Dumb Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Dumb Question

First thanks to the members here for answering questions I have had so far. Now the new question. At the expense of sounding stupid (not that that is something new for me) How do you use reverse? I've never had a bike with reverse and Don't have an owners manual or know any body in the area with one of these beautiful bikes to ask.

Thanks from a newbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:34 am

Re: Dumb Question

Bubba,
First, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Reverse uses the starter for power, not the engine - so clutch management is not an issue. Put the bike in neutral, place the reverse lever into reverse, then press the starter button. The engine speed will increase to offset the load on the battery. Enjoy the ride - they are sweet.

Ron Raddas
99 LT
post #3 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:37 am
LAF
Lifetime Supporter

Bike running.
Bike in N
Switch knob to R
Push Starter button.

You go at a pretty slow pace, but reasonable. Great out of parking spots on grades, or when you can not duck walk a 900 LBS backward.

I have to say other then just wanting to make jaws drop, I don't use it much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbubba
First thanks to the members here for answering questions I have had so far. Now the new question. At the expense of sounding stupid (not that that is something new for me) How do you use reverse? I've never had a bike with reverse and Don't have an owners manual or know any body in the area with one of these beautiful bikes to ask.

Thanks from a newbie

Lee
17.5 R1200 GSW Black Low
15 R1200 RTLC San Marino Blue Metallic (Sold)
10 Liquid Silver FJR1300 (Sold)
O7 Biarritz Blue Metallic LT (Totaled 2010)
ATGATT I am breathing proof.
BMW MOA #135959

post #4 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:58 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAF
Bike running.
Bike in N
Switch knob to R
Push Starter button.

You go at a pretty slow pace, but reasonable. Great out of parking spots on grades, or when you can not duck walk a 900 LBS backward.

I have to say other then just wanting to make jaws drop, I don't use it much.
I like the "jaw drop" part! In fact last weekend we were on ride with my Blue Knights Chapter and made a pit stop. My wife had gotten off and was playing with a video camera. When we got home we here on one of the videos "Hey! He's got reverse!"

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 9:15 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Raddas
Bubba,
First, there is no such thing as a dumb question. Reverse uses the starter for power, not the engine - so clutch management is not an issue. Put the bike in neutral, place the reverse lever into reverse, then press the starter button. The engine speed will increase to offset the load on the battery. Enjoy the ride - they are sweet.
I wish they had used something other than the starter button. It is hard for me to hit that when the engine is running!!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager
I wish they had used something other than the starter button. It is hard for me to hit that when the engine is running!!
Get over it! As you age, you'll find you have to use a lot of buttons you'd never thought should ever be touched (including the blue ones).
post #7 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 6:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. The reverse is the bomb! a real back saver.
post #8 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:54 pm

Not only is it a back saver. You will find that there are times that you can't backup without it.

If I backing up a bit of an incline and there is any gravel, I have to have the reverse. You will find it to be a life saver over and over.

I went on a ride in East Texas today with some friends from work. One was riding a Vulcan 1600. While turning around he let his front tire slip into a hole. We pushed him out. With the reverse you can extricate yourself from many situations that would require a push. Enjoy your new ride and don't hesitate to ask questions. I have asked many and have found folks here to be super helpful.

Have a great ride,

David
Dallas, TX
2006 K1200GT
BMWMOA 142756
post #9 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:58 pm Thread Starter

Thanks David, my bike is the impala brown also. Got a couple of compliments today on it.
post #10 of 15 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Thumbs up Re: Dumb Question

LOL..............for old f-rts like myself , it's a life saver. I use reverse each time I back out of my garage. The old "truck driver" in me usually kicks in before I park somewhere so I'm already headed out. I use reverse almost everyday, year around. I didn't miss riding many days this winter in my neck of the woods.

Do you have any more questions?? This is the place to ask.

Enjoy your ride!

Vern

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #11 of 15 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:40 am

Garage

I first try to back it up with foot power, but right after my foot slips and I have a flash vision of trying to keep it from tipping over, or I strain mightily to no avail, I stop what I'm doing, flip the lever to REV and mash the green button.
post #12 of 15 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 12:22 pm

Three weeks ago I had an appointment to see about a seat repair at a shop in an industrial strip mall. Arrived for 10 am- it was 1˚C.

Pulled in to angle park in front of the shop and, due to a tall adjacent building which shadowed the parking lot, there was ice covering the shaded section. I chose my angle so I could back out onto bare asphalt, and had the seat looked at.

Just before I got ready to leave, a long pickup pulled in and parked beside my bike, cutting off my retreat to the bare pavement. The driver went into his business, and locked the shop door behind him.

Now I'm left with no room to turn around- the only option was to back/turn out onto the pebbled ice and then pull away. I knew that pushing the bike back with my feet on the ice was foolish- I was so afraid the bike was going down on the ice, and that it would stay there, since footing was so bad that lifting it would just result in further drops.

That's when I used reverse for the first time. A big guy from the seat recovering company came out to watch my predicament, but there was nothing he could do.

I started the bike, clicked the reverse lever, and keeping both feet on the ice, gingerly backed the LT out onto the ice, concentrating on keeping it as straight-up as possible. Just as the front tire reached the ice I had enough angle to ease the clutch out and idle forward onto bare pavement, my heart hammering in my chest.

I think I was very fortunate to escape without a drop, but I learned that, as in daily riding, anticipation is the best way to stay out of situations like that. Without reverse, I couldn't have pushed the bike back with my feet without a nasty slip.
post #13 of 15 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 8:38 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Now that I know how much a starter cost & how much labor is involved to replace it I'm careful when I park. I did have to use it twice this weekend on loose gravel and I still use my feet to help as much as I can.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #14 of 15 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:27 pm

I would be totally screwed with my LT without reverse. I'm vertically challenged anyway (5'7), so using my feet to push back doesn't become much advantage. (Kinda funny to watch, so I'm told) Besides that, I kinda get off on all the "Wooooooohhhhssssss!"

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #15 of 15 Old Apr 13th, 2009, 6:12 am

I tend to not use the Reverse; I park pointing up-hill and let gravity pull me out of the spot. Pointing the bike pointing downhill in the parking spot is cool; using the reverse adds to the cool points for getting it up the hill - - until you forget to park it against the compression stroke when you get off.

Avatar credit: Curtis Callaway, 2009
Rider of Stahlross
1999 Basalt Grey LT
2001 Classic Red Ducati 748

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in