Radio/ Speaker Issue - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 4:04 pm Thread Starter

Question Radio/ Speaker Issue

I just bought an 02 LT and I love it. I do have an issue and need some help. My radio works however, when I turn on the bike all of the speakers work for about 5 seconds and then they go dead with the exception of the right rear speaker. Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 5:36 pm

Re: Radio/ Speaker Issue

Pretty sure your head unit needs to be replaced.
Mine did that until only one channel would work when I started the bike.

I replaced the head unit and all has been fine for the last two years.
There are some fixes if you search, however, none seemed to correct my problem.

A new unit is over 500.00... Ouch.
There are some replacement options as well.

Like a marine radio.
Of coarse you loose the handle bar controls.

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #3 of 8 Old Apr 10th, 2009, 5:53 pm Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess I am going to have to face the facts.

post #4 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 4:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankman1001
Thanks. I guess I am going to have to face the facts.
Before you replace the radio, do a H.O.W. search and review earlier threads on the subject. There are many suggestions, from poor stingray connections to the use of an external amplifier to disguise the fault.

If you do have to replace the head unit, there in NO need to loosen the handlebar controls, they are not in the way, so not sure where that suggestion came from!

First step always is to check, clean and refit the stingray and radio area plugs. Especially important if a smart smack to the roundel makes the symptom come and go.

There have been some that have changed to a non standard head unit. Be aware that some aftermarket units can be adapted to use the original volume / channel etc controls, but the stingray buttons will NOT work.

Be careful with the stingray plugs and sockets, squeezing them together is an awkward operation of getting your hand up the innards! Quite easy to lose a piece of skin from your finger!

Just pussin' through.
post #5 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 5:28 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajlelectronics
If you do have to replace the head unit, there in NO need to loosen the handlebar controls, they are not in the way, so not sure where that suggestion came from!
Please reread my comment...

If you put a marine radio on your BMW or any aftermarket radio... Will your handle bar controls for the radio work?

NO!

Hense; you loose the handle bar controls.
I never attempted to tell him how to remove the system. My post would have been much longer, wouldn't it?

Visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #6 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 6:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC
Please reread my comment...

If you put a marine radio on your BMW or any aftermarket radio... Will your handle bar controls for the radio work?

NO!

I never attempted to tell him how to remove the system. My post would have been much longer, wouldn't it?
I hate to be picky Mike, but you lose use of the handle bar controls not loose them.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #7 of 8 Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC

You may well LOSE the control but you will not loose it any more than you would tighten it.

Your spelling is what caused the confusion.

LOOSE is the opposite of TIGHT

LOSE is the opposite of FIND

HTH

Just pussin' through.
post #8 of 8 Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:58 am

Before you buy an expensive stereo head unit from your local BMW dealer do your due diligence, trouble shoot your system yourself or have dealer do the work. Once you have identify the problem and you know the parts needed your two options to get your system in working order. You can use new dealer parts or you can try and find used parts. Finding used parts may take a few days or weeks but almost any part can be found as a used salvage part. You usually only pay a fraction of the price for used parts. I have used Ebay and Beemer Bone Yard www.beemerboneyard.com with great success. Beemer Bone Yard is usually very good and can help you find the parts you need. Ebay takes a little longer but I have obtained some incredible deals on Ebay. Almost all BMW parts have a part numbers stamped on them so yo can ensure you get the correct parts. My BMW dealer is more then willing to install used parts for me. I have never received any D.O.A. part from Ebay or Beemer Bone Yard.
Some BMW parts are priced at levels that are so crazy you would think you were buying parts for the space shuttle. My LT received a nasty rock chip / crack on the small painted portion on the left mirror. I went to the dealer and wanted to purchase a replacement part to keep my bike looking pristine.... my dealer said he could have the part in 7 days for me... no problem....the price was $170.00 plus tax!!!!! I was thinking $40.00 to $70.00 but never $170.00. Needless to say I told the dealer to keep his part.
I called Beemer Bone Yard, they had the part, five days later I received my mirror part for $29.00 plus $8.00 shipping. The part was in perfect condition and I saved over $130.00 over the price of a new part.
I think the new vs. used parts issue is can be best stated by saying "it depends on how deep your pockets are". All this said some parts should NEVER be purchased as used parts unless you really know what you are doing. Some frame parts may look just like new but if they came off a wrecked salvage bike they may have damaged that is not visible to the necked eye. Damaged fork or frame items can create catastrophic handling issues if installed. Never compromise safety to save money. Hope this helps. Steve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in