Changing injector o rings - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

Changing injector o rings

Have my 2000 tore down due to a leaking crank case distribution hose. So while it's down I'll do other maintenance in the area.
Searched the How To for injectors and could not come up with anything. Do the yellow plastic tips come off the injectors for o ring replacement?
Or do you just roll them over? I see plastic washers also on the parts fiche which would be impossible to get over the plastic, hence my wondering if it comes off easily. Kind of funny that the parts fiche does not show the plastic tip at all in the pictures.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:39 am

Re: Changing injector o rings

Wally,
Last year I had to remove the fuel intake system to replace the rubber sleeves between the throttle bodies and the intake manifold. I also replaced all o-rings on the assembly while I had everything apart. On the injectors, just lube the o-rings and injector with a light coating of oil and roll them on gently.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

That's what I'll do. I was just curious because the schematics don't show the plastic tips so I thought they could be easily removed.

On another note why did you have to replace the rubber boots on the throttle bodies? I have a 2000 and they do not look bad. Maybe I'll just replace the lowers since it's such a pain to get this far anyway. 25 bucks is a small price to pay to have to tear it down again.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT

post #4 of 5 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 2:02 pm

Just lube and roll on the new o-rings. Lube liberally. Be careful not to stretch them on...or nick them.

Lube the hole and o-rings when you push /wiggle the injectors back in so you don't scuff them. Try not to use anything sharp on them.

if you are in there and hit any "bummy" or soft or hard rubber parts, replace.

Good luck!
post #5 of 5 Old Apr 14th, 2009, 9:55 pm

Wink Re: Changing injector o rings

Wally,
I changed the lower rubber sleeves because someone in the past had it apart and when they re-assembled the sleeves between the throttle bodies and the intake manifold the rear sleeve did not seat properly. The result was an erratic idle. An easy check for an air leak is to spray a small amount of starting fluid around the throttle body assembly, if there is a leak, you will get a sudden rise in RPM.
As a matter of habit, when I have something apart, I always replace any gaskets, o-rings or seals. Sort of future preventive maintance.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in