hesitant.

Greg

2000 k1200LT Basalt Grey (Roxie)
BMWMOA Number: 134717
I have a great doctor, if you can't afford the surgery, he'll touch up the xrays -- Henny Youngman

post #11 of 11 Old Apr 15th, 2009, 6:12 pm
Human Behaviour Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpolakow
I gotta say, when pretty much all is said and done, I cannot find another bike out there that gives you all the LT does...and I've looked. I seriously doubt there is any motorcycle that provides both the incomparable two up comfort for long haul driving and the really remarkable handling characteristics the LT has. I have fallen in love with her all over again.
How do I love thee? Let me count the ways:
1. sleek looks and incomparable styling
2. comfort up the wazoo -- especially there
3. smooth, accessible power band
4. cornering almost like a sport touring bike
5. sure footed and solid ABS braking system
6. reliable -- I have no fear of taking her anywhere
7. can be ridden hard for hours through tough courses like the tail of the dragon.
8. superb driver and passenger wind protection when you want it
9. reasonable carrying capacity
10. nice acceleration in her power bands
11. reasonable fuel economy
12. easy to use electronic cruise control
13. great heated seats and grips

We all know what we don't like about these beasts, but I have found once you add up the benefits, the things we are not so pleased with, like parking lot speed handling and overall weight, seem pretty insignificant. I've owned and ridden a lot of motorcycles. My happiest and most exhilerating times have been spent on my 2000 LTC. It's now pushing 64,000 miles and the only things I've had to replace besides tires, fluids and a battery are: throttle cables, a fork seal, and O2 sensor.
Gotta say, my wife and I continue to love this girl. Hope to put a few more thousand hard miled on her again this summer. See ya on the roads of America.
Thanks Greg,
So nice to see an all too rare positive post on this board. Not because there are not lots of positive things to say ... just that people come here to have problems solved more often than to share their wonder at the machine.
Just about to bail my 02 out of the dealer after a rear main seal and a bunch of other expensive stuff and I can't wait. I think it's well worth the expense.
Like the other GW comments in this thread ........ riding it is just boring ... like driving a 2 wheeled Corolla
Enjoy a safe season !!
Keir

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in